Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone on Sandrena gel?  (Read 59080 times)

oldsheep

Re: Anyone on Sandrena gel?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »

gynae told me that oestradiol valerate pills are the same chemical compound as the oestrogen in Sandrena  if that helps anyone.
Glad it's working Dyan. x

Melbury

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »

I'm getting confused!  So are Oestrogel and Sandrena the same?

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

Hi Melbury - I am confused too and apologies if I confused you further!

To all intents they are the same ie they are both gels applied externally and contain oestrogen - as estradiol. They are different brand names for essentially the same product (as far as I understand).
What is confusing is that when you look up all the patient info leaflets, netdoctor, or the summary of product characteristics they appear to sound different!

I had another look and one says estradiol as  "estradiol hemi-hydrate" and the other says estradiol as "synthetic beta-estradiol" - even for the same product.

The only thing I was wondering earlier is that maybe the estradiol is in different forms and maybe experienced differently in different individuals - but I think I am probably wrong in this..... I am not a pharmacist or GP so maybe someone can shed some light on this!

The reason I thought this was because of the different doses given in the Green Menu which Bette pointed out - and I don't know why this is the case.

However because both are gels and you dispense the oestrogen by pumps then this enables the amount to be adjusted easily.

I see that Sandrena also comes in different concentrations (0.5 mg and 1.0 mg) so using this you would normally just presumably use the one dose per day depending on what you had been prescribed (ie similar to a 50 mcg or 100 mcg patch).

Estrogel is more easily finely tuned because you use two pumps per day (each one being 0.25) so you could up to 3 pumps ( to 0.75 mg) without doubling your oestrogen.

From what I can make out Sandrena is made in Finland and Estrogel in France - but trying to find the manufacturer as opposed to the distributor is quite difficult!

Bottom line (  ;D) is - if it works for you then that's great - but I doubt it would be worth changing from Sandrena to Oestrogel, unless for example you wanted to tweak it a bit yourself, and once a day sounds less trouble than twice. Some women may also be much more sensitive to changing oestrogen levels and prefer to apply it twice a day if they notice the effects wearing off.

I hope that is less confusing - but I am just working it out too from what I've read and what I am surmising from the info!!

Hurdity x  :)

Melbury

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:40 PM »

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply Hurdity - very informative.

I won't be changing to Sandrena as I am on Oestrogel at the moment so want to see how I get on with it.

Thanks again.

mccollumm

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »

Hi I am using San Rena gel. I started with 1mg once a day but was spotting for up to two weeks after my period so I was then told to increase it to 2mg a day. I feel awful :'( my moods are dreadful and I just feel like crying. Am considering going back to 1mg and putting up with the spotting.

juliekim

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »

Hi,

Hurdity I have just read your post above and I have just checked my Estrogel.  The name on the container is Oestrodose, not Estrogel (although that is what the Parmacist has put on the typed sticky label).  It also says that each metered dose (which I am assuming is one pump) contains 0.75mg estradiol and not 0.25mg as you have stated.  Is this because I am using a different type ie Oestrodose?

Julie x

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

Hi juliekim

The post I wrote below which you refer to was over 2 years ago! I really don't know where I got that information from and I can't remember now (!), but it certainly isn't correct now.

As far as I understand it Oestrodose is the brand name. It doesn't seem to be listed in the Green Menu to the left, but it sounds like the same concentration as Estrogel ie 1 measure (pump) = .75 mg estradiol.

Hurdity x

juliekim

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »

Sorry Hurdity, I didn't look at the post date! Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Juli x

Ljc

• First Flush
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 01:19:04 PM »

Hello 👋
Just about to start on sandrena & utrogestan- I'm hoping this is "the one"
Dr seems to have only given me one months supply of the sandrena(1mg) & 3 months of the utrogestan
I'm confused 🙄🙄
Can anyone help me understand the dosage?  :) :)

Ecl

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 11:20:06 PM »

Hi, I am on sandrena 0.5 and utrogestan. I am really happy with my regime right now and find the sachets helpful as I put 14 in a box and use them in the mornings then when I go to get the next 14 I know I need to start taking the utro too so it keeps me on track.
I think there is a dosage comparison chart on here somewhere which says that 0.5 of sandrena is the same level as one pump of oestrogel, and the 1mg is the same as 2 pumps. I think the medication is the same but the other ingredients are different. I find it easy to rub in and quick to dry, easy to transport if I go away and have not had a hot flush since a week after I started on it

ange63

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2022, 06:10:59 AM »

Hi All, I see this is dated Feb 22 - but watching all on Sandrena as just started on 0.5 yesterday....... second attempt as HRT as was on Everol 50 patch but no great improvements.   Hope you are all doing ok....
Pages: 1 [2]