Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lactose intolerance.....  (Read 16004 times)

Val.M

Lactose intolerance.....
« on: November 02, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »

Hi Ladies

Over the past couple of months I've become Lactose intolerant.  So far, I've coped pretty well with Lacto-free milk and yoghurts :)  No nausea, stomach cramps or excessive wind ;)  But I really want to eat some cheese :sigh:  I've tried the Lactose free cheese and it tasted like rubber ;D  I've tried (hard) Goat's cheese but it tasted dreadful and was unbelievably expensive! 

I just wondered if anyone else was in the same situation?  I would welcome some advice on hidden lactose in other foods too..

Valxx

grumpy2008

Re: Lactose intolerance.....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »

I have a friend who avoids dairy and gluten (she has ulcerative colitis) so I'm often looking for alternatives for her, and recently came across this: http://www.buteisland.com/index.htm. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it has won awards and can be bought online, and some of the recipes look yummy!

I hope it helps :)

Val.M

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »

Thanks Grumpy2008

This link looks promising!  Initially I thought that it was aimed only at wholesale but the products can be split and paid for individually apparently - well I think that's the case with some of the suppliers.

I do wish some of the major supermarkets would make Dairy Free products more available.  My local Morrisons and Tesco sell Lacto free milk and Soya Yoghurts and that's it ::)

Valxx

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »

Val I've been lactose intolerant for more than 10 years.  A real pain isn't it?!  I've tried the dairy free cheeses as posted by grumpy2008.  I didn't particularly enjoy them, though found the flavoured ones slightly more palatable.  I too miss cheese. 
I have had to alter many recipes which has worked out so far.  As for hidden ingredients, I was warned many years ago that monosodium glutamate is one of the worst as it can cover a multitude of flavours including anything dairy.
You are lucky you can tolerate the lactose free products, I can only take very small quantities of it.  My dairy intolerance has got worse over the years unfortunately.

daisie

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:07:11 AM »

hi ladies iv noticed for quite some time now every time i have yoghurts cheese chocolate or anything dairy i get mucus at the back of my throat and have to cough to clear it could it be intolerance to dairy?

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

Lactose intolerance doesn't affect me that way at all.  It's not mentioned as a symptom on the NHS website.  It affects your stomach/bowels.

silverlady

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »

Could be daisie, it is recommended that if you suffer from sinus problems such as post nasal drip to try cutting out dairy to see if it makes a

difference.

http://www.sinuswars.com/sinusinfection.asp

silverlady x

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:50:44 AM by silverlady »

daisie

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »

thank you both for your replys it just seemed to be a bit strange doesnt happen with other things i eat it must be hard having to cut dairy out of your diets i just love yoghurts cheese and chocolate x

Val.M

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »

Thank you for your replies Ladies :)

I definitely suffer from sinus problems but to be honest, going lactose free has made little difference to me in that area.  The main difference has been with my stomach and bowels....  I don't feel sick in the middle of the night, or have stomach cramps now :)  Also, the amount of "wind" I have, has reduced considerably!  (Thank God!)  Bloating and diarrhoea has definitely been much, much better too ;)

Unfortunately, I have had to cut chocolate out of my diet too ::)  Had some the other day, for the first time in months - chocolate buttons, and they gave me stomach cramps and a horrible tingling sensation in my lips :(  Definitely didn't feel right.  Don't think I'll be trying any chocolate again soon...

Valxx

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »

Try dark chocolate Val.  I buy 80% stuff from the supermarket.  Though, some you have to be careful of as the odd one has milk in.  It's a case of reading the labels, which is a real pain.  Especially if you find something you can take, then they change the recipe and add milk to the ingredients.  I've been caught out a few times with that.

Trey

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »

I was super lactose intolerant.  I found that taking lactaid tabs (chewable) really helped, but it wasn't until I gave up Gluten that almost all my seemingly lifelong gut problems virtually ended.  Amazing really.  I can eat cheese and do almost daily and well you know I love my dark chocolate.

Val.M

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »

That's very interesting Trey!  I've read that Gluten intolerance can lead to Lactose intolerance - but that would just about finish me off I think ;D 

I'm not sure if it's connected, but - I'm having a lot of pain in my fingers and toes of late, particularly in the early morning and it wakes me up :(  Think I will have to make an appt. with new Gp - I hope to God he's more sympathetic than the previous one ::)

Valxx

rebecca

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »

I have been wheat & Lactose intolerant for 19 years now....

I have been suffering wind and bloating recently and asked the doctor if I could get another Lactose intolerant test and she said that there wasn't one. I went onto explain that I have been diagnosed years ago by blowing into a tube and something was being measured, not sure exactly what and she said they don't do that anymore   :-\

Rebecca

Trey

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 12:08:30 AM »

Rebecca, is this it? Urea breath test. A urea breath test checks to see if you have H. pylori bacteria in your stomach. This test can show if you have an H. pylori infection. It can also be used to see if treatment has worked to get rid of H. pylori. The breath test is not always available.  From Webmd

I think for Lactose Intolerance that Lactaid tablets (do they make it in UK) is a great solution. 

Trey

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »

Hi ValM, have they checked for Raynaud's disease (constriction/spasm of tiny blood vessels)?  Often though people with this feel cold as well and sometimes they have a sort of blue tinge.  Just a guess - I've known a few ladies with this.  More a nuisance than serious.
Pages: [1] 2 3