Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)  (Read 85976 times)

changesbabe

Re: Nearly 50 and have taken up jogging :)
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »

Just want to share one other thing Minuette. On Fri evening hubby and i decided to go for a run - there is a walk along the river which is 1.5 miles each way making it three in total.  I only had three VERY short stops to bring my breathing back down again but basically ran most of the way.  Hubby reckons we ran at least 2 to 2.5 miles.  He was pecking but did not want to stop as he did not want me to be better than him! He was extremely impressed with how much I have come on in the last few weeks. Lets see if i can replicate it with my trainer on wed tho! Thanks for your support and encouragement - always helps! xxx

minuette

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »

Did you manage to do it again hot&spicy?? I'm sure you did, what sort of things do you do with your trainer?

Sandy1201

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »

Hi all,

I have started to ride a bike against after **** years - well it seems that way.  I am loving it.  Also have started to go to a personal trainer, she nearly kills me but again I am loving it.  I also walk quite a bit and have, last night joined a slimming club. I want to lose about three stone so let's hope, by Christmas, I am well on the way.  I am very determined to do this.  Age, me, 56 so here goes.....

xx

Taz2

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »

Well done Sandy - keep us updated on your progress.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Bunnieface

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »

Hi Everyone
I'm also approaching 50 and at the beginning of June I also started jogging.  I'm following a 5K Training Plan, it was hard going at first - walk a minute jog a minute etc, but its amazing how quickly you build us some staminer.  I think it will be a while before I can do 5K but at the moment I am just so pleased to be undertaking some exercise!

Should add - I go out at 6.30am before the neighbours get up, and hubbie follows on at a slower place with the dogs, I figure at least he'll find me if I flake out on the way round!

Congratulations to all those other ladies who have commenced an exercise xx

Nan44

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »

Hello everyone
well quite  a few people take up jogging/running later in life and do ok but i guess you have to know yourself and what you can manage. Also nearly 50 (a young one ;)) and took up running about 4 years ago, i keep thinking i wont last as sometimes my knees twinge but I am now up to a comfortable 10 k run.  I feel i have to keep on keeping fit.  I enjoy going out running by myself as well as with others when they want to join me. So keep going all those who are trying for the first time in later years. :)

purplenanny

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »

Hello everyone

I have only just found this post, well done everyone with all you are doing!

Cycling is my favourite, although I don't go far I do go out regularly. I would love to swim but feel embarrassed in my costume. I am overweight - have lost 2.5 stone since Jan but still a size 16/18

Managed a big achievement yesterday, actually did some jogging - only very very short, 3 bits in between walking, but I was so chuffed!! Hope to build on it, but have to be careful with knees. Interested in the training plan Bunnieface, where did you get the info? if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck Sandy - you can do it and you will feel great!

Purplenanny x x

changesbabe

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »

Hi purplenanny well done for managing your little jog - its great isn't it when you see you can do it and that you quite like it. If you just google stuff like 'learn to jog a 5k' or '5k running programme'' or stuff like that I am sure something will come up. I think the site I used was 'jog scotland'. Another way to do it is to jog for 30 seconds then walk for 30 seconds - do this eight times in the session. Practise that a few times a week and then increase it to a minutes jog and then a minutes walk etc ...  Or you could run/walk between lampposts and build that up too. Good luck. It's quite addictive tho!! Xxx

purplenanny

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

Thanks Hot & Spicy, I will take a look and hopefully be inspired! The gentle(!) start you suggest sounds good so I might start with that

Purplenanny x x

minuette

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »

Purplenanny, this is how I started running.  I'm now running 3 times a week, regularly doing a 5K and am going to sign up for the Manchester 10K in May 2013.  It's a fantastic plan.  :)

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

You just need to download the free podcasts and off you go! ;D

limpy

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

purplenanny, the gradual approach is definitely the best way to get into running. I used to run, when I started it was for very short distances, I mean short to the extent that the cats used to come with (we lived in a rural area). I knew I was getting better when the cats gave up.

purplenanny

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »

;D That made me chuckle, thanks Limpy!

I have sadly had to stop the walking/jogging for the time being. It caused awful pain in my shins. Dr wants to see me next week for the results of blood tests and bone scan. Very dissapointed as I was building up nicely

Purplenanny x x

Taz2

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »

That sounds like shin-splints purplenanny

Taz x

flushtered

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »

I couldn't jog even if my life depended on it, useless at any exercise except swimming, walking or some gentle exercises.

purplenanny

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »

That sounds like shin-splints purplenanny

Taz x

Never heard of that Taz? Will look online when I have finished catching up here. Thanks PN x x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8