Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: The MM Recipe Exchange  (Read 240467 times)

Greyhoundgal

Re: The MM Recipe Exchange
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Friday night recipe....

Come out of beauty salon after massage, feeling wonderful.
Drive to fish and chip shop
Pick up 2 portions of cod and chips

Simples... ;D ;D

gilaray

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »

Root vegetable soup tonight.
Carrots, swede, celery, onion, leeks, turnip. Chopped up + veg stock in the oven on a low light for 3 hrs. Served with a dollop of yoghurt and crusty bread
Im not a veggie but I do get sick and tired of meat, meat, meat

Meggie

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »

TARTE TATIN

Pastry
320g/11oz Plain Flour
225g/8oz ice cold Butter
110g/4oz Icing Sugar
3 Egg Yolks

Filling
6 Cox or 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8-12 wedges
Quarter of a Lemon
110g/4oz Butter
110g/4oz Caster Sugar

1) Preheat oven to 250C/500F/Gas 9
2) Make Pastry:-  In food processor, mix flour, butter and icing sugar until they resemble breadcrumbs.  Add egg yolks and 'pulse' until mix comes together in a dough.
3) Remove dough from bowl and divide into two pieces.  Wrap in cling-film and put into freezer to chill for at least an hour.
4) Filling:- Place apple wedges in a bowl, squeeze lemon juice over them and toss gently.
5) Sprinkle 85g/3oz of the sugar in heavy-bottomed pan and place on the hob over medium heat, turning the pan frequently and making sure sugar does not burn.  Allow sugar to caramelise a little and become a pale golden brown, then remove from heat and arrange drained apple pieces in one layer over bottom of the pan.
6) Place the pan in the oven and bake until apples have softened a bit and started to release some of their juice - about 10 mins.
7) Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining sugar and dot the butter on top.  Remove pastry from freezer and using coarse side of a cheese grater, grate the pastry with long steady strokes over the apples until it forms an even layer at least 2.5cm / 1 inch thick. DO NOT PRESS DOWN.  Return pan to oven, turn heat down to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and bake until pastry is golden brown - about 20 mins.  Remove from oven and leave to rest for 2 minutes.
8) Take heatproof serving dish that is generously larger than the pan on all sides and place over pan.  Protecting your hands with a dry folded tea-towel and holding the dish and pan firmly together, quickly and carefully flip the pan and the dish so that the pan is on top.  Tap pan sharply a few times all round with wooden-spoon, then lift off.  The tart should be left on the serving dish with apple on top.
9) Serve warm with double cream, creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream.

Seems a long winded faff but is well worth it -
Note: as the pastry is frozen in 2 parts, do half quantity of the filling, use one portion of pastry and save the 2nd portion for another day - we do this as this recipe feeds 8-10 people.

Bon Appetite !

san

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

Umm hungry now  :D

I love watching Nigel Slater. His cooking is simple and always looks yummy  8)

Gobe

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »

Boiled Fruit Cake Update

I sent my brother Honeyb's recipe for the above and he also tweaked it and soaked his raisins in rum first and said it was yummy!

melis

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

Thank you Meggie will have to give that a try....  :)

Stella_al

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »

LD - mmmmmmm that pot salad with olive oil (drop of vinegar) is fresh n scrummy.......... so why does Mr. Walnut prefer oven chips  ???  >:( >:(  ;D

Stella_al

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »

Touch wood all well LD , thanks for asking . Not very big bump at the mo (think there's too much room for them there already  ;D ;D ;D )

Think I need to cook some more scrummy stuff  ;)

Problem I have (and getting VERY lazy now  ::) ::) ::) ) but it just the washing up of my slow cooker / casserole pot etc...

Have taken to cooking my chicken breasts etc in those oven bags.....koftes on a layer of greaseproof......crumbles direct in tin foil containers......

Anyone got any tips on cleaning the things?

Anyone cooked a casserole in one of those big tin foil containers (or am I really showing up my laziness now....... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\  ;D )

Forgot to mention - no dishwasher !

bramble

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »

Coconut and lime loaf

100 g (4 oz)   Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
100 g (4 oz)   soft tub margarine
100 g (4 oz)   caster sugar
25 g (1 oz)   desiccated coconut
1   lime, grated rind only
2 medium   eggs
1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp)   milk
Topping:   
2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbsp)   caster sugar
1   lime, juice only
   coconut for sprinkling

Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 1 lb. loaf tin.
Place all the cake ingredients, in a bowl and beat well until light and fluffy.
Spoon into the tin and smooth level and bake for about 45 minutes until risen golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
Mix together the sugar and lime juice. Turn the cake out and stand on a plate. Slowly spoon the lime mixture over the cake allowing to soak in. Sprinkle the cake with coconut.

Heron

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »

Can anyone recommend a really tasty quorn recipe? We are trying to eat less red meat - but love our 'comfort food' mince dishes!
Thanks ladies

melis

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »

Hi Sandlism.. I have a bag of quorn mince in freezer so I will be intrested to see if there is something tasty to make with it ..Ive done the usual ..speg bol and cottage pie ..personally I like tasty but not hot (no chilli please) ..

Have you tried Mrs P's lentil roast recipe ? Very tasty ..Im not vegetarian but I like to have a change from meat now and then..

libby1

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 05:56:03 PM »

Quorn is the only thing I can't eat, makes me vomit  :o

Libby
x

Heron

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »

Thanks Mrs P. Bound to find one on there to try! S

melis

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »

Thanks Mrs P..

Im so glad quorn doesnt have that effect on me Libby..  :D

Taz2

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »

It makes my husband sick but so do ordinary mushrooms.

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21