Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Anxious tummy, anxious swallowing, anxious about being anxious!  (Read 5470 times)

Rebelyell

I seem to be swallowing enormous amounts of air now, this is making my already gurgling, churned up,burning digestive system far worse.  Have tried taking wind tablets but they don't seem to help.

I know I need to stop focussing on swallowing, but how the hell do you do that???

Am exhausted from two days of panic attacks, trying to stay positive but feel an absolute wreck.   Am I having some kind of breakdown??   I have been mega busy for months and had three course of ABs this year but even when I stop obsessing about my health I still feel like s***.

Any advice??  Am I still in the meno tunnel or getting near the opening??  Will life still be open when I finally get there??

honeybun

Re: Anxious tummy, anxious swallowing, anxious about being anxious!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:29 PM »

Have you spoken to your GP about a beta blocker or another emergency med just to try and break the cycle that you are in.

How about yoga or meditation, just something to stop your mind racing. Do you have a hobby that absorbs you.

Life will get better.....really it will but you might need a little help. I'm not sure if you are on HRT but if not then you could try St Johns Wort for your anxiety. Check it's appropriate with any other meds though.
How about B vitamins.

There is a good website called No More Panic and another called Glasgow Steps.

Just trying to think of anything that might help you cope.

:hug:

Honeyb
X

Rebelyell

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

I am already on oestrogen only HRT [hysterectomy years ago but still have ovaries].  I took ADs [citalopram] for four months earlier in the year but hated the effects of tiredness and flat mood.

I really feel that if I could get physically well, then the mental aspect would follow.  But it's so chicken and egg, what came first, the anxiety or the physical problem??

I do yoga twice a week - love it and never miss it - it helps but I get anxious the minute I wake.  Will ask doctor for suggestions.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:24:33 PM »

I take a beta blocker which takes the edge off and I have a few Diazapam for emergencies.

Good idea to speak to your doctor because you can't go on like this.

Sorry I can't help anymore but I'm sure you will get some other ideas soon.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »

My GP gave me a betablocka to take in the evening to stop any anxiety surges in the early morning.  Works mainly.  I also have an emergency pill to swallow when the panic attacks overwhelm me.

I swallow a lot because I have allergic rhinitis ……. it can give me background heart burn or worse so I have 'rennies' to hand  ;)

Greenfields

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »

I am already on oestrogen only HRT [hysterectomy years ago but still have ovaries].  I took ADs [citalopram] for four months earlier in the year but hated the effects of tiredness and flat mood.

I really feel that if I could get physically well, then the mental aspect would follow.  But it's so chicken and egg, what came first, the anxiety or the physical problem??

I do yoga twice a week - love it and never miss it - it helps but I get anxious the minute I wake.  Will ask doctor for suggestions.

I was experiencing that off and on recently because of all the stress I'm under.

The Dr suggested that I take a beta blocker (40mg) on waking.  I've done that for the last 2 days. I think it's helping but I've been very tired today and one of the side effects is tiredness - altho' it says on the leaflet that this does go away.

I would go and see your Dr and see whether this is an option for you.  My Dr told me that citalopram does work for anxiety but it takes 3 months to kick in for that - and so it's not appropriate for me at the moment.
Waking up with anxiety is horrid and it's hard to get on with the day when you experience that (least that's what I found).

I had a meno related breakdown in March - what I found was that my nervous system got more and more out of whack and I had constant anxiety before I crashed (having made a decision not to return to Canada as a result of a panic attack - a decision which I would never have made if I had been well).  I then experienced a breakdown - depersonalisation, numbness and extreme fatigue and lost 13lb in a week (had trouble eating).  I wouldn't wish that on anyone - I'm still recovering and it's now mid-July.  Am better than I was but no where near where I used to be yet.

So, I would encourage you to seek medical help sooner rather than later.  As well, if you have any relaxation CD's (I found Jon Kabat-Zinn's body scan meditation very helpful) - try doing it on a daily basis. It's very restorative.

And, like you, I've found yoga very helpful too.

Hugs xxxx

dazned

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

Deep breathing technique might help,also beta blockers are very good if you decide on these ask for a slow release one to take at night that should stop the early morning cortisol surges which cause the anxiety also it gives a steady dose throughout the day.

Rebelyell

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »

Thanks. Think will ask about beta blockers.   Will also see if things get better when I can relax a bit next work. 

I think the mind can only take so much stress and I as I have always been good at coping I didn't realise things were getting on top of me.  Then add in hormones and boom!

Thanks.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »

Hello Rebelyell.

I wanted to add my support as I know how exhausting this meno anxiety can be. I am also considering adding Beta Blockers to see if they help. I know what you mean about the chicken and egg dilemma and for me the anxiety seems to come first, I then panic because I wonder how I'd cope with XYZ situation while feeling so awful which of course feeds the worry about being able to cope.

Let us know how you get on at the doctors and if you find the Beta Blockers helpful.

Take care.

K.

Rebelyell

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »

Thanks.

Quick question.  Having never suffered before, is it usual to start getting trapped wind at this stage of life?  My tummy gurgles and gurgles all evening now!

Greenfields

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »

I don't know.  But things that will help to calm your system down:

1. Exercise - vigorous - to get rid of the adrenalin around your system (I find aquafit helpful and also exercise classes)
2. Relaxation done regularly
3. Consciously eat more slowly (I've been doing this recently as I've noticed I have a tendency when anxious to gulp more).
4. Cut out any things that overstimulate your nervous system - for eg, I stopped drinking regular tea (I never drank coffee) - I only drink herbal tea now.  I also completely cut out sugar.
5. Try drinking herbal drinks that are good for digestion or calming the nervous system - eg fennel tea, camomile tea, peppermint tea, ginger tea.
6. Yoga movements that compress the abdomen are good for releasing wind and tension - supine twists, also bringing knees in over belly on an exhale (apanasana).
7. If all else fails, try distraction - do an activity and reshift your mind's focus to that activity whenever it shifts to anxiety about your tummy.  I find house cleaning and house hold tasks helpful for this.
8. If you can afford and find a good therapist, talking over things can also help share the stress.
9. I meditate and find that when I'm windy, it often releases during my meditation practice.

Hugs xxx

PS I don't take the slow release beta blockers so have no experience of those but I have found taking a beta blocker first thing in the morning does help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:10:59 PM »

DH slices ginger and garlic in most of our meals - aids digestion  ;)