Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 862015 times)

annemarie

vaginal atrophy
« Reply #885 on: March 17, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »

Hi  I have suddenly started having a brownish pink discharge after being on HRT for 3 years and not having a period for some time, I have recently changed tablets, also stomach like period pains is this normal?

:-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #886 on: March 17, 2016, 01:19:49 PM »

annemarie - Hi and welcome to MM
If you change the type of HRT you use then it is quite common to get spotting or erratic bleeding until things adjust and settle.  The cramps will be because your body is adjusting.
What HRT were you using before and what you are now using?
If spotting persists or gets worse then it may be worth asking for a scan.
Have you done a post on NEW MEMBERS so more ladies can respond and welcome you?
DG x

annemarie

« Reply #887 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »

Hi

I was on premique low dose, but could not get anymore from maufactuer.  I am now on femoston conti.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #888 on: March 17, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

Hi Anniemarrie - these are very different types of HRT so you will get some initial problems.  Actually Femoston is a better HRT to use anyway as the oestrogen is bio identical and the progesterone is kinder.  I expect things will settle in the next few weeks.  Dg x

annemarie

« Reply #889 on: March 17, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

Thank you :)

Norma

« Reply #890 on: March 23, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

I was having serious dryness, not only with vaginal dryness but also my skin. It was causing rashes and mysterious itches, it was very uncomfortable. I went to my health food store and they recommended Flax Oil and Maca Root. I took a teaspoon of oil twice daily and within 3 days I had noticeable changes. I was no longer suffering from any sort of dryness. It is though my world took on a whole new season. I know that natural remedies vary from person to person, but I highly recommend this easy fix. And also as a side note, I am no longer suffering from hot flashes either. :-) I will definitely continue taking the Flax Oil.

elizabeth64

« Reply #891 on: April 10, 2016, 10:48:32 PM »

Positive results from a phase 3 trial of intravaginal dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA; EndoCeutics) suggest it may be a viable alternative to intravaginal estrogen in combatting dryness and painful sex after menopause.

"The fact that we would have another new hormonal treatment that is not estrogen is exciting," JoAnn Pinkerton, MD, NCMP, executive director of the North American Menopause Society, told Medscape Medical News. "And unlike lubricants and moisturizers, it actually corrects the problem. For women who are fearful of or don't want to use vaginal estrogens, it gives them a hormonal vaginal product that works."

DHEA is a hormone, but the effects appear to be localized, which means no significant amount of sex hormone gets released into the bloodstream. All estrogen-based vaginal formulations increase estrogens in the bloodstream, even at low doses, say lead author Fernand Labrie, MD, PhD, president and chief executive officer of EndoCeutics Inc, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, and colleagues.

elizabeth64

« Reply #892 on: April 10, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »

I found this - "Carlsons are vaginal suppositories containing vitamin E which I obtained from Amazon. When you remove them from the foil they are each individually enclosed in I can only describe them as a white, waxy bullet. When I have pulled down the foil about half way down I then insert my thumb nail to separate the suppository in two and just take the top piece and place it in my tiny lidded container, and rewrap the piece left in the foil to use up next time." As stated previously I then tip out half of the DHEA capsule (keeping the half remaining capsule to use next time with the suppository) put the lid on the plastic container and shake them both up together. I did discover a better way though and have bought a lubricant called Sylk (I'm sure any water based lube would be OK) and add just one drop to the plastic container before I shake it. This improved the take up of the DHEA onto the Carlsons. So there you have it, my D.I.Y recipe (following weeks of Google research) to finally beat this very painful condition of severe atrophy. The Carlsons gave me immediate relief from the soreness and dryness, and there is hope that the DHEA will provide a long term return to normality. I did use this every day for a month and now reduced to alternate days 3 times a week with a break at the weekends. The cost is minimal and I don't suffer any of the symptoms I was experiencing before. I would have used the Dehydration Cubes if they were available in the U.K. but they just aren't but as this method is undeniably working for me I am quite happy to continue with it. I was prescribed Vagifem by my local hospital but was too sore to even be able to insert the applicator without a great deal more pain and within 5 days I was so unwell I knew I couldn't continue with it. The severe headache in itself was unbearable but I had severe cramps in my lower regions and, it's hard to describe, but I felt as if my body was trying to eject that one small, hard tablet. I am a person who has experienced similar headaches which went on day after day whenever I was described anything hormonal but I have had no problem whatsoever in tolerating the DHEA and it doesn't remind me of its presence in any way. I insert it and forget it. Simples!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:06:28 PM by elizabeth64 »

elizabeth64

« Reply #893 on: April 10, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »

I am going to try the above - apologies if it it discussed here - I have read the first 35 pages and didn't come across it.

