Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: MRI scan on monday  (Read 4580 times)

countrybumpkin

MRI scan on monday
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »

I have had a very bad shoulder for months, offered a steroid injection in case it might help! but decided to have the scan first - not sure which is the bigger terror the needle or the scan.  I have so far due to a lot of spinal problems etc had 14 mri scans in past 20 years and get more and more terrified as I am so claustrophobic.

I get diazepam from my GP but its a bit hit and miss taking enough to help whilst still being able to walk ;D plus if the scan is delayed or brought forward then the tablets either haven't worked yet or are wearing off ( this has happened a few times).

I keep my eyes shut before I go in until I come out but wondered if anyone had any other tips for such a nervous nelly?

Cazikins

Re: MRI scan on monday
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »

Hi Countrybumpkin
I had an MRI scan done on my neck a while back & although I'm not that claustrophobic I do get panicky if I get close up to peoples faces (which doesn't happen with an MRI I know, so don't know why I even mentioned it really ???).

Anyway like you I do keep my eyes shut, this last time I decided to spend my time inside the "donut" doing my 7 times table which I have always been poor at, & also trying to remember the phonetic alphabet. It's amazing how easy it is to forget what the Q stands for  ;D

It doesn't stop the banging noise but it does help me to focus on something else & help the time speed up a bit.

Try not to think about what is going outside the donut, you are very safe & if it has to be done then shoulders back, deep breath & give yourself s big pat on the back when it's all over.

Let us know how you get on - & good luck.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:18:18 PM »

I got diazapam before my MRI scan a few years back. I was expected back at work afterwards. I said I couldn't manage. I was still dopey several hours later. I took tablet about an hour before my appointment.

Friend took a CD with her & asked for it to be played. Helped her heaps. You'd have to find out if they could allow that for you countrybumpkin.

ellie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:47:35 PM »

They usually play music, but sometimes forget to turn it on !
Last time I went for an MRI  scan, they had a new machine......SO much better. It was bigger and quieter......You may be lucky !  :)

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »

Agree it's claustrophobic, and I am usually not. I focused both times on a little chip in the paint just above my head.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »

Have found out its a new wide bore machine for people up to 39st so it is much bigger and they say they do the scans much faster than the old scanners as well.

Never thought of reciting the times tables or phonetic alphabet, good idea just as long as I don't do it aloud!

I once memorised a childs rhyme book about a mouse but was so worried about suddenly spouting forth during the scan that I daren't recite it to myself.  Knowing they can see and hear you is good but not if you embarrass yourself!

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

The hardest bit for me is keeping perfectly still, I always want to jiggle my legs probably because I know I can't!!

S x

;D ;D The hardest bit for me is not swallowing or coughing as I do both these when I get nervous.
I'm the same at the dentist, I dribble like a baby & it gets very messy till the hoover gets shoved in my mouth.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:05:02 PM »

I have had a few head and neck scans and have just had to swallow due to seriously dry mouth/throat due to terror but this has never caused a problem as i asked about it, plus my eyelids tend to flicker as well but again it wasn't a problem they said.

I tend to have a bit of a wriggle in between the noise bits ;D

carol100

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »

Hi
I went to ENT last week and they are sending me for MRI scan. I have never had one before so excuse my ignorance but do they still put your whole body in or would it just be the head goes in?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »

Having had head mri's in the past , in the normal nhs scanner then most of your body is in the scanner, your lower legs/feet are out and it can get very cold so wear socks ;D  They also tend to put a plastic cage over your head as well for this type of scan so close your eyes before they shut it if you think this would worry you.

Your GP can give you a few diazepam tablets to calm you if you feel you need them.

carol100

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:16 PM »

Thank you for replying. I think diazepham would be a good idea.
Thanks

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »

I have just collected 5-2mg diazepam tablets for Monday.  I will take 3 of them ,6mg, 30 mins before the scan and hopefully the effect will be at its stongest during the scan.  Just so long as they don't have a long delay ::) which has happened in the past!