Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OESTROGEL - is there a shortage?  (Read 5053 times)

Melbury

OESTROGEL - is there a shortage?
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »

I went to collect my prescription for Oestrogel and when I got home and opened the bag have been given something called Oestrodose instead ???  It seems to be manufactured by the same company - i.e. Besins - so hopefully it will be as good. 

Same thing has happened with my thyroxine, can't get Eltroxin at the moment >:(

Just wondered if anyone has heard anything...

Joyce

Re: OESTROGEL - is there a shortage?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

Not heard but I have been given this one in past too.  It's just the same.

Rivadan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »

Don't you just get whatever the pharmacy can buy the cheapest at the time? We do in my neck of the woods. I never get Eltroxin!

Rivadan

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

That's it - they dish out the cheap generics to us all the time - some are fine but some are lousy. I had one particular generic of an antihistamine I take regularly which gave me dreadful side effects. The only way you can find out is by using it unfortunately.

Rivadan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »

OK, so the antihistamine I prefer (and now demand) is Zirtek - active ingredient Cetirizine.

If the GP prescribes Zirtek, the pharmacist has to give that to me.

However if he prescribes Cetirizine, they can give me whatever brand of cetirizine they happen to have bought in for the cheapest price that week. So you could end up with Joe Bloggs Cetirizine instead of Zirtek.

My GP never prescribes a branded thyroxine for underactive thyroid and I must have used dozens of different brands over the years.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »

One of the big manufacturers has been taken over so they are having to check all the Licences are up to date before releasing products into the surgeries.

Melbury

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »

I always like to get Eltroxin if I can, just feel better on it - some people say it is the other things that are added that differ between brands.  The pharmacist always gets on her high horse and says it is exactly the same and I say no it isn't!!!!  They just try to get away with giving the cheaper version I am sure, but apparently there has been a problem with the supply of Eltroxin, so won't hassle them for a while yet.

Hopefully the Oestrodose will be OK!

Rivadan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »

They always say "its exactly the same" but I can say for certain the different fillers, coatings, whatever, can make a huge difference, especially when its a tablet you have to take on a regular basis.

Peony

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »

My pharmacist told me on Saturday 19 May 2018 that she can't get oestrogel/oestrodose anywhere all the wholesalers are out. Searched and this old thread popped up so at least it was resolved last time. Is this the same all over the UK and does anyone know what is going on and when it is likely to resolve ?

Daisydot

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »

No peony my pharmacist in bucks orders in oestrogel for me and I've not had any problems this last few months,they'll only give me one can at a time which is ridiculous.you could try another chemist I know they do vary with what they can source,I don't know why that is.good luck x

Maryjane

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 05:54:01 AM »

Put my order in yesterday for 3 tubes of estrogel , got two immediately and the other will be today after 11.00am.

Also 3 months of vagifem with no issues straight away.

Stephjkm

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »

Yet again......none in stock and none at wholesaler......

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »

My epipens have been out of stock since March !

It's all getting ridiculous x

Daisydot

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 07:35:21 AM »

Can you not maybe try ringing your hospital pharmacy Annie,they may have some, then ask gp for a new script if necessary.x

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 02:38:48 PM »

Luckily I still have 2 in date but this new pharmacy that I've moved near are useless so I've assigned my scripts to my old pharmacy 11 miles away.  They confirmed that there's a shortage of epipens but said they tell their customers to get gp to prescribe a generic one x
Pages: [1] 2