Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Menopause and Vit D Supplementation - quoted from Medscape (not entire article)  (Read 3370 times)

Trey

From Medscape Medical News
New Guideline on Vitamin D and Postmenopausal Health

January 27, 2012 — A European Menopause and Andropause Society (EMAS) position statement on the role of vitamin D after menopause notes that the recommended daily allowance is 600 IU/day, or 800 IU/day for those 71 years of age or older. The new guidelines were published in the January issue of Maturitas.

Specific summary recommendations include the following:

Clinicians should recognize that vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency are widespread, affecting up to 70% of European populations (including those living in sunny regions).
    Healthy postmenopausal women may achieve adequate serum concentrations of vitamin D through either sun exposure (15 minutes per day, 3 - 4 times a week) or supplementation with 800 to 1000 IU/day.
    To achieve adequate levels, women with low serum 25(OH)D may need doses ranging from 4000 to 10,000 IU/day.
    Specific tailored doses of vitamin D supplements are needed for women with morbid obesity, both before and after gastrointestinal bypass surgery, malabsorption syndromes, and/or hepatic or renal diseases.
    Adequate amounts of vitamin D and specific bone-conserving therapies are indicated for women with vitamin D deficiency, osteoporosis, and/or previous incidental fractures. If there are no associated risk factors for low serum vitamin D levels, doses should be from 800 to 1200 IU/day.

Hurdity

Good reason to get out more...!
Hurdity x  :)

wombat62

There seems to be more and more reports about the importance of Vit D.  I know a lot of northern hemisphere diseases are linked to a lack of Vit D because of the lack of sunlight including MS and bowel cancer.  There was an article in the Daily Mail (yes, I still read it online!) saying couples having problems conceiving should go on a sunshine holiday (relaxing and sunshine).  When my periods were drying up I would get one once a year in the summer and this one I've just had has been in the Summer and I'd been out in the sun a lot more than usual the month before - coincidence?

Here in Oz they are quite hot about testing for Vit D because everyone slip, slap, slops a bit too much sometimes and there is a serious Vit D deficiency here.  I had a blood test after the winter and mine was very low so the doc put me on supplements.

Plus people tend to go out less or sit in the sun as they get older and together with the lack of oestrogen could explain why there are so many frail old ladies.

A much over looked vitamin it would seem.

oldsheep

Has anyone managed to get their GP to prescribe Vit D (not calcichew)? I asked at the chemist and got firstly blank looks, then a lecture on how taking Vit D in too high doses was "dangerous". From the pharmacist, not the counter staff.
Message hasn't sunk in here yet. Can you even get reasonable doses of it unbundled from calcium?
My ex vet (one of my cats needed vit D in his final years) told me there's no vit D in sunlight in the UK except between March and October. Winter sunlight's not on the right spectrum.
So we need a sunny summer  ::)

grumpy2008

When I was young, it was normal to take cod liver oil capsules over the winter months (I was a strange child and one of the few who actually liked them!). They contain high levels of vitamins A & D  :).

A useful link: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-vitamin-D-foods.php
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:48:06 PM by grumpy2008 »

Keepgoing

The one you want to take is vitamin d3 the sunshine vitamin, I have been taking it for about 4 years as my levels were low and low levels also cause a depressed mood. Living in Scotland I think mine are always gonna be low lol...hope this helps x

Hurdity

Wow this really is a zombie thread - from 2012  :o !!!!

In UK reputable regular vitamin D supplements as such are D3 unless it's something weird like some of the wacky H & B mushroom stuff. It's sometimes referred to as "sunshine vitamin D".

Hurdity x

Winterose

get the sublingual ones that spray under tongue make sure its from cholecalciferol ( lanolin ) .