Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Missed bleed this month  (Read 1650 times)

hayjude

Missed bleed this month
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »

Hi,  and Thanks to anyone who can help.

Im peri , 49 and been on HRT 9 months. Taking oestrogel 2-3 pumps and ultrogeston 200mgs days 15-26 ( vaginally).
I did not have a bleed after stopping the last lot of progesterone, nothing .
Normally after 2-3 days I have a 3-4 day bleed. I usually feel a bit "periody" too. But this time nothing.

Is this OK, should I be concerned? Does it mean my uterus lining is building up too much?

Any advice appreciated.

Galadriel

Re: Missed bleed this month
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »

Hi hayjude,
Cool name by the way.
I have this happen to me too. I'm peri and 49, been on HRT for 7 months. Some months I have a bleed and some I don't even feel like one might happen. The longest I've gone without a bleed is three cycles.

Weird isn't it?

Galadriel x

hayjude

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:51:14 AM »

Thanks Galadriel,
Yes it is weird... Glad to hear I'm not alone with this one!
I am a bit worried though. I dont understand how after 9 months of everything the same I can suddenly miss a bleed.
I think I would have to be at the DOCS if it had been three months!

Still hoping for any other suggestions from the experts Please

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »

Hi hayjude

What were your periods doing before you went onto HRT - were they sporadic and for how long? Had you missed periods?

The thing is the HRT won't actually stop your own cycle so you carry on ovulating etc as before. As you get further into peri-menopause your cycle gets weaker and therefore you will be producing less of your own oestrogen so the lining does not build up so much and the progestogen in the utrogestan is sufficient to oppose the dose of oestrogen. Of course it may continue to fluctuate and some months you could still have a bleed.

Also if you are using Utrogestan vaginally - far more of the progesterone is delivered to the uterus than the equivalent amount taken orally - so that could also be another explanation - it is doing its job really well!

If your lining was building up too much you would definitely get some bleeding after the withdrawal of the progesterone and also if it got too thick  you could get random breakthrough bleeding as the lining spontaneously tries to shed - rather than no bleed at all.

Hurdity x

hayjude

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for answering.

Before HRT my periods were regular but I have always had a longer cycle 32-38 days. In the two years before HRT as I became symptomatic of peri I have had a shortening of cycle and sometimes had a period after 26-30 days. I have not missed any periods untill now

I thought that HRT did stop my natural cycle, like being on the pill does, so thanks for explaining that.

So If Im hearing you correctly, missing a bleed is nothing to worry about but breakthrough bleeding is a concern .

Thanks again.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »

Yes that's it hayjude!  :)

Hurdity x