I have been on the Vagifem all this week and my mood has plummeted drastically. I feel like I am locked in my own body in a claustrophobic way just like I did when I tried the vivelle dot patch (but estrogel is fine)  I don't think I can stick out the Vagifem any longer - anyone else tried the DHEA ?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #894 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »

elizabeth64 - Before you try all this expensive DHEA etc. do try the Sylk alongside the Vagifem.  Sylk is a brilliant lubricator anyway - I use it everyday - I also use Multi Gyn Actigel which can relieve itchiness and soreness.  If you have been trying to use Vagifem without a lubricant then it will have been really uncomfortable. I responded to your other thread - please don't give up on Vagifem as it really will work in time and will help generally. I use everything - systemic HRt (one pump of Oestrogel daily with 12 days of Utrogestan, together with Vagifem and lubricants - I need it all of this to keep things healthy around my 'lady bits'.  It will get better but I think someone suggested you see a pelvic floor clinic for advice as well, which I feel would be essential for you - so ask your GP for a referral.  Dg x

elizabeth64

« Reply #895 on: April 11, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »

Hi Dg
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I am on a similar protocol to you - 1 pump estrogel a day. Then USP progesterone for 12 days, plus I take a tiny bit of testosterone which has been amazing. I have got DHEA tablets from my doctor already so its easy for me to put a tiny bit of one into a vitamin E pessary

I alos have some Ovestin cream for the outer lady bits.

I have been using the vagifem for a week and I feel so awful. I can't bear it. Violent hot flashes, exhaustion, overwhelming nausea. I've got a small business and I can't do anything today apart from lie down.

My husband and I haven't had sex for 2 years, not because of the pain ( I didn't know ) but because of marital problems. I found out myself with a vibrator last weekend.

I was interested to read that DHEA converts to oestrogen in the vagina - so it should work in the same way - and people have been raving about it recently.

Marta2778

« Reply #896 on: April 17, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »

Hi
I have definitely had this problem!!
Went from sloppy guiseppe to sudden Sahara!!
Went on Internet and found Estring which is an hrt ring that you insert for 3 months, and it releases a tiny amount of oestrogen daily
Has definitely worked for me, and now able to have sex now and then!! Xxx

Ju Ju

« Reply #897 on: September 07, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »

I'm very annoyed. Just collected my prescription for Vagifem. I have been prescribed 2 pessaries twice a week, because my vagina was very red and sore and I was having thrush infection affection after thrush infection. The new prescription, which was prescribed by my gynaecologist, has made things much, much better. The pharmacist told me that the prescription was far too strong and that the normal dose of 10mg was perfectly adequate. The middle of Boots is not the place for an argument.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #898 on: September 07, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »

Ju Ju  - you start with 10mg Vagifem pessary every day for the first 2 weeks and then use 2-3 times a week after that.  The 25mg pessary was phased out quite some time ago - your gynae should have known this?!!!!

I would also use some Sylk alongside Vagifem to moisturise and sooth the whole area.  DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #899 on: September 07, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »

I'm well aware of this. I am following the advice given to me by my gynaecologist, who has an excellent reputation and who I trust. I've been using vagifem for a while and the normal prescription was fine. However, the need to increase the dose came after hysterectomy and on examination she found that I was very red and sore. I had had several thrush infections, plus strep B, which had never happened before. Even inserting vagifem caused injury unless I was very, very careful. By following this regime, things have settled down and no doubt, I can cut down eventually. My GP is happy with the advice I have been given. I'm cross, because the pharmistist seemed very judgemental without any idea of the facts.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 79