Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46

Author Topic: Pets Corner  (Read 142602 times)

larkrise

Pets Corner
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

Those of you who enjoy pets can share your tales and anecdotes about your furbabies here.

Ask for advice from other pet owners.

Non pet owners are free to avoid the pets corner if they wish

Anne

Re: Pets Corner
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »

He sounds lovely Mrs P. I think pets are great company (much less hard work that humans!)

I have two cats: the little one is a mummy's boy and the other goes to anybody! I also have a horse although she lives on a yard, but spending time with her is so relaxing - she's an angel.

Both my boys have unfortunately had medical problems and one was just recently diagnosed with a serious heart condition, although you wouldn't know it. But he's on meds now and we'll just make sure he has a lovely life, however long it lasts!

Robyn

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

I love animals.  I would much rather have the company of animals than people. I've had a long line of cats in my life, but currently I have two - a brother and sister (Oscar and Sophie). They're about 4 1/2 years old.

Before I got these cats I decided I wasn't going to let them be free-range, as all my previous cats had been. So I had an enclosure built for them that's in the side yard and is attached to the house. So they have free access to the house, a covered patio area and a fairly large outside garden area.

I'm so glad I had it built because they get the best of both worlds and I don't have to worry about them getting into trouble with other cats or cars.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:09:25 PM by Robyn »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

Two of our cats were run over 9 days apart  :'( and I swore that I would never have another pet  ::) hey ho! ended up with 3 cats and a dog  :-*

Christine662

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

I am the same with Little Jack Mrs P.

He has been a life saver for me.

Stumpy xx

Anne

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

My boys are 4 years old Mrs P, and they are house cats although they come for walks in the garden when the weather's nice!

pamela jess

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

I have two cats, got them from the same litter, as kittens, from an animal refuge, they had been left in a brown bag in the back of a deserted car at a scrap yard..I thought two would be company for each other but although they loved each other as kittens, they just "put up with" each other now! They are 12 this July!!

viv

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »

I have always had dogs in my life. The first one I remember was when I was three and there has been a long list since.

Since I married I have had three. An Irish Setter who was as mad as a march hare. She was not terribly trustworthy around children and I never left her alone with my son.

A Golden Retriever who was an absolute dream of a dog and my very best friend.

Now I have a Bichon who is such a character. They are high maintenance little dogs but well worth it as she gives so much in return. She has made me laugh every single day since I have had her. She is ten this year but still acts like a puppy.

I cant imagine a home without a dog....its too empty. Yes they are tying but as long as I am fit and able (and perhaps when I am not) I will always have a dog.

We have also had rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and  goldfish. They were all bought for the children but I always ended up looking after them  ::)

Honeyb
x

viv

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »

They could be cyber pals then.

:scottie: :scottie:

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »

My Siam-type cat used to lift my eyelid with his lips if he wanted feeding in the early hours  ;D of course I would giggle and he knew that I wasn't asleep  ;)

Anne

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

That's too cute CLKD!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 05:31:24 PM »

He would purr gently at first and I would try to stay asleep  ;D - then he would pad onto my chest and I knew that the lips would find my eyelids sooner or later ......... *never* my husband's though  ::)

one year in

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »

That is so funny CLKD!  We've just adoped a blind cat and she does something similar in the early hours but she always goes to OH at 5 am because she knows that I won't get up!  I'm not the most patient person when I get woken up in the middle of the night but the deep purr and the soft paw 'nudge' could melt the heart of the grumpiest non-early-morning person!

My biggest problem at the moment is that she is bringing in ticks on her fur.  She has two spot-treatment parasite lotions applied a month so I haven't found any stuck to her skin yet, but she shakes them off all over the place!  They seem to get into the fur around her ears and eyes mostly.  When I took my t-shirt off earlier I found one crawling across my chest - yuk!  And she hates being combed or over-petted so it's really difficult to get them off her before she comes inside.

san

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

I love my dog to bits. He's 4 and so different from our last dog. He was a rough coat Jack and a good house guard. We had him for 14yrs. Had a gap of 6yrs and then got this one. He's been with us since he was 10wks old. He's a cross between a westie and lakeland terrier.
He soppy, loves everyone and his favourite thing to play with is a balloon  ::)

In 4yrs he has never barked at another dog. He has no understanding of anger and looks most surprised when he see other dogs barking at each other. Play ball is his only focus when we're out.

Not sure if we will get another when he goes as we will be older ourselves. :(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:37:47 PM by san »

Robyn

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »

It's awful when you have to experience a pet being hit by a car. It happened to one of my cats about 15 years ago. I came home from a walk one morning to find him dead on the side of the road. There wasn't a mark on him except for a little bit of blood coming out of his nose, so the vet said it probably happened instantly. He also wasn't laying there for very long because I had only left him about 30 minutes earlier. I was devasted because he was just the most cuddly adorable cats I have ever had.

In a way I'm glad it happened right outside my house because if it had happened anywhere else I probably wouldn't have known what had happened to him. It was also a blessing in disguise because we had only just found out that he had leukemia. It was such a shame because he wasn't even 3 years old.  His sister though lived on to the ripe old age of 19 and she outlived 3 cats in total...lol...

My current cats a still quite young, but assuming they live for another 10-15 years I'm going to be around mid to late 60s and I'm not sure whether I will want any more pets at that stage because I've always had a bit of a fear of what would happen to my cats if I die before them. I would hate to think of them fretting, or worse me dying in my house and no one knowing about it, and my cats starving.  That's probably an irrational fear, but I think about it nevertheless.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:21:33 PM by Robyn »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46