Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tinnitus hell seems it is incurable.  (Read 18540 times)

Sarai

Tinnitus hell seems it is incurable.
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »

I wrote on here recently about the return of my tinnitus. It is driving me crazy as half the time I cannot even watch TV as it goes up and up.
I joined the BTA it has a forum like this but unlike this it seems there is no hope. Every single thing I have read says the words, there is no cure. I am so despondant.
I thought it could be peri meno but they say hormones play no part. I also have a crazy jaw I thought maybe that but probably not they say. I am so miserable, they put men on the moon and won't fund research into tinnitus. There is a Harley Street clinic with a £6000 gadget on trial, but the NHS will not take part. So thats all but the rich rock stars who can't have that then.
Anybody on here found relief with anything?

silverlady

Re: Tinnitus hell seems it is incurable.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:59 AM »

Sarai i have it in my right ear with the pulsing sometimes, you are right it can drive you crazy, I have the sound machine, the pillow speakers and Tinnitus CD that does help. It does seem to come and go so I do have some respite now and then.

At the moment I have slightly blocked ear which also seems to come and go and it does seem to make the tinnitus worse.

I am so sorry I cannot suggest anything as I am looking for answers myself. I will have a good look around the BTA website, thanks for that.

Stress seems to make mine worse and I wonder about blood pressure but my doctor always seems to be satisfied with my reading.

silverlady x

Firewalker50

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »

Hi Sarai

I am fortunate not to suffer from that although I knew a few people who do and I know there are many ladies on here who suffer.

Reflexology and Hopi Ear Candles are treatments that have helped alleviate some of the symptoms for my family and friends.  I appreciate it will not suit everyone since it depends on the cause. 

Mrs. P is right, if your jaw/skeletal system is out, it may well be affecting the Tinnitus.

I hope you find some relief.

Fx

silverlady

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »

Thanks ladies. I feel I am drowning under a sea of posibilities.
It might be hormonal, or TMJ my jaw has to be clicked into place and on it's own is not a problem to me but I would not like to think it is causing the tinnitus. Is osteopathy available on the NHS?
Then I have recent neck problems from too much carrying of a grandchild and an awkward fall. And my latest crazy theory is have normal iron levels for the first time in years making my ear blood vessels sensitive.
A visit to the GP again is on the cards but I am not optimistic after all I have read.

Rosalie

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »

I have it in my left ear, it is always worse if I am stressed or have a headache, I believe there is a masking device but I am not sure what the success rate is.

Ziggy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »

There is a drug called Serc ( betahistine) which is prescribed for Meniere's Disease which causes tinnitus. It could be worth asking your GP if he thinks it is worth you trying it. He may say no if you don't have a diagnosis of Menieres but I used to promote this when I was a medical rep and I know a lot of doctors tried it for patients with tinnitus.

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »

Been back to GP today and got more antibiotics. Not sure if it's the answer but she says my eardrum is dull so may have fluid behind causing the little bones difficulty moving. Told me to chew gum, yawn a lot and pop my ears. I have asked for referral to ENT and just hope I don't need it. She says I should be optimistic it will go as it has gone before.

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

I just been re reading my posts of last year on tinnitus.
Sadly I don't have much good news. 18 months on tinnitus is still there, albeit quieter.
I guess I am 'used to it' now but I have debates with myself everyday regarding it, is it a little quieter, how long since I heard it. It has dominated my life as it s so intrusive.
I definitely feel there is a hormone involvement, as at period time it goes up a gear and after it goes down a gear. So maybe there s still a little hope for after menopause.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »

Do you still have jaw problems? Do you mean a clicky jaw? If so have a chat with your dentist. He can make a mouth/teeth guard to wear at night. I had the same problem. The mouth guard is not very glamorous and I hated wearing it at first, but it has made a huge difference. Cost£40.

Sarai

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

Ju Ju my dentist gave me thorough exam and is sure I don't have TMJ.
Because I gave APS my consultant thinks it was a small clot in a tiny vessel in the ear,especially as it is just one side.
I am hoping to get a hearing test again soon to see if my hearing loss has got worse as I have been told a hearing can help with Tinnitus as it stops the ear working so hard.
Here's hoping

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »

It is a nuisance that can take over our thoughts  ::)

Sometimes my ear pulses from deep within
There is often deep itching
A high pitched buzzing - which makes me wonder how long was it there before I noticed  ::)

Pauline

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »

Just a thought. I had really persistent tinnitus both ringing and pulsating some time back. After I had managed to persuade my GP that this was severely impacting on my life  I was referred for ear microsuction. The amount of gunk that came out with the tiny hoover was both disgusting and incredible. Might be worth suggesting to your GP. It is a painless procedure and very effective, much more so than conventional syringing, at clearing the ear of debris that could be contributing to your difficulties.
Good luck.

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »

I suffer from T too...I also have a problem with my inner ear chamber as it has a membrane closed over it, which means that all the debris that would normally come out through the eustatian tube stays where it is, locked behind the membrane. I am having a grommet fitted soon which may help the pressure build up in the inner chamber, but alas it is very unlikely to help the T.

I went to see a hearing therapist last week which was quite interesting. She took me back to talking about when the T started. What was going on in my life etc. I had been through a lot of problems at the time (BB throat cancer/ I was made redundant/meno probs & so on). She said that I was focussing so much on these problems that once they were sorted & the panics over, I started looking for something else to think about & there it was - the buzzing, droning noise. What was going on in my head. It made sense to me. I am a born worrier. If I'm not worrying about other peoples problems, then I focus on my own (just like my Mum did).

I have this week purchased a Therapy Hearing Ball which plays "calming" music. Up till now I have had a small electric fan on at night to help lessen the buzzing/droning, which is all well & good in the summer but useless on a cold winters night.

I have regular hearing tests & my hearing has got a little worse but that could have happened anyway with age. :-\
I had the microsuction procedure done as well Pauline, they are good & a lot better then syringing.

Good Luck Sarai.

Suzi Q

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:13 AM »

I wrote on here recently about the return of my tinnitus. It is driving me crazy as half the time I cannot even watch TV as it goes up and up.
I joined the BTA it has a forum like this but unlike this it seems there is no hope. Every single thing I have read says the words, there is no cure. I am so despondant.
I thought it could be peri meno but they say hormones play no part. I also have a crazy jaw I thought maybe that but probably not they say. I am so miserable, they put men on the moon and won't fund research into tinnitus. There is a Harley Street clinic with a £6000 gadget on trial, but the NHS will not take part. So thats all but the rich rock stars who can't have that then.
Anybody on here found relief with anything?

I had dreeadful tinitus for 6 year premeno and men then it just WENT can get it nw and again for ahour or so
Pages: [1] 2