Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gentle exercise is the way forward  (Read 6476 times)

Taz2

Gentle exercise is the way forward
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »

I am not sure if this has been posted before but I sometimes forget to check the News from this site and I found this heartening when I read it! http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=122/Moderate-Exercise-Appears-to-Be-Best-for-Middle-Aged-Women

Mind you if I am "middle-aged" it means I will live to be 114  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gentle exercise is the way forward
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

I walked so much during the week that my thigh muscles keep going into spasm  >:(

Gobe

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »

Very heartening and good to see general gardening metioned as exercise.  I always break out into a sweat when I am gardening which reminds me the front path needs weeding again. 

Firewalker50

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »

Great post Taz2.  Thank you.

I have fibromyalgia (as many on here have) and I hate not being able to exercise, so when I feel good I start again and do too much, always injure myself (even with yoga!!!) and then get very upset and depressed about it.  I just want to be better, do what I used to do and shed some of my weight.

Really heartened to read that article.  Thanks MM for providing it and Taz for finding and posting it.

Fx

changesbabe

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »

Just seen this post taz - really like the article. It's interesting cause I really think my body would benefit from exercise but I have felt so unwell I feel I can't exercise till I get better.  Here I am a year later and I am still saying the same. Makes me wonder if some kind of exercise would help the recovery. Hmm I wonder what I could get started with? Xxx

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 07:55:13 AM »

I am amazed at how different I feel after my break away last week. Before I went I was struggling to do much walking and felt far too tired to go out on my normal two mile route each day. However, even after a three hour drive I was out straight away and on the beach walking for an hour and then back to unpack my cases and off over the cliffs for a quick meander as well. This continued all week and I felt so energised. I am not saying that it is all in the mind, the tiredness, but I am trying to hold on to the positive feel and force myself to walk everyday.

When I was first recovering with fibro I would set myself little walking targets. Before fibro I would walk around four miles a day, fast walk, but a year after I developed it I couldn't even get to the postbox at the end of the road. I started off walking for five minutes away from home and then five minutes back and eventually built it up. I have never got past my two miles though but I do walk it in just under half an hour which is fast walking. Start slowly and see how you get on.

Taz x

silverlady

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:23 AM »

Tax you are so right about walking making you feel better (I long to be able to have long sea walks) walking uses up excess adrenaline, calms and clears the mind, I feel I need to connect with nature whatever season.

These last few months I have not walked so much for one reason or another and I can honestly say I have felt different, not so healthy, not so calm and certainly not sleeping so well, I have told OH that I must start walking again whether he comes with me or not.

silverlady x

Oldteen

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »

I recommend any exercise that you can manage. I'm a recent convert, and though I've not lost so much as an ounce in weight I feel so much better, and have more energy than I did five years ago.

Oldteen

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »

Indeed!  ;D

I'm off to my exercise club today, and am looking forward to it as I'm a bit down in the dumps this morning, and want to shake that feeling off.

Oldteen

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »

Pump that vac!!!

Bette

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

:rofl:
Bette x

changesbabe

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:03:34 PM »

Well inspired by this post I dug out an old rosemary Conley salsacise DVD. The section I did was only 17 mins long but someone better phone the paramedics!  OMG I am sooo unfit!  Anyway I have made a start .... and plan to continue as I would like to work up to jogging again. However small steps all the way as I am still not right from my perforated ear. Xxx

changesbabe

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

A handstand mrs p that's impressive!  ;D

Oldteen

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »

I like swimming too but don't go so often now that I've discovered aerobics, resistance training and Zumba. (LOVE Zumba!) I find those exercises give me energy, whereas swimming is draining and I want to go to sleep afterwards.

Oldteen

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »

By the way, since starting exercising I'm no lighter but my waist is smaller and tighter, I think my spare tyre has deflated a bit; my tummy is slightly flatter and I feel less bloated and heavy in that area and my legs are thinner. Typical! My legs weren't big in the first place.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2