Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem Update  (Read 18816 times)

Suzi Q

Re: Vagifem Update
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:54 AM »

Who said cant be used for longer than 3 months?
Where does it say that is that in UK?
My cousins been on Vagifem longer than me 5 years? She lives in Cheshire
Her GP is a male close to retirement and said she shouldnt have to put up with needless pain
She like me has an exam every 12/18mnths or if theres anything wrong
Where is it said its Licensed for 3 mnths use only?
Please let us ladies know where it says that wed all be really interested to read it

As for weeing etc Vagifem does sometimes fail not for long just what I call iffy days here and there its never like it was
Im having an iffy couple of days feel like I want to wee a bit more and feel slight pressure yet waters Clear as a bell

An idea if you have 6 weeks left you could say use 1 25mg and 1 10mg a week see how it feels ease it back slowly
Better than going for 50m a week to 20m a week lit overnight you could even ring surgery ask if thats OK? xxx

Lynne888

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »

Hi Suzi.. that's a brilliant idea, I WILL use a 25 and then a 10 to allow my body to get used to taking less. I'm pleased you have said that some iffy days. I feel better about that as I know it will probably all get better again!

The GP said it is licensed for 3 months. I told her people on here had been taking it for a number of years so she got a book out and checked and said that it IS licensed (approved) for 3 months. She said I could take it longer but that it was my decision to do that. I even asked her if the book was up to date and she said new updates are sent automatically.   I've done a search on google and there are several things about UK licensing laws (most of which I can't understand!) but I DID find this below. There are several similar things online, I have no idea how up to date it is and my guess is that the three month thing may not be as up to date as it should be  :-\

Concerns have been expressed that the continuous use of low-dose vaginal oestrogens could result in sufficient systemic absorption to stimulate endometrial hyperplasia. The majority of preparations are only licensed for 3-6 months of continuous use in the UK and, whilst observational studies suggest the safety of longer-term use, there is a lack of randomised prospective studies confirming this
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:18:36 AM by Lynne888 »

borchesterlass

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

Lynne888 , I switched from 25mg to 10mg. I did this straight off and towards the end of the second week of lower dose I thought I was going to regret the change. things did settle down and have been on 10mg dose twice a week for a year now. I moved house and switched drs. the new practise isn't entirely happy with continuous use . They sent me for an ultra sound scan of womb lining last November and as the thickness of  womb was ok thay allowed repeat prescrition. Have to have another scan this November.
Vagifem has certainly changed my life , occasionally get frequency of urination and nearly always get up once in the night. But can go for long walks and do aerobics etc now without any discomfort. Very occasionally I get a blip and use an extra one. This has happened once in the last year.

MINNIE

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 10:45:44 AM »

Morning ladies.

Just picked up this thread. Lynne888, I saw a menopause consultant in Leeds, and she said that I could use Vagifem for the rest of my life, I am only 54!

MINNIE XXX

Lynne888

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »

Minnie - that's very interesting, thank you for that! I shall tell the GP this when I next go!  Borchester Lass, thank you for the info on the 10's. Hopefully things will settle down for me. It's not great at the moment. I'm going to the loo every hour which is still good as I was going every 5 mins at it's worst!

I have collected my prescription. GP has prescribed a 3 month supply so that will be 6 months in total. Unless I have a need to go back to see her with the urinary frequency, I won't see her until November. I will see what she has to say then if I want more!!

Lynne888

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »

That's good Mrs Purple. Thanks!  I know in my posts it probably comes over that my GP is against giving me vagifem, this is because I only put the main points of the conversation on here. Without reciting word for word what is said, it is difficult to get the whole story across.  She is very supportive and I am so pleased she offered the vagifem in the first place as I was in such a mess, unable to leave the house, dog walk or travel. I cannot express what an absolute nightmare it was. Vagifem has changed my life completely.  She is delighted about that but thinks other stuff would be equally as good if not better. As I'm settled with the vagifem I want to stay on it and she didn't try and sway me not to stay on it, she just chatted about the options and why she preferred to move me to estring. Anyway, for the next 3 months I'm OK at least! I suppose the next visit will be more telling!! I might go off her completely!!!

Suzi Q

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »

I was sure you could dtay on Vagifem
Wonder how old that writing is?
Anyway Im glad my idea has given you food for thought
It cant hurt can it ease down gently let your body get used to less

I read again and maybe its just that shes used to giving people certain stuff and when someone comes in with a new demand shes warey i suppose thats a good thing
Ifyou like Vagifem like me dont like the idea of having sumat shoved up inside every 3months
Then keep asking for Vagifem but also get check ups I do
Last one 4 internals one after the other last one feeling my ovaries FROM THE INSIDE EWWW didnt hurt just uncomfy

Eddie

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

My GP still thinks that you need a month off every 6 months. Eddie. x

Suzi Q

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »

That sounds like the old Pill thing does anyone remember that
6months on 1 month off
I know of 3 kids born cos of that rule hehehehehe

scriv

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »

Lynne888, I am really interested to know how you are progressing and whether you are managing on Vagifem 10 x  twice weekly or have switched to Estring??

I have a similar problem!

Scriv
Pages: 1 [2]