Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone tried Macafem  (Read 131928 times)

Gerry

Anyone tried Macafem
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

Has anyone tried Macafem, it is a non-estrogenic herb, and is said to "help restore natural hormones in women. Unlike hormone drugs, which are basically resumed in taking synthetic hormones, Macafem acts totally different in your body. It nourishes and stimulates your own natural hormone production" (quote taken from literature).
I am not keen to take HRT as it has its own problems, but this Macafem sounds interesting if it works. So is there anyone out there who has has tried it, and did it work?  :D

sweatybet

Re: Anyone tried Macafem
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

Hi Gerry research has shown no benefit from using these supplements except to manufacturers pocket.   Most of us don't want to resort to HRT but many feel they have no life without it.  With the recent research showing it is now safe and of benefit to women, do your homework on here and talk to your GP about your options.

Best wishes

bramble

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »

There was a huge thread I think on the old forum which talked about Maca. Like most things, some thought it was a miracle potion and others rated it badly. It is a case of try it and see I'm afraid.

Bramble

Gerry

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »

Thanks for thoughts on Macafem, but still is there anyone out there who has tried it, and has personal experience that it works or does not work.

lady57

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »

Yes, i tried it 2 years ago, it made me ill as it interfered with the uptake of my thyroid medications. My consultant was not pleased and he told me not to take unproven supplements as they affect the uptake of things. Even iron and iodine in vitamin and mineral supplements are to be avoided with thyroid disease.

If you do not have thyroid issues then i sould suggest you try it yourself as other ladies experiences might not be the same as yours anyway.

Personally i have spent a lot of money on these supplements i think the manufacturers rely on this.

bramble

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

I did try Maca myself. Didn't do anything for me in regards to hot flushes, anxiety, tiredness etc etc. I suppose it will depend on what symptoms you are looking for it to help with. It is more or less just a vitamin supplement. But if you think it will help, then you are halfway there.
Bramble

Gerry

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »

Thanks again for all your feedback. The reason I am interested in Macafem, is on the whole I am fairly health and fit, take regular exercise and watch my diet, but suffer from what may be classed as mild menopause symptoms, in comparison to other peoples severity.
I do take vitamin supplements ie Vit C, Cod Liver oil, Calcium, and have no side affects from those, in fact I think they help my general well being for my age. So this why I am interested in Macafem, because if it relieved (if only slightly) my night flushes, and palpitations, then it would be a bonus, the other symptoms likes aches, lack of get up and go that I experience, I feel are also age related.
So keep sending your experiences, they all help towards me deciding if to part with my money and give them a go or not.

Bette

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

Hi Gerry
 :welcomemm:
Have you looked through the "Alternative Therapies" and "Alternative Techniques" sections of the menu on the left? You might get some more ideas there. Good to hear that your meno symptoms are fairly mild - long may it continue!
Bette x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »

:welcomemm:

Many women start out on supplements. I tried sage which really did not work. I was 47 and fit and healthy with a good diet. It was the gradual increase in flushes that drove me to HRT. I could not cope with no sleep, flushing every 30 mins day and night.

I am very glad I did go down the HRT route as recent research has proved that not only am I helping meno symptoms but also protecting against heart disease and osteoporosis.

Each one to their own, but the only fail safe treatment is HRT.

Honeyb
x

Gerry

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »

I appreciate your feed back. My hot flushes rarely happen during the day, and I live in a warm climate, at night I may wake off and on and throw off the covers, its uncomfortable but most off the time I still seem to get enough sleep, the palpitations also come and go, but are unnerving when they happen out off the blue. So I do understand about HRT, but I don't think my symptoms are that bad yet, maybe they will get worse, so will cross that bridge when if it happens, but in mean time I will try Maca, as some reviews seem positive. I will feed back how I got on with it.

lady57

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »

Good luck Gerry, only you can tell if it suits you. If it is at all reassuring my own menopause symptoms are similar to yours and have never got bad enough to requite the minefield of finding an HRT that suits me. I don't like them when they trouble me but i can live with them. :)

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »

Hi Gerry. I would just like to give my experiences of HRT. My night sweats turned into day sweats eventually and I was having them every 20 minutes day and night. Years ago I had sworn never to go down the HRT route - I was far to strong to need such a thing - and I soldiered on for much longer than I should have done. By the time I did ask my GP for HRT I was very down and almost incapable of doing my job. I had the sweats of course plus joint aches, bleeding gums, really dry skin and hair, no energy whatsoever, vaginal dryness and was very depressed. My GP was against HRT so it took a few more months before it was prescribed. Once I was on it I felt so much better and my life was enjoyable again and I was really annoyed at myself for putting it off for so long.

Leave your options open but if you do find that you struggle then it may be worth considering HRT. Many women, such as Jane, find their symptoms are manageable without HRT but it is not something to be fought against if you find it gets too difficult.

Taz x

lady57

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »

I would just like to add that if my situation changed and my symptoms became worse or unmanageable i would not hesitate to ask my doctor to let me try an HRT. I am not against it at all but at the moment i do not want to upset my system especially as it seems that it can take a while to find one that suits.

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »

Some are lucky Jane. I have only tried one type of HRT and it worked for me. I had requested patches as I have an iffy tum and did not want pills. My flushes were terrible and when I started the patches within three days they had stopped.

They are not a cure all and I suffer now from anxiety but heaven only knows what I would be like without my little patch.
Its not something I intend to find out anytime soon.

I like Taz, had decided I would never have to resort to HRT...they were for weak women who fussed over things. How wrong was I. Who would have thought that getting hot and sweaty could have such an effect. I really envy those who do not need any treatment and can manage without medicine.

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:51:02 PM by honeybun »

lady57

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »

I have a friend who is 59 and has never had one hot flush but i realise she is unusual. As long as i can sleep and do not suffer during the day (apart from wearing a t shirt on my husband's day off as he feels the cold and puts the heating on) i do not want to upset my system. However i am going to ask my doctor's advice when i go in 2 weeks as my recent DEXA scan has shown a slight deterioration from the last one three years ago but not enough to take biphosphonates and i think HRT can help protect bones or have i got that wrong?
Pages: [1] 2