Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Regular meds as you get older.  (Read 11591 times)

Shadyglade

Re: Regular meds as you get older.
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »

You can't argue with that.  Essential meds are just that.

How many people are put on, for example, blood pressure meds when they only come into the lower end of the scale and are not high risk. This is done just to lower the surgery's average. This can result in older patients taking multiple unnecessary pills resulting in side effects that make them feel unwell.

I'm not explaining it very well. You will all have to buy the book ;D

Winterose

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »

According to one of the worlds leading heart surgeons it's mostly genetic ( Sunday Time 2 weeks ago) Some people with very high ch have smooth arteries and some who have very low levels can have damaged ones.  So from that we can conclude the statins which statistically will only buy you at most a month extra in life are unlikely to help. It's stated they are only of use to people who have had a heart attack but suspect those improved health statistics come from embracing a healthier life style after a scare . The surgeon said that giving up smoking and excercising would stop arteries from stiffening .

The highest concentration of cholesterol is found in the brain and it needs large amounts to function properly. Statins cross the brain blood barrier and enter brain cells and reduces the brains ability to make the cholesterol it needs. I for one as I age wouldn't want to mess with anything that might affect my cognitive functions .

Shadyglade

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »

According to one of the worlds leading heart surgeons it's mostly genetic ( Sunday Time 2 weeks ago) Some people with very high ch have smooth arteries and some who have very low levels can have damaged ones.  So from that we can conclude the statins which statistically will only buy you at most a month extra in life are unlikely to help. It's stated they are only of use to people who have had a heart attack but suspect those improved health statistics come from embracing a healthier life style after a scare . The surgeon said that giving up smoking and excercising would stop arteries from stiffening .

The highest concentration of cholesterol is found in the brain and it needs large amounts to function properly. Statins cross the brain blood barrier and enter brain cells and reduces the brains ability to make the cholesterol it needs. I for one as I age wouldn't want to mess with anything that might affect my cognitive functions .

It's funny you should say that.

My FILs memory went down hill fast when he start taking statins.

Kathleen

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »

Hello Ladies.

About a year ago my elderly neighbour had a heart problem following a bout of the flu. She was offered various tests  but was selective about the ones she agreed to.  She was also prescribed Statins but when the first lot made her feel unwell she told her GP that she would change her diet instead.  At a recent appointment with her cardiologist she discovered that her heart health has improved and she has now been discharged from his care. She is slim, eats real food and walks a lot every day and believes this is why her heart has improved from one third capacity to two thirds in less than a year. All this at eighty, gives us all hope I think ladies.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Shadyglade

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »

That's really encouraging Kathleen. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]