Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Multiple Intramural Fibroids - Partial Hysterectomy  (Read 1051 times)

EmmaS1980

• First Flush
Multiple Intramural Fibroids - Partial Hysterectomy
« on: August 04, 2022, 09:14:33 PM »

Hello Ladies,

I’m 41 and was diagnosed with 4 large fibroids, 3 of which are intramural. I had a Hysteroscopy last Saturday under a GA. They discovered a polyp which they removed and took a biopsy.

My fibroids have caused awful heavy bleeding, large clots and my periods last longer - upto 14 days, with only a 14 day break. Within the last couple of months alone, I believe they have grown, as I feel and look 6 months pregnant. It’s seriously getting me down. I can’t wear jeans or trousers anymore. I can’t exercise or go swimming. I am petite/slim aside from this huge belly sticking out.

Has anyone had a partial hysterectomy to resolve the fibroids issue at all? Did your stomach eventually go down to normal size again post op?

A partial hysterectomy, along with a UAE was discussed with my gynaecologist, though I’m going to pursue the partial hysterectomy as I have never wanted kids and I can’t bare having these fibroids any longer.

I’m not interested in the hormonal / medication route, i,e, Mirena, combined Tranexamic/Mefenamic Acid, Northeristerone etc - due to side effects - which I don’t want to be taking for a good decade before I hit menopause.

I’m just curious if anyone knows if this pregnancy belly , due to fibroids, disappears (eventually)post hysterectomy ?

Thanks for your time all, most appreciated.

Emma x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Multiple Intramural Fibroids - Partial Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »

Welcome.  Peri menopause can cause lots of symptoms.  Hopefully someone will be along with advice about the advice from the Consultant. 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:05:03 AM »

Hi,yep,this described me exactly,had a vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries,afterwards it felt like a new lease of life,it was truly wonderful  :)

Amazing grace

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »

Hi, I had exactly the same problem as you, my fibriods grew huge had relentless bleeding, huge stomach and horrible pressure on my bowels and bladder, I delayed having a hysterectomy for 2 years, but eventually had one at 43, I retained the ovaries to avoid surgical menopause I was going to have the coil but gynaecologist said that wasn't an option and neither was an ablation at that point I'm 49 now and don't regret it and relieved to be free of the endless bleeding, pain and what looked like a 5 month pregnant belly.

EmmaS1980

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 04:41:15 PM »

Hi,yep,this described me exactly,had a vaginal hysterectomy leaving the ovaries,afterwards it felt like a new lease of life,it was truly wonderful  :)

Hi Jaypo,

Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate it.

So, after you had the hysterectomy, your belly went back to being flat again? Did it take long to do so post op? I’m imagining that, once they remove your uterus, the massive belly just disappears, aside from bit of swelling due to the operation?

So good to hear it was a positive experience for you, because right now, my huge belly is really getting me down 🙁

EmmaS1980

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 04:45:49 PM »

Hi, I had exactly the same problem as you, my fibriods grew huge had relentless bleeding, huge stomach and horrible pressure on my bowels and bladder, I delayed having a hysterectomy for 2 years, but eventually had one at 43, I retained the ovaries to avoid surgical menopause I was going to have the coil but gynaecologist said that wasn't an option and neither was an ablation at that point I'm 49 now and don't regret it and relieved to be free of the endless bleeding, pain and what looked like a 5 month pregnant belly.

Hi Amazing Grace,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it.

It’s so good to hear of your positive outcome, post op.

Did you notice an immediate difference soon after the op, of your belly reducing down to normal size again? I’m so fed up and really down of having what looks like a 6 month pregnancy belly 🙁

Amazing grace

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »

Hi, my stomach was still swollen for a few weeks post op, that was due mostly due to the air they fill you with to separate the organs and general swelling from the op itself, by 6 weeks my stomach was back to its normal size, once I was able to get back to doing physical things my stomach was nice and flat, the hardest part post op for me was not being able to much x

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 05:23:06 PM »

Like grace said,it took a few weeks but then felt fabulous. Make sure you don't have a food intolerance,it could be that also that can cause bloat