Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 861637 times)

Di

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »

Hi,
Didn't cope with it at all. HRT was the only thing that gave relief from it. I tried KY Gel, but without success.

Sooz

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »

I have just finished my 2 weeks on Vagifem and use it twice a week now for the next 10 weeks. The doc says I can go back on it when the symptoms return. Can anyone tell me how long it might take before the dryness returns ? It has taken 10 days for me to feel comfortable again and the feeling of impending cystitis to go. 

lindastan

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 04:08:41 PM »

Sorry to be dim, but do I gather that you can't use Vagifem (which seems to be the clear winner in this discussion) if you're already on HRT? Or certain types of HRT? Or doesn't it matter?

Taz2

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 04:17:38 PM »

Hi Lindastan - I started off with Vagifem and was advised to continue using it until the HRT kicked in then there would be no need to use both. The doc was right and I stopped Vagifem within a week of using the HRT patches. The HRT has returned my vaginal state to before meno - and I suppose this is right as it is the reduction in oestrogen which causes the dryness.

Taz x

Sooz

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »

Has anyone had bleeding after being on Vagifem for a couple of weeks? 2 days after I finished the every day dose I got cramps and then started a light period like bleeding. As I am now 55 and stopped my periods in Nov. I am assuming this is due to the effects of the Vagifem and not a retrurn of my periods as unlikely at my age.

Taz2

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »

Sooz - i think that it is down as a side effect in the leaflet which comes with the drug. November is not long though to have been without periods - I went 10 months between, twice, before becoming regular again.  I didn't have any bleeding but did experience period pains after two weeks. These disappeared by the fourth week and then I started HRT proper so can't give you any advice after that.

Have just found it on netdoctor - it says bleeding may occur but should be reported to your GP http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002706.html

Love Taz x

Wendy

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2008, 02:55:25 PM »

I found this site and this is the first time that I am hearing about symptons I have.  I have just started Vagifem so we wait and see... but the mention by others of soreness, impending cystistis like discomfort, and all that,  is almost a relief in itself!!    These symptons are nothing new to me and have always been 'monthly/hormonal'  related since before I was 20 - GPs didn't seem to take it seriously, until this latest one, so I have just put up with it, though I've learned to cope in one way and another.   

Wendy

Tricia

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »

Hi Wendy  :welcomemm:

You will find lots of support here and lots of meno ladies who are going through similar symptoms as you are, so stick around and share your news and views.

Love,

Tricia :-* :-* :-*

slightlybonkers

• First Flush
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »

Like others I have had problems with soreness, pain and cystits feelings.  I have seen a couple of Gynecologists and both say lack of oestrogen is probably the cause and prescribed Vagifem. Things have improved slightly after 5 months, however it has all flared up again, despite using the Vagifem 2 times a week.  I don;t appear to be dry anymore and as I am not in a sexual relationship at the moment I cannot say if that would be uncomfortable.

Anybody had a similar problem with Vagifem not working after a while.  I have had so many swobs and blood tests but all come back negative for infection of any kind so really confused. I feel as if I have ridden a bicycle for days on a saddle with no padding and have had the whole area waxed and the hairs are growing back all at the same time!  All suggestions welcome as I am going cazy.

Taz2

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2008, 06:16:34 AM »

Hi Slightlybonkers (only slightly?!!  ;D)

I seem to remember when I was on Vagifem that the doc said that after a while on twice a week it would probably be necessary to up the dose again to every night before then dropping back to twice a week. Does it say anything in the instructions about this? It could be that your levels drop a little and need a "boost" before being maintained for a while on the lower dose.

Hope this helps.

taz

Sooz

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2008, 10:36:07 AM »

I have been told to use it every night for 2 weeks then twice a week for 10 weeks. The doc said I was then to stay off it until symptoms returned and then I would start on the nightly dose again for the 2 weeks and reduce again.  She said this may have to be for the rest of my life if things didn't settle down. I think maybe you need to go back to the full dose again.

Sooz

vianne

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »

Hi gals, sorry i haven't read all the pages on this thread so i don't know if this has been mentioned but i recently saw an advert for a product called Replens. Apparently it is like a pessary which you can insert and it lasts a few days. Anyone used this? I wondered if its any good.  Thanks.

vianne x

slightlybonkers

• First Flush
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »

Thanks for your advice.  I have got an appointment with the nurse on Friday and will discuss with her if she thinks I should up the doseage for a while.  I know that any tests will not show either thrush or a bladder infection so it must be the good old menopause making things uncomfortable.

I have tried Replens in the past, and whilst it did make the internal parts feel better it did not do much for the external discomfort and pain so presume that the oestrogen is needed to work on the skin tissues.  The stupid thing is when all is hunky dory down below it is almost impossible to remember just how horrid it is when it flares up - bit like toothache really. 

Sooz

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

Vianne
I too tried Replens and like you it helped lots internally but it was the external tissues that it didn't help. Walking my dog was torture . That all changed when I persuaded the doc to let me try Vagifem. In 10 days I felt normal again. Agree it is only when it feels bad that you think you need help. When things improve, you find yourself thinking it was  all your imagination. For me the vaginal discomfort is a pain I can't live with . It stops me concentrating on anything other than my bladder which then gets ultra sensitive. Fortunately I do not have any weakness there but sometimes I felt as though if I didn't get there fast I might leak. Hope this helps you make some decisions

Sooz

Marina

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »

Hi, I'm a new member and just wanted to say how helpful I have found this thread.

I had my last period at 44, went on HRT at 45, now I'm 48. The HRT had a good effect on my dreadful hot flushes, and I feel much better generally. However, HRT has had no effect at all on vaginal dryness/atrophy.

My problem is that I am due to have a smear test. I attended an appointment a few months ago, it was absolute torture, and the nurse was unable to complete the test. She did say something about seeing the doctor and getting some hormone treatment, but all I could think of was "not more hormones - I'm on HRT already!". My body kept going into spasms for the rest of the day. Prior to menopause, I had regular smear tests, and it was never a problem and never painful.

I've now had another letter from the doctor about having this test, and to add insult to injury the letter says that it is best to have the test "between Day 13 and Day 18 of your cycle". It's nearly 10 years since I could identify a mid-cycle! Anyway, I have been completely stressed out about this, and it's been a great help to read the messages on this thread, I will calm down now, and at least I will be able to talk to the doctor from a position of knowledge!

There's a lot said about post-menopausal women finding sex painful, and their vaginas becoming smaller, yet no-one seems to mention how these women are supposed to have smear tests!  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 79