Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness  (Read 861708 times)

Postmeno3

Re: Tell us how you cope with vaginal dryness
« Reply #1110 on: July 21, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »

Hmmmmm....not sure if I could confidently say VA is the "easiest" thing to control, but that's a personal take. Maybe it depends on how long it has existed, undetected or otherwise, plus other oestrogen deficiency related influences and what has caused them, naturally or otherwise. It's very much an individually experienced thing and, mostly, seems to need a fair bit of trial and error for consistent wellbeing? Also, it can go hand-in-hand with or be part of a wider issue, GSM (genitourinary syndrome of menopause) which, in my understanding, is mostly fairly problematic and trickier still to resolve or at least improve?

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #1111 on: July 21, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »

Hello Hurdler, I am sorry you have had such a difficult time, and cross that your GP does not seem to listen.

Does your GP practice have a GP or Nurse who manages Women's health you could ask to see?

I found the ordinary moisturisers, Boots own brand gel (no parabens in it), and VagiSAN cream (the  one that you can use internally as well as externally) worked to an extent. I  had the VA for  6 weeks and tried them once I saw the C4 programme. I  found Vagisan is better at soothing than the gel, but that may be different for somebody else. They did not treat the problem with my bladder. The small amount of oestrogen in the prescribed cream treats the urinary symptoms, the inflammation and the dryness in the vagina and outer areas.

I am wondering what tests you have been offered for UTI? Does the GP check your urine sample?

Edited to correct the name of a product.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 06:57:20 PM by Gynaikeíos »

CherrySG

« Reply #1112 on: July 22, 2021, 11:37:30 AM »

Hi Hurdling, I am really sorry about your experience with the horrible-sounding GPs.

A couple of GPs at my practice suggested I come off HRT, luckily I managed to speak to the lady GP who offered me HRT in the first place. I had to fight to get local as well as systemic HRT, and then Ovestin PLUS Vagifem. So many of us have this tiresome battle, and the balance of power is unequal.

As you have lots of classic meno symptoms, it's worth giving the patches a try. They will help with VA also, from the inside out!

But you sound like you would benefit from local oestrogen too (Vagifem or Ovestin - some of us use both). It's in the NICE guidelines for menopause that women with VA symptoms can have both local and systemic oestrogen: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations 1:49 onwards. VA is a right b*****, and even with all this can take up to a year to get sorted.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1113 on: July 22, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »

There is a new product for VA on the market but meno brain here, I can't remember the name!  Do read our various threads on the issues ;-)

CherrySG

« Reply #1114 on: July 22, 2021, 01:09:11 PM »

Would that be the charmingly-named Imvaggis, CLKD?  ;D

suzysunday

« Reply #1115 on: July 22, 2021, 01:54:38 PM »

I know, what a repulsive name!

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #1116 on: July 22, 2021, 03:29:22 PM »

I wonder what marketing agency came up with that!!!!!  ;D
A German one??
A joint Scottish and German?  ;D

CherrySG

« Reply #1117 on: July 22, 2021, 06:20:03 PM »

Like a wee haggis, with a German pronoun   ;D

suzysunday

« Reply #1118 on: July 23, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »

Yes always reminded me of "haggis"!  Not really a great comparison to ones vagina!

Postmeno3

« Reply #1119 on: July 23, 2021, 04:41:14 PM »

Erm......🤔
😂😂😂

VictoryV

« Reply #1120 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:42 PM »

Hi Ladies, what a find, thanks for all the info!
I’ve not got VA or dryness yet, I’m wondering whether there is any benefit in using moisturisers or Ovestin nightly. My GP included Ovestin in my initial HRT prescription but we didn’t talk about VA, dryness or change in appearance so I’ve not used it. Would using it help as a preventative measure perhaps?
I do hope you all pain free ASAP. I think you’re all incredible as the ‘none downstairs symptoms’ are extremely tough without this thrown in too. It really annoys me that women are dealing with this in silence and then have to fight with GP’s to get the correct help.
Thanks,
Victoria :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #1121 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:35 PM »

It's not a bad idea to use the Ovestin now before you get symptoms. Maybe a couple of times a week? If you had symptoms you would do a loading dose of 14 consecutive nights and then reduce to a maintenance dose of at least twice a week. So doing just the maintenance dose seems like a good wheeze. No point in using a moisturiser if you are OK without. A regular self examination is also a good idea, like people do with breast examination. You will then know what "normal" looks like for you, in case of future changes such as pallor or shrinkage.
JP x
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:26:52 PM by Joaniepat »

Jane_w

« Reply #1122 on: October 15, 2021, 05:23:39 PM »

Hello 👋  I'm new here.. 54 and nearly 2yrs post meno. I've found this site really helpful and as I'm having a crappy time with VA I've been lurking here for a while! I started using estriol as prescribed by v nice Dr but after a month of using it diligently every night the awful increasing burning sensation that only started with using the cream became too much to bear. Bladder felt better and I had the best months sleep I've had in years (?!) but Dr advised to stop if it was that painful. I'm wondering if this is an unusual reaction to estriol?  Feeling a bit desperate and wondering if I should just persist with estriol despite the 🔥! I'm worried I might not get another option with Dr's as stretched as they are at the moment... hoping I can battle and get a phone call with Dr next week to discuss.. Thank you for a great site ladies.

Haydo

« Reply #1123 on: October 15, 2021, 06:08:16 PM »

Hi Jane.  It may be that the fillers in the estriol do not suit you.  I initially was prescribed estriol but it seemed to be making things worse,  so I stopped it after 3 or 4 weeks.   I was then prescribed vagifem and then, after seeing a gynaecologist, was prescribed ovestin to use externally as well as the vagifem.  That, together with Olive & Bee moisturiser, has made the difference for me, although I still have some days where I feel irritated and burning.   Maybe you could ask to try vagifem or one of the other types of oestrogen available.  I’m no expert, but I think it’s a case of trial and error until you find what suits you.  Good luck with it. 

Jane_w

« Reply #1124 on: October 15, 2021, 06:29:21 PM »

Hi Haydo. That is interesting and helpful, thank you. Dr has hinted that she may refer me but I'd be happy to stick with her prescribing me something else (like vagifem) to at least try to find a better solution rather than waiting for a referral that may take a very long time. I will discuss this with her. I've found the Yes VM to be quite good for now but it's obviously not going to do much for my bladder! It seems Olive and Bee gets mentioned a fair bit so I will look at that too. Thanks again..
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 79