Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sorry bit of a crap thread here lol but need advice please  (Read 9591 times)

elfie

sorry bit of a crap thread here lol but need advice please
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »

ive been on a codiene based pain killer for years, and yes they do help with my various athuritus probs. but they have a very unfortunate side effect. bad constipation. gets so bad i dont go for a week at a time. yer i know bad, so it came to ahead where last week i was taken to hospital by ambulance. i collapsed at home,in so much pain, worse than labour pains. well after loads of blood tests. copious amounts of fluid put in me via drip, an x-ray showed i was badly *backed up* so the hospitals version of DYNO ROD was applied. well the relief was instant. but i was in alot of pain afterwards, internal bruising. so i didnt sleep properly for a few days.just napped really.
couldnt eat other than a banana twice a day just didnt want to eat. all in all i lost a stone in weight.
went to the docs on monday he gave me some powders to take twice a day. also some liquid meds i had to take, well so far they have worked once, im feeling bloated again :( so im on pure orange juice loads of it. curries drinking water all the time. other than dyno-rod again. (and i did look at the WD40 with longing as well ) lol any ideas pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.
my last *deposit* weighed 4lb !!!!! thats alot trust me.

CLKD

Re: sorry bit of a crap thread here lol but need advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:34:48 PM »

Your gut and bowel have been emptied furiously.  So will feel bruised.  Be kind to you!  You probably wont' need to 'go' for at least a week but will fill with wind.  I use Actimel as a bowel regulator.  If I don't drink 2-3 pots daily my bowel spasm stops working.  Regular walking and swimming can help the bowel.  As can eating little and often.

Curries are a myth!  Plenty of liquids, soups should be taken; stews with vegies; butter 'does it' for some people.  Onions 'do it' for me  ::).  Did the Hospital not give you a diet sheet, otherwise as your GP to refer you to a dietician. 
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

amandria

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »

Awww you poor luvvie, i panic and make my self feel worse when im constipated, nasty thing to have, try and invest in a good juicing machine hun and make your own juice, apple and carrott are absolutly lush.. also, liqurice... and... always have with you at all times, a bottle of mineral water, take sips all through the day, and just get loads of liquids in you hun, i would cut out bananas and dont eat to many eggs coz these things just bung you up more, some fantastic advice on here hun, im so glad i found this site, what about oil of primrose tablets ? they are good, i also find that a slice of fresh lemon in hot water, really helps to, just clears you out.. i would recomend having this every morning.. and honey to.. maybe a spoon full of honey a day.. i use manuka, it is fantastic lol... hope you feel better soon xx

Ghiro

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »

and All Bran

I was given Movicol after anal surgery - one thing the consultant was dead against was All Bran - he said that it acts like concrete in the bowel.

It may work for you Mrs P - just thought i would pass on the advice i was given at the time.

Bette

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 09:07:22 AM »

It's so difficult as everyone seems to need a different regime. After many years of constipation (and IBS) I'm now ok on Fybogel, porridge, at least 2 slices of wholemeal toast and a good amount of veggies. Bananas suit me well. "Irritable Bowel Solutions" by Prof. John Hunter has a very good chapter on constipation and explains that it's a case of finding the right type (or combination) of laxatives - bulk-forming (e.g. Fybogel), osmotic (e.g. Lactolose) and stimiulant (e.g. senna). When you're on a constipation-causing medication, it's unlikely that diet alone will do the trick.
Bette x
If you want a thing done well, get a couple of old broads to do it. Bette Davis.

melanie61

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »

I take two dessertspoons of ground linseeds in a glass of water.A bit unpleasant to take but I just neck it.Keeps me very regular when nothing else I have tried has ever worked.
Linseeds are also a good food to take,they regulate hormones and also help with regulating blood sugars.
Melanie x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »

It's a bummer ain't it !
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

Jenny50

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »

