Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74]

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 250346 times)

Aprilflower

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #1095 on: June 17, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »

Is your daughter in law vaccinated Taz2??

I only ask because from what I understand the vaccine does not prevent you catching Covid, in just reduces the chances of serious illness.  In that case, even if the carers are fully vaccinated, there is no guarantee they will not infect her.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1096 on: June 17, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »

R they doing regular 'flow' tests 4 their own protection?  Wearing full PPP - not the silly aprons that don't cover a fig but full uniforms with extra covering? 

People continue to pass on viruses year round.  This is so new that it was devastating so hopefully vaccination will pave the way to at least reduce the risks of anyone catching it badly. 

How anyone can be in the 'care' industry unvaccinated I can't understand  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #1097 on: September 26, 2021, 04:29:46 PM »

Bump

C.C.

« Reply #1098 on: September 27, 2021, 04:37:16 PM »

My Dad is 88 and he is noticebly getting more frail and unsteady on his feet.  I may have to have that conversation with him about getting some help around the house, or maybe a walker.  When he comes to visit (he still drives or now he prefers I pick him up),  he can't navigate our front steps anymore, I have to bring him through the garage so that he only has one step up to get into the house.

CLKD

« Reply #1099 on: September 27, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

"What would you advise a friend Dad who is finding steps difficult?" 

CLKD

new government ideas about fees ( elderly relatives )
« Reply #1100 on: November 23, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »

I haven't read the statement about care fees - any1 been able to follow what the government thinks is 'sensible'  :-\

How's Dad C.C.?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1101 on: November 23, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »

I don’t understand all this new stuff about care home fees.  All I know is that I recently totted up what my late Mum spent in 3 years and it was just over £141,000.  It still upsets me to think about all that money just gone when Mum and Dad worked so hard and after 30+ years of renting their council house finally bought it and told us kids that they did this to make sure we all got a bit more than they were ever given.

It also staggers me that people like my Mum who self fund have to pay for example £4,000 a month for their care when social services just pay £3,000 a month for exactly the same care, room, food etc for people they fund.  that is totally unfair.

CLKD

« Reply #1102 on: November 23, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »

It is unfair.  Which is why no home should have social care and self funding clients. 

Mum doesn't get anything 'extra' from those on social security which is what 'they' seem to not understand!!!  I have no problem with paying fees because it's for the whole building etc.; my bug bear is that the government's of the day have had no idea as to how social care works: out of sight, out of mind.

However: if 1 wants to give children 'something' then do it now.  Don't wait!  'now' is when youngsters require the monies in many cases so hand it over.  If there isn't going to be enough ones fees are settled, why should the children think that they have a 'right' to it, even if the parents have made that suggestion?  Surely it's about keeping relatives in safe environment?

There is a cap on what each of us can give to living relatives annually, to avoid people taking themselves out of the ability to self fund. That's without realising the options available. 

C.C.

Re: new government ideas about fees ( elderly relatives )
« Reply #1103 on: November 23, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »

I haven't read the statement about care fees - any1 been able to follow what the government thinks is 'sensible'  :-\

How's Dad C.C.?

Dad is doing ok.  :thankyou:  Went over to see him on the weekend, asked if he wanted help with his groceries but insisted he was ok to do it himself.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1104 on: November 23, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »

It is unfair.  Which is why no home should have social care and self funding clients. 

Mum doesn't get anything 'extra' from those on social security which is what 'they' seem to not understand!!!  I have no problem with paying fees because it's for the whole building etc.; my bug bear is that the government's of the day have had no idea as to how social care works: out of sight, out of mind.

However: if 1 wants to give children 'something' then do it now.  Don't wait!  'now' is when youngsters require the monies in many cases so hand it over.  If there isn't going to be enough ones fees are settled, why should the children think that they have a 'right' to it, even if the parents have made that suggestion?  Surely it's about keeping relatives in safe environment?

There is a cap on what each of us can give to living relatives annually, to avoid people taking themselves out of the ability to self fund. That's without realising the options available.

There was never anything to “give now”!!  ::)

My parents just kept their heads above water, didn’t waste a penny, didn’t smoke or drink and never had a foreign holiday in their lives.  My dad died first and when Mum died she was actually on Pension Credit as she had so little savings.  They were proud that they finally bought their house as it was heavily discounted and always said that their parents were not able to help them out when they were young (like so many of that generation) but it pleased them that they could leave us something.

I certainly didn’t feel I had “a right” to whatever was left.  I know my Mum was really well cared for in the second home she went to and they all loved her there.  However, it would have been a different scenario if she had paid all that money out and she was not well looked after. 

CLKD

« Reply #1105 on: November 23, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »

We were lucky in that I never had to pay for holidays that Dad took us on.  Mum would pack a case for each of us, he would drive ........ they would argue  >:( - Dad found good B&B for us.  My friends at the same time had to work Sat jobs to pay for any trips.  Mum would pack a box of goodies when we left from a visit, i.e. C.mas/Easter. 

Apparently her Mum baked a sponge and sent to where she was in TTraining College in 1946.  Food was never wasted, left overs were common: bubble and squeak anyone? so making the most of everything has been handed down.  I want the best for Mum as possible from her savings ..........

Ju Ju

« Reply #1106 on: November 24, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »

Mum and Dad inherited some money a few years back. It cushioned their last few years together. I had no idea how generous my Dad was, eg buying a stairlift for friends in need. Makes me proud. Trouble was piecing together where the money was as his paperwork was all over the place.I think with age things fell apart. It was a jigsaw. But the money left gives us breathing space before selling her house. Dad always said I would inherit and my answer was that the money would be there if care was needed. And it is. Yes it would be nice to inherit something, particularly after the stress of dealing with Mum during the last year, but whatever happens will happen. At least I know she is being looked after even if she hates it.

CLKD

« Reply #1107 on: November 24, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »

:foryou:

CLKD

« Reply #1108 on: February 17, 2022, 03:07:56 PM »

Bounced .

CLKD