Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Charity Projects  (Read 22158 times)

katsclaws

Charity Projects
« on: March 06, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 11:24:52 AM by katsclaws »

Hurdity

Re: Charity Projects
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

Hi there
All very commendable but what they are asking you to do is subsidise them on a paid holiday, albeit a working one!
Lots of charities do this sort of thing - ask for members to sign up for treks or projects costing the earth and asking them to get sponsorship.
Sometimes the sponsorship they ask people to raise goes towards the work of the charity - but still - I would say this is definitely not the best use of the money!!
Of course as it's a close relative you want to help pay for their wonderful experience - then great - but just for 2 weeks? - this is almost certainly a holiday mainly for the benefit of the participant rather than the recipients.
Just my opinion - since you asked!
Hurdity x

Bette

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »

We have also had weekly reminders by either text, email or letter saying that we haven't yet donated. I'm afraid that would bring out my stubborn streak and put me off completely.  >:(
I had a similar thing when a friend asked me to go online to sign up to sponsor her for a run. All the names and amounts were there for all to see and you could add little comments. I thought that it was horrible; I like to keep things like that private.  :-\
 Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »

In defence of this type of charity work I would like to say that the "project" work is the part which is very helpful here. As in all things you have to pick and choose the charity. My friend was involved with one where the project was to build walls around wells in remote villages in Africa. This may not sound very worthwhile or necessary but has saved the lives of over fifteen young children a year who would topple into the wells when trying to lift the bucket up. It was a simple thing but man/woman power was in short supply when every waking hour is spent gathering food and water and then cooking it etc. The volunteers live with the families while they are undertaking the work - strong friendships have been forged too. However it is not a holiday as such. You are met at the airport by a landrover or beaten up bus and carried for many miles along mud roads before being deposited in a village with no electric or medical facilities close at hand. It is not for the faint-hearted. I have had a friend who walked some of the Great Wall of China and this was sponsored but I can't remember which charity it was. This did not seem a worthwhile way to raise money in my opinion.

I think you are talking about "just giving" Bette. There is a facility where you can keep the amount of your donation private. http://www.justgiving.com/info/privacy

My son sponsored a grandparent in India via Help the Aged (as it was then). The guy he got was 52 and out of work but liked to spend his time in the local cafe and bar. His children no longer spoke to him and he had nobody that was interested in him. This was not quite the type of "grandparent" my son had in mind!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »

Charity begins at home  ::) but have a look-see at the Company records for most and you will see how much they have in property etc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:01:08 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:03 PM »

That is true katsclaws but you have to look at what the RSPB is for and where their land is - without owning land then our wild birds wouldn't have the reserves to live in. http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/?gclid=CLfg3I6L064CFU8MfAodVR87_g

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:41:38 PM »

Yes I agree. I just meant that it would be difficult for the RSPB  not to be a large landowner. It is always worth checking out where our money goes. I particularly don't like the street corner type of collections for various charities where you buy a £1 pin badge for instance. Not everyone realises that these collectors get paid and are not volunteers and that only a teeny amount of the £1 - often only a few pence - goes to the charity.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 09:09:03 PM »

National Trust also owns huge tracts of land as well as properties  ::).  When I volunteered 4 CatsProtection 10 years ago it broke my heart  :'(.  Now I tend to buy in Charity shops.  Guide Dogs has enough money to train many more dogs than they do each year  >:( and what happens to the pups that they breed which don't make the grade  :-\ .........

In this area a group of wealthy like-minded people have gone to Africa and built and still support a school in a particular village.  Interestingly to me, they have never asked me for a donation  ??? but tend to  have evenings where like-moneyed people get together to raise funds.  At least they go out, keep an eye on how the projects are managed by the local populace and make sure that it is going to Plan.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.  I tend to keep my money local although our local hospice charity shops are now buying in rather than putting donations onto the shop floor  :cuss: for example, more money can be made by bulk selling of books and clothing than can be got from selling in the shops.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:01:45 PM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

As my most favourite place is the North Devon Coast I am rather glad that the National Trust own some land as at least it is unchanged and managed properly.

There are just so many charities nowadays that as you say, CLKD, you have to make your own choices and stick to them.

Taz x

viv

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »

My cousins daughter went to India for a year with Project Trust. She had to raise £4000 and she did this in so many different ways. She lived with a teacher and taught numerous children when she was there. She has 4 weeks holiday in the year so it was no long holiday.

There are four girls in my daughters year at school doing this. They have been organising walks and bag packing, a country dance,sponsored swims and walks. They now have to raise £5000.

They go all over the world to volunteer.

Not all of these things are just a free holiday. These kids have to really want to do this and work hard to get there.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »

My daughter at the age of 17/18 went with 5 others to Zimbabwe to work with different projects.  We didn't have to raise sponsorship as that had be done by our local authority.  It was no holiday!

One of the girls was put in a township.  My daughter was put with another girl in a lovely home. But that was only after complaining about the house they had been put in.  Very dodgy folk.   Boys were placed in various places  which were less than salubrious.   We had to phone a local contact here to sort out several problems.  It certainly opened their eyes.

Whilst there they had to paint an old folks home and work with deprived youngsters.  Once she got home our daughter got begging letters for ages.  She kept in touch with the old lady she had lived with for a couple of years, but then the lady couldn't afford the cost of stamps as the cost of living was so high.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

It is important not to become a drain on the local economy in far-flung places so raising funding helps to get people there with skills which can be taught to locals.  It probably covers Emergency Insurance etc. too.

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »

I think those who go on these projects find that it is worthwhile and gives them a taste of different lifestyles & cultures. 
One of guys my daughter went to Zimbabwe with, then went on and did a project in Cuba for 3 months.  Lived with locals, travelled on the cuban camel buses.  Believe me, that must have been a feat in itself.  Over 200 people crammed in, no air con.
This video will give you some idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPNXmwRYTA

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

I agree that some of these projects can be very worthwhile indeed - and I think 3 months  is probably a really good minimum time to be involved. Yes to experience diff lifestyles, cultures and volunteer on a local project
it was just the original post as katsclaws said, referred to £2000 for two weeks work - and I was questioning the value of that, which is in effect a working holiday - even if the work itself contributes something - and therefore not something I would want to support (unless maybe a v close relative) if I could choose where to give a charitable donation!
I think you seem to agree too kc?
I would encourage any young person to try to experience and work on a longer project of this nature - none of mine have shown any inclination.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »

What does the £2,000 cover?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6