Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 252450 times)

Ju Ju

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #1020 on: January 28, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »

I'm frustrated I can't go and see them. But at least we can talk on the phone. They seem to take strength from that. Mum says the decision to discharge her came after Dad had left to visit her. The long journey was caused by one of the passengers losing his key and no one was home, so the driver decided it was time efficient to drop off other passengers to a town further afield. And of course there were traffic jams. I have never regretted moving away. None of the advantages of town living, just the disadvantages.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1021 on: July 14, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

4 Pennyfarthing .......... feet up, cuppa to hand  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #1022 on: May 20, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »

Does anyone know how it is possible for the Council to snatch back 'top up' fees from a client to cover a 'short-fall' of care at that particular Home?Surely no one can take money from a Bank Account without the owner signing forms?  The family in particular have been told that they will have to pay the top up fee because their relative is reusing to do so  :-\

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #1023 on: May 20, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »

Hi CLKD
Do you know what the top up is for?
When my mom was in a care home, she had her state pension took off her for ‘payment'
They only left her with about £18 per week.
If she'd had her hair done, or nails cut, or feet done, we would have to pay separate for that.(which was a lot more than her £18)
Mom had no money, other than a small bit of savings that her and Dad saved.
I really don't think they can just take the money from the bank account, they will ask relatives
to pay. But if they refuse, I think it will be took out of the persons estate when they die.
I will ask my OH when he gets back, he's more clued up on things like that than I am.

Jd x

CLKD

« Reply #1024 on: May 20, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »

This family has been unable to gain Power of Attorney.  Maybe she was taken to the Bank to sign forms.  Top us usually due to the local authority not paying enough to cover the cost of each resdident so that at the end of the week, there is a short-fall for each client.  What happens if there simply ain't enough money!  If one is in Hospital for a few weeks the Pension is used for the B&B side of care.  Nursing care is free at the point of delivery, i.e. in the GP Surgery, Practice Nurse Advice, Hospital admission - free. 

I hear people telling me "I have to pay top up fees" - nope.  You don't.  What will happen if they don't, they simply haven't asked the question.  We are not responsible for another persons' debts!  not even your spouses debts.  The Home in which Mum stays has a shortfall every week for those in council care whereas Mum self funds her complete service requirements. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #1025 on: May 20, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »

They can't take her to the bank to sign forms can they?
Is  she compusmentus ?
Even so, if she's got money in her bank account and the family can't, or won't pay, it'll
Be paid when the person dies, out of their estate. If they've got any.
It's not their fault there is a short fall every month, surely, that's down to the local council
to pay.... they should get onto them...
I'd tell them not to pay anything, and I wouldn't...

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #1026 on: May 20, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »

Hi CLKD
Just asked OH and he said, if they haven't got power of attorney, then they are not
responsible nor required to pay relatives bills.
If the  care home top up fees exceed the councils limit for that care home, then
you either pay,  or move to a cheaper home that IS fully funded by the council.
That's the way it is in his mind..

Jd x

CLKD

« Reply #1027 on: May 20, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »

Trouble is, how does one find out whether the home is fully funded?  The Client is there.  Relatives are getting letters saying that they have to pay the top up but no one is responsible for anothers debts  :-\.   

She has been diagnosed with vascular dementia

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #1028 on: May 20, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »

They have to get touch with social services, or tell the care home that they're
Not paying for it. If social services sorted it all out at the beginning then they
should be informed that there's a short fall every month, and that they (the family)
are being asked to pay, which they won't/ can't..
Social services should be informed.
If they're a self funded client then I'm afraid they'll have to wait for they're money until
The person passes away, then it'll come out of there estate. Like you say, no one is
responsible for another's debt.

Jd x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1029 on: May 21, 2018, 03:16:37 PM »

Mum is currently paying £800 a week for her care home.  I could cry when I see her bank statements and how the money is disappearing so fast.  She spent her life cleaning peoples houses and scrubbing floors and never got a penny in benefits nor did my Dad.  They never had a foreign holiday, they had ancient cars, they never smoked or drank or gambled and they just kept their heads above water all their lives with no help from anybody.

I'd better stop there as it makes me so upset and angry.

CLKD

« Reply #1030 on: May 21, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »

Is it £800 going from her account or is there extra that is un-accounted for?  :-\ They lived as they choose PF.  Isn't it better that your Mum has comfortable care?  Mine pays £700 a week: full board, personal laundry done daily, sheets changed weekly, no housework to do; coffee/tea/biscuits when necessary; assisted bathing - for that alone she was paying £17.00 per week at home; trips out in the mini bus.  Maintenance man is there twice a week.   He helps her with a small garden outside her room.  Visitors as and when.  She isn't confined, we can collect/return her when we are over there.  People do visit with her.  She has a day room with activities should she choose to partake.

When we go to a Hotel we pay £100.00 per night, B&B; lunch or evening meal extra and no free laundry done. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #1031 on: May 21, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »

I'm with you penny farthing,
My parents we're exactly the same,
even their well off son didn't help them.
But that's a different story..

Jd xx

CLKD

« Reply #1032 on: May 21, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »

They made their choices though.  Save it or spend it.  What's the money for if not to have a comfortable lodging with care ?  If parents want their children to have the money, give it to them now!!!!  Otherwise ........ also, it's the parents' monies; they could have gone on holiday, had days out, meals out, but they choose not to.  This isn't ours to regret  ::).

I don't think that, by the time we need it, there will be a care system at all unless the Government starts paying full whack for clients that require care.  Of course, the Government of the Day won't have to worry, will they. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1033 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »

Is it £800 going from her account or is there extra that is un-accounted for?  :-\ They lived as they choose PF.  Isn't it better that your Mum has comfortable care?  Mine pays £700 a week: full board, personal laundry done daily, sheets changed weekly, no housework to do; coffee/tea/biscuits when necessary; assisted bathing - for that alone she was paying £17.00 per week at home; trips out in the mini bus.  Maintenance man is there twice a week.   He helps her with a small garden outside her room.  Visitors as and when.  She isn't confined, we can collect/return her when we are over there.  People do visit with her.  She has a day room with activities should she choose to partake.

When we go to a Hotel we pay £100.00 per night, B&B; lunch or evening meal extra and no free laundry done.

Mum is being very well cared for and has a lovely, bright and sunny room. the meals are fabulous and the staff are all great at this home where she's been since November. She had 9 months in a home prior to this and althought it started well, they were not nice to her, she lost loads of weight and was very unhappy. 

Mum didnt really have much choice as she needed to keep a roof over her head. She had little in the way of savings so was entitled to pension credit as all she had was her state pension but she did own her house but now thats had to be sold to pay her bills.

CLKD

« Reply #1034 on: May 22, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »

That's what the properties are for, look on it as part of the Pension?  as is the free TV Licence scheme over a certain age.  I'm pleased that she is happy now .......... I can watch my Mum on Facebook, can you see what yours is up to?

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 74