Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Soap residue (washing smells )  (Read 100394 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: washing smells
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2023, 06:38:27 PM »

I've read the True Earth web-site tnx. 

The laundry seems to be clean and not over perfumed. 

CLKD

« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2023, 11:54:46 AM »

Hot weather presents a unique chance to get as much washing done as possible before you have to turn the heating on again.

And as the UK experiences a late summer heatwave, you might have noticed more laundry drying outdoors than usual.

But when the sun fades and you're back to wondering whether you can squeeze your favourite T-shirt on to the clothes horse, there's one item lots of us overlook.

Our towels.

Just how often should you be washing and changing them?

Interesting article.  I wash ours every couple of days in this hot weather and when we aren't drying them on the radiators.  Along with flannels.  Sheets weekly ........ I wouldn't consider leaving laundry more than 5 days at the most, the night B4 we go away the machine is on the go. 

Autumnwalks

« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2023, 05:50:19 PM »

I suppose it just comes down to personal preferences as no one's going to check. I wash once a week as I have no means of drying apart from an airer and wash bedding every three weeks or so.

CLKD

« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »

The article goes onto explain how many nasty bugs may lurk  :o in unwashed bedding and towels.   :o

Autumnwalks

« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2023, 07:31:45 PM »

Sounds an interesting read. I'd be interested to know which type of bugs would be in the bedding and what the resulting bugs might do to harm us. Are they caused by sweat etc presuming that's as dirty as our sheets ever get. ;)  We're all encouraged to wash cooler these days. I do everything on 30 as it's a short wash. I do wonder how much is media hype that everything has to be disinfected to an inch of its life in our houses as we're all surrounded by dangerous germs. Presumably most of us aren't living in filth! I'm sure a lot of the cleaning products do us more harm with all the fumes we're breathing in from them. Don't we all have bed bugs running around in our mattresses?

CLKD

« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2023, 07:53:44 PM »

The article is available on BBC News

Bacteria good/bad will be present in our sweat which will lurk.  Also, all that skin that we shed = mites that feed on it.  Bed bugs World wide are taking over. Apparently.  None in our bedding !  nor fleas. 

I won't wash cooler : 30 x 30 : unless it's for light items.  All our sheets/towels/underwear are done at 40.  I also don't use conditioner because if the rinse cycle is good, any residue should be rinsed out.  If I don't use a hot wash with a long spin, some laundry remains sticky.

Taz2

« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2023, 06:34:32 AM »

Don't we all have bed bugs running around in our mattresses?
. I think you're thinking of dust mites?https://www.cuh.nhs.uk/patient-information/dust-mites-in-your-home/ Bed bugs are not something you want runnng around in your mattress and you'd know about them if they were there ;D

Autumnwalks

« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2023, 07:49:54 AM »

Ha ha! Yes of course! ;D Or maybe my bed bugs have eaten all the dust mites! ;) ;D

CLKD

« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »

Months ago I stopped using 'conditioner' so my laundry is OK - hung on the line when the weather is fine enough, it dries quickly.  I've never had a tumble dryer.

Autumnwalks

« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2023, 09:41:06 AM »

I don't have any outside space. Mine hangs around on airers, no tumble dryer. My daughter doesn't even own a washing line, she tumble drys everything. Her children have never seen washing on a line outside.

CLKD

Soap residue
« Reply #190 on: March 29, 2024, 12:05:52 PM »

I had a large bath towel on the line since Monday so it's had a lot of heavy rain .  This morning I put it into the spin cycle and still soapy water was coming out  :o :o

It's sleeting now so no chance of hanging the next load out  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]