Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: TMJ - I've Found a Fantastic Book (inexpensive) for TMJ - by Physical Therapist  (Read 18533 times)

silverlady

If you go you Amazon UK and search for the book you will be able to Click on "Look inside" and read a lot of the book online free.

Just click on "List of Contents"

silverlady x

Trey

I'm sorry - I pm ed some with the title and author.  It is the TMJ Healing Plan by Cynthia Petersen PT.

Another symptom I hate is when my scalp feels tight and I can almost feel the roots of my hair.  Ear ache is another and that crackling sound and stuffed feeling.  I don't have any of that after one week.

I am such a cynic that, for me, this book has just been so helpful and made me more positive.

menomax

Thank you Trey,
I also suffer with TMJ. The scalp feeling, earache, head, neck/shoulder ache and ringing in my ears are all things I suffer with. I have wear & tear in my jaw also. My son & daughter also suffer with TMJ. Both my son and I sleep with a night guard. Will try the tongue thing.

Hi Tina, I've also suffered from a dry socket.    Awful, awful pain!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:20:11 PM by bluebell »

Trey

The book was only 11.56 on US Amazon and my hints are nothing compared to the value of the book.

Jenny50

I found a copy of this on Amazon for a very reasonable price so thanks, Trey.  Your advice about where to put my tongue (!) is so clear - thanks.  I Googled it and couldn't really understand what they were telling me to do.  Since the dentist mentioned my tongue to me I'm obsessed with it too, had no idea I did anything differently to other people.  I find it tends to sit in all sorts of different parts of my mouth so how could he sum up what it did in one examination?  Very strange.  Anyway, I'm trying to get into the habit of putting it exactly where you describe so hope to unlearn any bad habits.

As usual you lovely ladies on this forum are the font of all knowledge.

Jenny X

Trey

I wondered how he could see the 'correct' position with your lips closed like they are supposed to be.  I guess if it were really 'weird' positioning than maybe.  Hmm, hard to visualize. 

Jenny50

The dentist was examining my teeth and said he noticed it then.  The thing is my mouth was wide open and I was struggling against my natural reflex to swallow, we all know what that feels like.  The more I think about it the more confused I get.

Jenny X

Trey

I just read her chapter on breathing correctly and how incorrect breathing is thought to lead to migraine, neck and shoulder issues, but the most interesting - irritated nerve endings due to the carbon dioxide/oxygen ratio in the blood.  Fibro??

She makes such good sense and her methods work immediately - for me, anyhow.

Julie.

Hi Trey, what a good thread.
Only just saw it so thanks for putting this up.

I too suffer from TMJ and what with Cervical spondilosis too suffer awful pain.

Going to send for that book right away.

Oh and i am now sat with my mouth shut, tongue touching front teeth and i will say its easing the pain in my face. :P :)

Thanks again.
J x

Trey

Jazza, I'm still so excited - my tinnitus of 10 years or more is becoming less loud - ahhhhhhhhh, there's hope.  How can something so simple be so effective.  Also, helping my OH with occasional swallowing/choking problems and me with large pills.

Who knew? ::)

PS: Jazza, any adjustments to posture regarding neck should be extremely gentle.  A super PT told me the saying is re: the neck, "if you can feel it, it is too much".  As CLKD would say, Baby Steps.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:36:53 PM by Trey »

Julie.

Hi Trey,
Well i best mention again i have Fibro too and from the minute i read your post and went on Amazon and read inside the book you mentions (have bought the book now) i have been aware of how i am holding my face/mouth/tongue etc.
I spent most of last night and afternoon attempting to keep my tongue in the correct place and was doing some very very gentle exercises and have to say the nerve pain eased a little. I also know my posture isn't right at all and have spent time trying to keep my head up more.

I also can be sat in the chair when all of a sudden  my mouth just clamped on its own and i almost break my teeth.
I used to wear a mouth guard at night but it made me gagg so stopped it.

Will keep following this thread as i am going to stick with this and thank you once again.
Take care J x :) :) :) :)

Bette

Hi Jazza
Have you considered trying Alexander Technique to help with your posture? The lessons can be a little expensive but once you've learnt how to do it, you just apply it yourself. I can't recommend it enough.  :)
http://www.stat.org.uk/index.htm
Bette x

Julie.

Bette thanks for the link above.
Looking at it now.
I have tried everything else but not the Alexander Technique.
Will try anything to ease this nerve pain. :)

Trey

I'm getting further into the book and continue to be amazed at the connections with tmj, fibro and such. Probably the best purchase I've even made.  At good PT is wonderful.  A bad one is awful.
She refers to Janet Travell - I've had her books for probably 20+ years and they have helped me avoid a wheel chair and live a fairly normal life given some congenital issues.  So her sources are the best.  She says Travell's two volumes are called the 'Red Bibles' and I can see why.  So much good info.  Travell's now cost about $500.00 USD so $11 or 12 seems wonderful.

It's so nice to know we can improve even at this age.

SadLynda

I used to suffer from appauling neck and shoulder pain, solved after starting yoga.  My friend (still not had her confirmation email after a few days) has had jaw problems for many years and the DH has the jaw clicking thing and neck and shoulder probs.  Added to wish list due to my recent financial cock up - again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3