Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Breast Lump  (Read 2972 times)

Mikkie

Breast Lump
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »

Merry Christmas to everyone!  I am trying to have a nice time however I discovered a small hard breast lump on the 20th Dec.  I attended the GP who was a young locum who didn't say much about it but referred me to the breast clinic.  My appointment is not until the 16th January due to Christmas and New Year,  :( and I am in a state of panic.  I'm not sure how I will get through the next 3 weeks.  I have been Dr Googling in an attempt to reassure myself however I end up more worried. 

Mikkie

Re: Breast Lump
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »

Thank you for your replies ladies, they are much appreciated.  Also thank you to Agatha C for the private message, I did want to reply however I appear to be unable to reply to private messages. 

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

No worries.
Take some comfort from the fact that most ladies on this forum have a health related worry or concern that feels and indeed is very real to them.
And if you feel that 16th Jan is too long to wait, at least try and accelerate the process.
Keep us posted. It helps enormously to share and offload.
In the meantime, try not to torture yourself because it makes you feel a whole lot worse (I know!!!).
Lots of love to you xxx

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »

Merry Christmas to everyone!  I am trying to have a nice time however I discovered a small hard breast lump on the 20th Dec.  I attended the GP who was a young locum who didn't say much about it but referred me to the breast clinic.  My appointment is not until the 16th January due to Christmas and New Year,  :( and I am in a state of panic.  I'm not sure how I will get through the next 3 weeks.  I have been Dr Googling in an attempt to reassure myself however I end up more worried.
I really hope that it turns out to be good news. Try to think positive (even though I know that it is so difficult). i was recalled after my first mammogram and it was hard waiting just a couple of days.  Have you had a mammogram in the past year?

arc73

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »

My understanding is that any definite lump now results in a referral to the breast clinic if you have a decent GP

I went through this in the summer, one stop clinic with ultrasound, mammogram and biopsy. They were 99% sure on the day it was a fibroid and the biopsy results a week later confirmed. It's almost impossible not to worry and it's an even more rubbish time of year to deal with it, but the majority of these things are benign. At least you have a baseline set of results too, so any changes can be noted in the future x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:14:36 PM »

We don't have a breast clinic.  The GP refers to the appropriate consultant who then proceeds with appropriate treatment.   ......  If possible, suggest that you have a quick appt., that is they ring you if someone fails to show or cancels? 

I found mine when in the bath  ::).  Still here ;-).

Smokey1234

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »

Hi Mikki

Just wishing you well.  I just had a standard mammogram a few months ago and although I hadn't any lumps or bumps I still worried myself sick until seven days later I got the letter with the all clear on it. Even as I opened the letter I was saying to myself please let it be ok.

Xxxx

Mikkie

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 10:10:32 AM »

Just a quick update to let you know that 2 days ago I saw I private breast consultant as I knew I couldn't wait another month.  I am aware that this option isn't available to everyone and it was quite a stretch for me.  He felt the lump and guaranteed me that it was nothing serious and didn't even feel that I needed a mammogram, which was good because that would have been massively expensive.  I feel so relieved and now able to enjoy our New Year celebrations as my husband and I have had such a difficult year.  Thank you everyone for your support, it meant a great deal to me. :)

AgathaC

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »

Very pleased to hear that Mikkie xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »

That's good news.  Often lumps can be felt as 'normal' or 'sinister' ............ did he suggest the correct way to examine your breasts?

My lump wasn't found on mammogram but in the bath whilst washing.  Clinically it was 'non sinister'. 

Smokey1234

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »

I'm so pleased to hear your ok 👍

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

Just a quick update to let you know that 2 days ago I saw I private breast consultant as I knew I couldn't wait another month.  I am aware that this option isn't available to everyone and it was quite a stretch for me.  He felt the lump and guaranteed me that it was nothing serious and didn't even feel that I needed a mammogram, which was good because that would have been massively expensive.  I feel so relieved and now able to enjoy our New Year celebrations as my husband and I have had such a difficult year.  Thank you everyone for your support, it meant a great deal to me. :)
  Really good to hear that! Perhaps a private consultation is an option to consider if I ever find a lump and don't want the stress of waiting for weeks for the scan. I wonder what indicated to him that it was nothing to worry about.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »

Palpation.  Some lumps are 'typical'.  Others can be sinister.  However, it is wise to consider removal at your leisure: my Surgeon told me that no healthy breast has a lump.  Mine, when sent to histology, had 'changes' when excised, which could have been slow growing but we will never know. 

Masititis can come and go and is intensely painful.  Mum developed breast cysts if she ate shell-fish, within 4-5 weeks.  So she now avoids it.  They even have a chart on the kitchen wall to alert staff of her allergy.   Each was removed and looked at.  Her lump that was cancerous was found on mammogram at 65, it was obvious on film. 

Maybe discuss with a Surgeon - take a list of concerns with you.  Might be wise to have a follow-up in 4-6 months to put your mind at rest.