Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Soap residue (washing smells )  (Read 100403 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Soap residue (washing smells )
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

>:(  I've put towels through twice in 24 hours but they still smell ........... 'off'.  They are blowing on the line trying to get some fresh air into them  ::) .......... I put a hot wash on without clothing last week and have done laundry since, maybe vinegar on a hot wash ?

Suggestions on a post card please  ???
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 12:06:23 PM by CLKD »

Joyce

Re: washing smells
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

I could be wrong here, but I'm sure my daughter told me if you soak them in bicarb first, then wash, that's supposed to neutralise any odours.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »

Maybe run the machine empty on a bicarb wash then?

purplenanny

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »

Maybe run the machine empty on a bicarb wash then?

Yep, that works - I have done it in the past.

Purplenanny x x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »

You can also buy stuff to clear your washing machine pipes by Dr Beckman.  It works in much the same way as cleaning stuff for your dishwasher.  Think it's about £4 a pack.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »

Yes, you need to do a hot wash (no laundry in) about once a month - I'd use soda crystals actually.  They only cost about a quid a pkt in all supermarkets.

It might also help if you leave the door slightly ajar when you finish a wash and wipe inside the rubber door seal with a cloth or sponge.  Water usually gathers there and if you close the door straight away it gets a funny smell.

Heron

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

Would definitely agree, cubagirl. Dr. Beckham came to my rescue too. S. x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm having dreadful trouble with my almost new washing machine! I liked my old one which was a hot and cold fill but nowadays you can only get cold fill. If I do a 60 wash it takes 1hr 30mins but the glass doesn't get hot until a few minutes before the end of the washing time. This means the socks etc. are being washed in almost cold water and no matter what the eco warriors say it is not enough to get washing clean. I have been on a few websites about this and everywhere there are people moaning about their cold-fill not getting the whites clean. Many people are having to soak or scrub their clothes first - whats the point of that! Give me back my hot and cold fill machine!!

Taz x

san

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

I changed my fabric conditioner. Same brand, different fragrance. Then noticed a funny smell coming from the machine and clothes. Washed the machine with the Dr Beckham stuff, changed conditioner back and now all is well. I now clean the maching once every 3 months .. when I remember  ::). It's suppose to stop build up in the pipes and prolong the life of the machine.

Taz I don't like the fact it's only cold fill now. Just doesn't seem right. My whites are ok though. But I do add stain remover when they are very dirty.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »

I recently put a small amount of dish washer cleaner through on a very hot wash [90] with no laundry in the machine.  Three wash loads later and it's smelly.  It smells stale.  Like washing has been left damp on the floor  ::) ......... I've wiped out the machine regularly and always leave the door open.  Himself will check the filter tomorrow. 

I thought that the cold water heated up to the required temperature?  you shouldn't be able to feel the glass getting warm because it's a safety issue.  I did wonder early whether there's a mouse trapped in there  :o

CazzaT

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »

I'm a fan of soda crystals it seems to keep my machine smell free. I have never used spirit vinegar in my washer but I bet that is good at gettin rid of smells too, cos it works on spilt milk and  :sick02: smells (when the kids didn't quite reach the bathroom)  that would otherwise linger.

Cazza   xx

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »

The water used to heat up before the wash properly started in a hot and cold fill but now the wash starts anyway because the belief is that washing powders wash at a cold temperature. The glass has to get warm - you can't have hot water in a machine and not feel it through the glass but it doesn't get hot enough to burn anyone. My problem is that the machine washes for thirty minutes in "getting warmer" water which is not at 60 degrees and the last few minutes in hotter water. Sports socks, shirt collars etc. are not getting clean. I was surprised to find that this was a common problem but didn't realise how hard it was to get a hot and cold fill machine nowadays. I also think it is the small amount of water used - less than a washing up bowl to wash a full load.

Taz x  :(

purplenanny

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »

I never knew all that Taz, no wonder my 'whites' don't look clean!

Does anyone use vanish powder in their white wash?

Purplenanny x x

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »

I'm about to try Vanish in mine!

Even my son has asked why his washing doesn't smell clean anymore. After giving him the retort of "if you don't like it then try doing it yourself" I did agree that it just isn't getting clean. T-shirts stay underarm smelly and bedding - even on a really hot wash - still smell, well, beddy!

Do you put the water on the clothes then Janie?

Taz x

Robyn

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »

>:(  I've put towels through twice in 24 hours but they still smell ........... 'off'.  They are blowing on the line trying to get some fresh air into them  ::) .......... I put a hot wash on without clothing last week and have done laundry since, maybe vinegar on a hot wash ?

Suggestions on a post card please  ???

Yep that will be your best solution. I had this exact problem earlier this year when we had a prolonged period of wet weather here in Oz. Every time I would use a fresh towel there was something decidedly stinky about it.

So I did a google search and found the best remedy is vinegar. Put your washing machine empty through a full cycle with a couple of cups of white vinegar and hot water. Then to get rid of the sticky smell in your towels, put them through a cycle of vinegar and hot water. Worked a treat for me, and I haven't had the problem since.

I also always leave the lid of the washing machine open at least overnight until I'm certain the inside of the machine is totally dry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13