Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Migraine and work  (Read 1895 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Migraine and work
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »

Can someone be put 'on the sick' because they suffer migraines so are unable to fulfil their work duties?  This person has sudden debilitating attacks which means he cannot go to work on a regular basis although he still drives  :-\

The appropriate Dept. won't tick the box which says he can get disability payments ...... they are prevaricating.

Do men suffer migraine onset as they age? i.e. could it be hormonally linked?

CLKD

Re: Migraine and work
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »

There are a few UK support groups .......

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »

CLKD, that is a very interesting question and I have often wondered myself.  There are a whole host of jobs I would not be able to do because of migraines for safety reasons although I do have them under control now.

sparkle is right, let's not forget men get migraines too and my partner was plagued with them for years - they started in his teens.  I think his were probably hormonal and now he has hit middle age, his testosterone levels will be significantly lower which is probably why he rarely gets them now.  His trigger (but not the underlying cause) is eating chocolate and cheese on the same day so he closely monitors his diet now. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »

Many years ago I worked with a girl whose known triggers were the same: chocolate and cheese: sometimes she had to give in and knew that she would suffer.

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »

My husband at the age of 54 developed hemaplegic migraines , evil migraines mimic strokes.

They have since reduced a lot  as his were partly due to being very B12 deficient, but they had him on a stroke wars for 24 hours.

Our middle daughter also has the same migraines, was once collapsed and being sick in Oxford street London in the gutters , NO ONE helped her other than a homeless guy , ambulance came.

She's a teacher and is definitely stress induced , off to London science museum today with 200 children 😨😨😨.

Off topic , but my daughter has to " work hard" to try and minimise her hemaplgic migraines which unfortunately are getting worse , roll on school holidays....teachers work EXTREMELY hard above and beyond the call of duty. 

daisysareyellow

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »

Can someone be put 'on the sick' because they suffer migraines so are unable to fulfil their work duties?  This person has sudden debilitating attacks which means he cannot go to work on a regular basis although he still drives  :-\

The appropriate Dept. won't tick the box which says he can get disability payments ...... they are prevaricating.

Do men suffer migraine onset as they age? i.e. could it be hormonally linked?

Migraines can definitely be hormonal and they are the most difficult to treat. Mine came on around Day 1 and mid cycle every month. I was bedridden for 8 hours of each 36 hour migraine. It is caused by the drop in estrogen. Now that I am in perimenopause, I cannot track my migraines. I was on Topamax for 5 years which I took twice daily and that was an absolute miracle drug for me. Now I take Relpax as needed. I started my own waxing/tanning business due to the brutality of my migraines and not being able to do anything physical when I had a migraine. That way I could work around the migraine attacks. Once I started on the Topamax and got my life back, I got an Early Learning qualification and now work as a Nanny. There are many, many treatments for migraines now. My father was on Epilim which is another epilepsy drug like Topamax. My mother was on Beta Blockers. Mum was another menstrual migraineur, but hers stopped as soon as she reached menopause. Dad had various triggers and continued his migraines for his entire life.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:50:06 AM »

:thankyou: for your input.  Food for thought.