Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: So scared Op on Tuesday  (Read 20770 times)

ellie

So scared Op on Tuesday
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

I am going in hospital on Monday to have Op on Tuesday. I am not usually a wimp, I have had Ops before, one on spine last August, also knee replacment a couple of years ago. Both these Ops were in unsuccessful.
   This one is because I have a twisted stomach, spent nearly all last year being sick, and feeling flu like. I have since found out that I also have Fibromyilgia and that explains why I keep feeling so very tired.
 He is also repairing my hiatus hernia.
           I am getting so nervous it's silly I know I will be Ok. Just be glad when it's this time next week.
   Sorry for moaning .

Bette

Re: So scared Op on Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

Don't apologise, it's natural to be concerned.  :foryou:
Maybe try some of the hints collected on here to help deal with the anxiety. Have you tried the 321 exercise?
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8454.0.html
Hopefully you'll feel much better after your op; it's horrible being sick all the time.  :(
Lots of ladies on here have Fibro, so hopefully they'll be able to advise you on that.
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

Jillymoo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

You're not being silly Ellie,it's totally normal to feel that way.......I should think everyone has at least some degree of anxiety before having an operation and stay in hospital.

Easy for me to say,but try and focus on how much better you're tum will be when it's done.I know you'll still have the Fibro,which is rotton,but at least the horrible sickness will end.

Like Bette has said,there are lots of lovely ladies on here who suffer with Fibro too,so keep posting and let us know how you're coping.

This time next week,it will be done,and hopefully you'll be home being pampered.Have they said how long you will be in?

Sending you a big hug hun  :hug:

Be brave  :valkyrie: . . . . you'll be fine,I'm sure.

Love,Jilly xx

I Don't Expect George Clooney.....But I Don't Want The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Either

ellie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »

I could be home a couple of days after op, depends if he can do it key hole or not. I worry because he has warned me it might not work. Wish he hadn't told me that.  I suppose because I have nerve damage after my knee replacment, and the Op on my back has made it worse ( now on morphine patches), now I have it in my head this Op will go wrong. What on earth is the matter with me.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

It's the way Consultants pass on their knowledge that is often lacking  >:( however, they do need to warn patients that there may be hazards and that once 'in' he may have to alter his plans ......... 'not working' is a negative way of telling patients that occasionally ops do go wrong.

Take a list of your worries in and make sure that you speak with the Surgeon or Anaesthetist before you sign the Consent Form.  This is *your* choice and you need to be psychologically relaxed so that your recovery is straight forwards.  Or you could this week ring the Consultant's Secretary with your worries, maybe the Surgeon will be able to 'phone back to put your mind at rest.
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »

It is normal to be apprehensive Ellie but just think of how much better you will feel once it is done and you are back home. I know this is rich coming from me who delayed booking a hysterectomy yesterday but my symptoms are not so bad as to make me feel really horrible.

You have to be told that it might not work as, due to our compensation culture nowadays, each health authority has to cover themselves.

This time next week it will all be done and you will be on the road to feeling so much better I am sure.

Taz x

LilFeather

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »

Ellie - just wanted to jump in and let you know I'm joining with the cheering squad in seeing you through this!

Is this some kind of a joke?

Trey

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »

One of the ways I got through ops was to focus on what I'd be doing three weeks after the op.  I would kind of hypnotize myself into going to that future place and feeling better.  I just sort of went on remote control and didn't deal with current reality much.  Think ahead to a good outcome.  In your case, op wise, the third time is due to be the proverbial charm.

Good luck.

But do express your fears now to the office as that might help dilute them some.

debcoral

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »

Sending you good wishes for your op.
I do believe they HAVE to tell you it may not work - alongside all the great long list of all the other things that could go wrong - they did that for my hysteroscopy which is minor but I was told about perforated all sorts !!!
Go with it and try and focus on the fact that its one more thing ticked off and done.
Sending you a hug- it's only natural to feel worried- I know I did xx

jgr

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

Hi ellie, you will be fine and and next week you will be wondering why you were worried at all.
Taz is right about Dr's having to tell you any negatives, unfortunatly the society we live in with the risk of compensation means they have to cover their backs. You should ask him if he could tell you the success rate and i bet it is high.
I think being menopausal makes us worry more than we would normally. :foryou:

susie56

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

Good luck with the op Ellie.  I hope you will feel much better when it's done.  Take care to rest after so you can recover properly. 
 :hug:

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »

One of the ways I got through ops was to focus on what I'd be doing three weeks after the op. 

Good advice from Trey.  Try and look past the operation, it will give you something to aim for.

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »

Only just saw this thread sorry
Well it will be all over and done with now its Thursday 3.15pm here in Ozz 5.15am Thursday morning your time
They soon will be waking you up for breakfast
Hope your feeling ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its all over now big hugs
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

jgr

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 06:32:48 AM »

Glad it went well:bighug:

ellie

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »

Op not till nextvTuesday Susi and jgr.Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, all are taken on board. I do have somthing to look forward too after the Op, we have just exchanged our caravan for a newer one. We only went 3 times last year because I felt so sick. So I am hoping this year we will spend many weeks away.
       I know somone who had a hiatus repair, but not the stomach untwist likeI am  having as well, and she was telling me just how painful it was afterwards. Until then I tried not to think about it too much. What with the cronic back pain and FIbro I am worried.
      The surgeon is not easy to talk to, unlike my back surgeon who was wonderful, he put me and ease all the way.
Just sharing my thoughts with you on here helps...So a big thank you. Pity I can't take my IPad into hospital..........
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6