Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Unsatisfactory blood tests  (Read 2236 times)

shrosphirelass

Unsatisfactory blood tests
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »

Looking for reassurance really. I recently had lots of blood teats as I have been losing weight and had stomach problems but these are much improved since I started HRT. I rang for the results today, they were back last week but forgot as felt well! Anyway, I was told that the kidney function test was unsatisfactory and needs to be repeated. Also, issues with the liver function one. I've always been border line (over 10 years) with the liver one and have had follow up tests that were all ok previously. Never had problem with kidneys and no symptoms as far as I'm aware relating to this. All the other tests came back ok.

Anyway, my anxiety levels rocketed especially as the firsts appointment was 2 weeks away.

Does anyone know anything about Dr's proceedures? If it was anything serious surely they would have contacted me rather than relying on me ringing up. Also, would they make me wait for so long for an appointment. I know the Dr's is really stretched and has issues re appts and staffing.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Unsatisfactory blood tests
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »

If the blood tests were abnormal to any great degree this would have been flagged by the Dept to the GP who would have contacted you.  Some levels may be raised/low due to what you have eaten, how hydrated you were on the day they bloods were taken or an incomplete sample.

Why not ask your Practice Nurse?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »

Can you phone your surgery & ask the receptionist to speak to a dr for you?my surgery do this for me if I'm worried about test results or if you can access them online,sometimes tells you a bit more but you're right,if it was anything untoward,I'm sure they would've contacted you

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »

Thanks both. I spoke to the senior nurse practitioner and she said that the liver function was only slightly elevated and the other that needs repeating is the sodium one and again its not really high. She said they are often related to alcahol consumption. I don't drink much as I get headaches, but maybe it doesn't suit me, though the odd glass of wine does help me to relax!

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »

There!! Nothing to worry about 😊 the odd glass is fine unless your body really can't handle it. I love my glass at the weekends 🍷😆

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:37 AM »

Hi Shropshirelass,

Do you have Fatty Liver.  If so, even if it is not caused by alcohol, it's best to keep consumption as low as possible.

Also kidney function deteriorates for all of us, as we get older, but of course it's not a straight line or the same rate, for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:56:22 AM by Shadyglade »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »

I do tend to have a glass of wine if I'm feeling anxious. Had a couple last night worrying about the test results! The nurse said that certain people have a low tolerance to alcahol and I'm small and 7 12 so maybe I'm one of them. Hot choloclate for me tonight!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »

I'll join you in the hot chocolate, well not literally 'in' it ..... with cream?

I would never turn to alcohol  :D after an incident over 20 years ago  ;D and that was after half a glass of red .....

Sodium results can vary too, daily.  MinL was told to cut her salt intake and it almost killed her  :( when the Consultant saw her results, he couldn't understand why she was still upright! 

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »

That's exactly right. Too much salt is bad but so is too little.. My late dad was told to increase his salt intake, by his GP.  This was queried by the two nurses in the family but it was correct.  People who take diuretic are at risk of peeing out too much salt, which was the case with my Dad.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 12:22:22 PM »

They didn't advise me to do anything about salt, just avoid / reduce alcohol!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 09:19:07 PM »

Lack of salt is characterised by bad cramping in calves, feet, hands ..........

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »

If you have low blood pressure  you need more salt than someone with high BP , or less if BP tends to be on the high side
It annoys me when people in general are told not to have too much salt, just like iron being pushed on to people, not everyone is the same
I had a liver spike a few years ago and got a letter within a couple of days of seeing the Dr after blood tests,i got into a right panic, and rang my Dr to ask why as it seemed too quick,
As it turned out he was a bit worried as i have Haemochromatosis, [iron overload] which affects the liver, but when i went to the hospital the consultant i saw said everyone has a liver spike at some time,it depends a lot on what you have eaten etc,i don;t drink alcohol either so wasn;t worried about that,
My Dr was only being careful,and yes if it was urgent or very important they would have rung you,to go in
I am only small too

Tc

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 03:34:22 PM »

This might sound weird but when people drink lots and lots of water say with drugs like ecstasy the salt levels dilute in the body. It's why athletes drink rehydration drinks which replace this rather than just plain water. Just a thought.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »

Demonised - is *that* your problem  :D