Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Blocked feeling in ears  (Read 44605 times)

jgr

Blocked feeling in ears
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:26 PM »

Hi ladies, has anyone ever experienced a feeling like your ears are blocked and your hearing being a little effected (like when you are flying).
I woke up this morning with it and even blowing my nose doesn't clear it.
Is this yet another trip to the Dr's or is it another meno pest.

Joyce

Re: Blocked feeling in ears
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »

Have you had a cold or something similar.  Unless it's causing pain, I'm sure it will pass.  I presume when you say blowing your nose doesn't clear it, that you've held your nostrils really tightly and tried blowing hard to see if that clears any blockage.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

Yep!  All the while.  Plus the whistling, buzzing ...........  ::) if I put my little finger into the affected ear and wriggle it helps to 'un-block' it!

KatieLiz

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »

I've had this on and off for a few years now.  A couple of visits to my GP have suggested I take antihistamine tablets (I don't suffer from hayfever).  I have tried this for a while and then forget to take them. 

I also suffer with my sinuses (no cold with it though).  I do wonder if it is all meno related.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »

I believe that the Eustacian [sp] tube narrows as we age, Himself has problems too  ::) as does a friend locally who has had her ears synringed and 'sucked' out on a regular basis for a couple of years to ease the bunged up feelings.  When I notice the buzzing I've no idea how long it's been happening  ::)

jgr

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »

Thanks for your replies.
I have not had a recent cold cubagirl and have held my nostrils tightly whilst blowing, all to no avail. There is no pain so hopefully will pass.

CLKD, tried the little finger in ear as you suggested, still there.

KatieLiz, my sinuses do bother me from time to time and i take a beconase nasel inhaler on a morning to keep on top of it. I do however suffer with a runny nose especially in winter.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

"CLKD, tried the little finger in ear as you suggested, still there.  ... "

is it the finger still in the ear then     ..............  ;)  ::)

Then there's the itching deep down that I can't get to ...........  >:(

jgr

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »

Haha CLKD, that's what i get for not reading it back before posting, i meant that the blocked feeling was still there. ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »

My husband gets one ear blocked with very reduced hearing due to "gunk" as he has trouble with his sinuses all the time and the Dr gave him a steroid nasal spray and he uses it for a month and it always clears the tube. He gets this about twice a year but the spray works every time.

Suzi Q

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 03:25:09 AM »

Get your ears checked
Dont hold and blow again it can damage your sinus can
I had something sim I had my ears shrynged afetr that fabo
XXXXXXXXXXXX

san

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »

Then there's the itching deep down that I can't get to ...........  >:(
I've had that in my right ear for a few weeks but on and off. No wax has come out when I've cleaned it. Wondered if it's where I dive with the window down a bit sometimes. Maybe caused a cold in the ear  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »

I think the ears are pretty much protected from the cold, if it was *that* cold you would wind up the window when you d[r]ive  ;) - my ears aren't too bad today but were really itchy last night  >:(

warwick01

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »

I get this all the time. The feeling is the same as when your flying.

Some times my balance is also affected. I was told years ago it would go away on it's own........ several years later still av the problem.

W

silverlady

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

Suffering with this at the moment in my right ear, its driving me potty >:( done all the things suggested here and last night I woke up and felt it pop and my hearing was clear as a bell. I went back to sleep feeling very happy only to wake up again this morning with it back!

I have been putting drops in to try to soften any wax just in case when I do manage to get an appointment with Doc, they say it needs to be syringed, but it seems to make it worse and I have more muffled hearing and it makes me more anxious that I am going deaf ::)

I have been told I have very narrow Eustachian tubes so it could be this that is causing the problem, I also seem to have postnasal drip down the back of my throat so wonder if this is contributing to it.

I have had this before but it always seemed to resolve itself in a few days, this time its been over a week and am wondering if its something to do with weather (very humid here) and the start of the allergy season with tree pollen. Just clutching at straws really, but blocked ears are very disconcerting and I hate the feeling :(

silverlady x

Forgot to add this  http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Eustachian-Tube-Dysfunction.htm  think this is my problem.

silverlady

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Mrs P I used Sodium Bicarbonate Drops.

At the moment it has eased a little, I washed my hair and used  softwax ear plugs to keep the water out of my ears and while I was doing it I felt the pop again, and it felt much better though not completely gone as I can  still feel pressure.

I am making an appointment tomorrow.

This might interest you that I came across this afternoon   http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-11646.html

I also read that blocked ears was the most common thing that patients see their doctors about.

silverlady x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4