Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A very moving blog about bowel cancer..  (Read 11961 times)

Taz2

A very moving blog about bowel cancer..
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »

Hi Ladies - I expect a few of you have seen this or maybe I am the only one to have Bowel Cancer Campaign as a FB friend  :)  Anyway I have just read this blog posted by a young woman who is fighting bowel cancer. It is an honest account of her symptoms and I reckon everyone should read it. (hope the link works..)

http://sitemanagergal.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/bowel-cancer-my-symptoms/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-3

Taz x

ariadne

Re: A very moving blog about bowel cancer..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »

I read it Taz  :'( What she put up with before finally getting diagnosed was incredible. How well she has documented it too and I really hope it encourages others to get checked out. Most of all, I hope she recovers.

ariadne xx

leony

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »

Just read it Taz its disgusting that this woman was told to do a second sample and the receptionist stated that that it was fine never informed that it was unsatisfactory some of the staff at these health centres really do think they a law unto themselves think if i was her would take legal advice on the grounds of how many others have they done this or are going to do this to or at least put a complaint into the G M Council. Hope she gets well soon and recieves the proper treatment for it now

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

what a dreadful story Taz. It is so difficult when you are ill and you have to persist in fighting to be heard and treated.

My friend with bowel cancer had different symptoms but her polyps were in the bowel itself, not the rectum.
They were missed by a scan. I was told that any change in bowel habits = you should have an internal colonoscopy unless you are too frail to cope with one. Plus doctors were attentive to her but put her bowel problems down to her spina bifida.
Her polyps perforated which is why, they think, that her cancer's now in the liver too. She's a heavy smoker too.
I read an interview with an oncologist from NYC (I think) who has written a book about his work. He was asked for 5 pieces of advice on how to avoid cancer - he hates all that stuff about how it's really the patient's own fault for getting cancer and how a positive attitude can help you 'beat it' - but he did say the same thing 5x over "don't smoke".

one year in

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Thanks Taz.  I read the blog and then went on to the beating bowel cancer site for more info and joined them on twitter.

I had no idea that bowel cancer was the 2nd greatest of cancer killers in the uk.  Definitely worth passing on.  We really need to start talking about these things and so, apparently, do GPs.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »

Taz - a lot of those symptoms are identical to what my  Mum had and she kept telling her GPs that something was wrong.  They advised her about diet, said it was IBS, diverticulitis, told her to rest etc.

In the end she too, was in tears in the surgery and a GP finally agreed to do a rectal exam which took a couple of seconds before he realised she knew what was wrong with her.  He immediately said he could feel a mass in her rectum.

Anyway, it was indeed bowel cancer and she had surgery and a colostomy which wasn't a load of fun but she coped.  Almost 5 years later bowel cancer again occurred (but not spread apparently, this was a different "strain").  She had more surgery and now has very little bowel at all but is 87 and still going strong.

Because of all this I have had genetic counselling and they initially said I was at low-med risk of bowel cancer.  When they saw all Mum's medical notes they have now said it's med-high risk because she had 2  separate bowel cancers.  I've had diarrhoea for about a year and they never seem worried because I haven't lost weight and the diarrhoea is not all day. ::)  Mum never lost any weight, neither did the girl in the story above.

Your life really is in their hands.   I tell you what - when you're 60 you get a test to do at home for bowel cancer - just make sure you do that.  I'm not old enough and when I asked for one they told me I couldn't, which seems daft as they cost pence!

viv

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

:'(

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »

Hi Penny - my husband lost his mum to bowel cancer when she was 42 and because it was at such a young age he automatically is sent a screening kit - and has been offered one since he reached 40. He is now 57 and has never actually used it! The important part was the fact that she was under 50 when diagnosed - this is much more likely to be a genetically linked cancer than those which are diagnosed after 50. Well, that used to be the advice but maybe it's different now  :-\

Can you afford a private test? I know it is not what should happen but if you have been told that you are at risk then it is worth doing for your own peace of mind. Have you had the gene testing or were you just "thought" to be at risk? How about getting in touch with the Beating Bowel Cancer nurses just for some advice or reassurance http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/?gclid=CLGAkJnN660CFUoifAodj3AK4w

Taz x

viv

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »

You get the kits from age 50 in Scotland. I have done mine but my OH has ignored his. Head in the sand time I think. What is it with men and health matters.

