News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena  (Read 3475 times)

Basil

Mirena
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »

Hi everyone,

I started HRT in November.  Initially Prempack-C but got very bad headaches when on the progestogen part.  I was switched to Elleste Duet and although headaches not as bad initially I have just had a very bad two day headache while near the end of the progestogen part.  When I started the Elleste Duet my doctor said that if I still got headaches with them, she would like to try the intrauterine system, Mirena.  She said the progestogen is localized in the womb so no progestogen side effects !  Has anyone else had a good or bad experience with Mirena ?

Many thanks for any advice :-)

Taz2

Re: Mirena
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

Hi Basil - I'm not sure that she's right that you wouldn't experience side effects with the Mirena but not everyone does.  I've got friends who have done well on it and others who have had headaches, depression and irritability. You can look up the side effects via Google to give yourself a better idea or you can also use the search button (blue bar top left of the page) to see what's already been discussed on here.

Taz x  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Basil - Mirena is well worth trying - I had one for 4 years and found it OK - all bleeding stopped within a few weeks (it is great not to have to put up with withdrawal bleeds) and I was able use as little or as much oestrogen I needed alongside.  There are many plusses to the Mirena but some women do still get some side effects - I believe most side effects tend to wear off after a few weeks so like everything it is a matter of persevering. DG x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »

I've had 2 Mirena coils and when I had the original one fitted in 1998, I asked if it would have any side effects and was told it would not because most of the progesterone stays in the womb.  However, I always had swollen, painful breasts and I never felt particularly good on it.  When I stopped producing my own hormones, I developed migraines which (in my case) are only caused by synthetic progesterone so that would suggest that quite a bit gets into your overall system.

That said, many women get on very well with the Mirena but I think much depends on whether or not you are sensitive or intolerant to synthetic progesterone.  Like most things, you won't know until you try it and it has to be worth a go. 

Basil

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies.  I shall chat some more with me GP :-)