Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Gabapentin  (Read 3282 times)

sallyclark

Gabapentin
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone else been prescribed Gabapentin for the menopause? I can't have HRT because my mum had breast cancer whilst taking it and previously experienced DVT. I am concerned about the side affects, the possible addiction to it and the fact that I can't drink on it...not that I'm a big drinker but I do enjoy the odd glass.  I would appreciate hearing from others who have taken it and their experiences.
Many thanks
Sally

Ju Ju

Re: Gabapentin
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »

Have you a strong family history of breast cancer, apart from your Mum? My sister died from breast cancer, but as I do not have any other close family members who have had breast cancer, I was told by the breast cancer consultant and gynaecologist that I was not at any more risk than anyone else. I didn't start hurt until much later because of my sister and then only because I had got to a point when I felt quality was more important than quantity of life. Just a thought.

bramble

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »

My friend took gabapentin for a long time for a recurring back problem - and she drank like a fish! Also had no problems stopping it. Hope that helps.

Bramble

bramble

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »

If you are trying it for flushes, another friend had good success with Clonidine. What symptoms are you hoping to alleviate?

Bramble

ellie

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:53 PM »

Hi Sally, I take pregabalin, a very similar drug to gabapentin,  I have never heard of it used for menapause before.   I thought both drugs were used to treat nerve pain and seizures, also people with shingles.   I take mine for nerve damage.  I have been on gabapentin  in the past. I had no problem in stopping it........biggest problem I have found is weight gain 👎🏻

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:19 PM »

I was prescribed it for nerve pain but found the side effects were worse than the pain and could not get up the dosage required to have proper impact on nerve pain. I also had to come off it very very slowly because it can cause serious withdrawal symptoms especially anxiety and insomnia.  OF course everyone is different and I know someone who has taken it for years with no side effects for pain. I have never heard of it being prescribed for meno symptoms as has been said its usually clonadine that is prescribed for hot flushes and anxiety in meno.