My step father had bowel cancer when he was 86. He lived out the rest of his life with a colostomy bag which was not pleasant. He was too old to tolerate a reversal but he make a good recovery from the surgery for such an old man. He died at 90, but not of bowel cancer.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

Reading the Beating Bowel Cancer site it says

"What if I'm not eligible for screening?

Screening ages are set to reflect the fact that bowel cancer occurs most commonly in people over the age of 50, and is usually a slow growing disease. If you don't qualify for the screening programme due to your age, you might like to consider a private screening service. Please refer to our factsheet 'Screening For Bowel Cancer' for further information.  You can order a screening kit online from several, reputable private companies, at an average cost of £20.00."

Twenty pounds is a small amount to pay for your peace of mind Penny  -  if you are still worried I would definitely go for it!

Having lost one of my best mates to this horrible disease eighteen months ago and seeing her two heartbroken sons who were 15 and 18 when she died trying to cope with her painful death has made me more aware of this horrible disease.

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

Reading the Beating Bowel Cancer site it says

"What if I'm not eligible for screening?

Screening ages are set to reflect the fact that bowel cancer occurs most commonly in people over the age of 50, and is usually a slow growing disease. If you don't qualify for the screening programme due to your age, you might like to consider a private screening service. Please refer to our factsheet 'Screening For Bowel Cancer' for further information.  You can order a screening kit online from several, reputable private companies, at an average cost of £20.00."

Twenty pounds is a small amount to pay for your peace of mind Penny  -  if you are still worried I would definitely go for it!

Having lost one of my best mates to this horrible disease eighteen months ago and seeing her two heartbroken sons who were 15 and 18 when she died trying to cope with her painful death has made me more aware of this horrible disease.

Taz x

Thank you so much Taz.  I did know about the private kit and I agree it is definitely worth it.  I was just surprised that they don't offer that as a first step since it is so cheap.  The next step though is a colonoscopy which they did give me (I think that was in 2010, I'll have to check) and the genetic service recommended I should have one annually.  Now, thinking about that I didn't have one in 2011.  ::) I'll look into that. 

To anybody who receives  a kit (or a family member ) PLEASE do so.  My friend got one when she was 60 and did it and they discovered she had bowel cancer and she had no obvious symptoms at all.  That's really scary I think!  She had major surgery but is doing OK now.

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »

You get the kits from age 50 in Scotland. I have done mine but my OH has ignored his. Head in the sand time I think. What is it with men and health matters.

Oh I agree Honeybun.  I do mine faithfully every 2 years, but hubby bins his.  I've nagged, but he still won't use them.  My grandmother died from bowel cancer and my mum had bowel problems, so I'm very conscious of getting these things checked, no matter how unpleasant it may seem.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »

Oh I agree Honeybun.  I do mine faithfully every 2 years, but hubby bins his.   I've nagged, but he still won't use them.  My grandmother died from bowel cancer and my mum had bowel problems, so I'm very conscious of getting these things checked, no matter how unpleasant it may seem.

That is such a waste - he can send his to me if he likes!  My B-I-L is a real wimp and he wouldn't use his either.  My S-I-L pestered him and said it's only smearing some poo on cardboard but he wouldn't and threw it in the bin.   She and I just don't get it because it is painless, quick and straightforward to do.

Anyway, a couple of months ago he got bad stomach cramps and awful diarrhoea which lasted several weeks and then he wished he had done the test and worried like hell until he got to hospital.  Tests showed he had some diverticular and it's settled down now.

Margarett

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »

Reading this made me realise how lucky I was 2 years ago when I went to the GP with altered bowel habits and bleeding from my rectum.He was right on the ball, referring me for a barium enema within days, then for a colonoscopy within days of that, both very gruelling invasive procedures, and then having surgery for a large pre-cancerous polyp within 5 weeks of my initial visit to the G.P.
I might not have been here now, but for his actions. I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years . For life. And a flexible sigmoidoscopy every year. But I'm still here, and I don't have cancer.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:02:56 AM by Margarett »

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:59:46 PM »

Thanks for posting that Margarett. It is so easy to pretend such symptoms are not actually happening until it is too late - as happened to my dear friend.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2