One of the good things about this meno madness is that my IBS has cleared up a lot.  My all time record (in case you're interested) is 9 days after I read a certain well-known lady doctor saying that no-one with a healthy diet should ever use laxatives.  My diet was very healthy but when things began to slow down when my period was due I would use a gentle laxative to help things along.  I had a trip to hospital in an ambulance on holiday abroad because of bunging up too!  I felt that when my womb swelled up just before a period, which was always heavy, that something would block the normal transit as I just didn't get the urge to go.  I'd get severe pain, bloating and wind (charming).  No-one would take any notice of my idea though so I just dosed myself up with a laxative if I could feel things slowing down.  I had surgery because of it too but no-one seemed bothered to find the reason (I had a tear repaired) . I managed to control it myself eventually but the last 2 years have been great and I'm sure it's why I've lost nearly a stone in weight and I've got a flat tummy for the first time ever.  We're obviously all very different.

Jenny X

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

I am postmeno as some ladies on here know
I go from going 3/5 times a day with the fetal acid burning my fanny and bum chum
To normal every day or other day
To abso bunged up had this the other week and i pushed so hard it was like giving birth
I had to sorry bit graphic here but I had to put a glove on and break the stool off (thats not good)
With one final push I released the rest but it wasnt that hard or knobbly!
I take Ducolax if I go more than 2 days so on the 3rd night i take a pill it works cramps yes but not bad ones
i also find and I know you can get them at home Donnetab pills they help with the spasaming and take the gas away
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jenny50

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »

That sounds awful, Suzi.  The things that go on in the privacy of our own homes, eh?  Off topic, but I hope your job's going OK after all the changes.

Jenny X

elfie

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »

It's a bummer ain't it !
must admit i did LOL at this comment
im on dhydracodiene 2 twice a day, topped up with paracetomols. and take 20mg of amytriptlyn  (sp?) got athruritus in my back/hip/shoulder/knee. and with out them im in agony. tried others but they didnt suit me at all.also been on them for about 8 years now so probally addicted now. but when i spoke to my doc about them being addictive, he said do u get high on them, er nope. are u taking more than your doseage. er nope. so no probs. i actully mananged to *go* this morning. ok not much but was a start  :banana:
and once i was in the loo for over an hour, jeeze i had given birth in a shorter time, i had expected it to come out crying and needing a feed.!!!!
 thanks for your suggestions ladies :)

elfie

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »

Well I am amazed at your SOH in the face of all that elfie.
have to laugh or id be in tears alot of the time. ive always tried to see the funny side of whats wrong with me. should of heard me when i had to have an *internal scan* i had shaved my legs lol and was so nervous i was just waffling on to the lady technician. she was cracking up. i could see she was impressed  ;D
and i always make a point of wearing crazy socks when i go for any treatment. well got to keep your feet warm dont u lol

Jenny50

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »

Love your sense of humour, Elfie.  We'll just have to keep on smiling and coping with whatever life dishes us up - good (plenty of that please) and bad.

Jenny X

Hyacinth

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »

Having had probs with my bowel movements all my life (I used to hold it for up to a week at a time when I was a kid - not sure why) I can sympathize with the enormous stool problem.

Just a warning tho - I ended up having a rectal prolapse last Xmas and it was pure agony.  Try not to let your stools get backed up - don't wait - take something and go every day even if it's only a bit.

My endocrinologist gave me the best advice of all - she said yes, fibre is good but only if you make sure you drink LOTS of water with it otherwise you get the cement effect.  And LOTS of water is at least 2 litres - it's not easy to drink it but it really works!
Still with his eyes on the world, Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt
for Pooh's paw.

Suzi Q

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »

That sounds awful, Suzi.  The things that go on in the privacy of our own homes, eh?  Off topic, but I hope your job's going OK after all the changes.

Jenny X

No still shite hate it but its a job
Im only working Thursday this week I LIED said i was working elsewhere
Next week Tue Wed and Thur pure F hell still MOney but when My coz comes in April thats it no more finito
Pages: [1] 2