Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Had cold but still can’t smell or taste  (Read 4475 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Had cold but still can’t smell or taste
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 06:06:53 PM »

It may take the brain receptors a few days to realise that you are sniffing smells ;-).

How do U feel overall?

Blot

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:38:34 PM »

I feel fine.

Tbh from what I’ve read it might be a long haul to get back to normal with regard to smells, whatever the cause.

Blot

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 07:05:03 AM »

Thanks. I’ve just started taking zinc supplements to see if that might help. I’ll try anything tbh  :)

shrosphirelass

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 06:33:29 PM »

Hi Blot, it could very well have been covid. My son recently had it, all the classic symptoms including loss of smell and taste. He did several lateral flow tests, which were all negative. He did a PCR test which was negative, but he felt he must have covid and needed proof for work so he did another PCR test which second time around was positive. His girlfriend then came down with it a few days later. It seems that there can be false negatives. His taste and smell is gradually coming back, so hopefully yours will soon.

Blot

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 04:13:36 PM »

Thanks. It may well have been covid, who knows now. I tried to get another pcr through work (I work for the nhs) and wasn’t allowed due to the time frame and also via the gov website. Suppose I could have lied to get one but by that time I wouldn’t have been infectious anyway. My work were happy for me to go straight back even with the smell and taste loss  ???.
I would have thought that repeated lateral flow tests would have picked up something though, but I know they aren’t that reliable.
I can smell random things if I put them right up under my nose so hopefully things will improve.

And CLKD I can taste marmite!!!

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »

They have to be taken correctly otherwise they don't pick up the virus.  Right down the throat and deep into the nasal passages, yuk.

Of course, the test kits come from China  ::)

Marmite on toast then ?

Jasmine20

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »

A friend of mine who is double vaxxed got Covid last month.

Test and Trace told her it's now presenting as either a heavy cold or severe hay fever-like symptoms.

The day she later started to feel ill, she did a lateral flow test which was negative, visited her elderly and vulnerable Dad (thinking she was fine) but by that evening she had a sore throat and runny nose. The Zoe app prompted her to get a PCR test but the daily lateral flow tests she did were all negative until about 5 days into the illness.

How confusing is that?

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »

Very.  We can carry any virus and pass it on.  Without having symptoms.  She may not have passed it on.   3 days to catch a cold, 3 to suffer, 3 to pass it on. 

Friends who were double jabbed earlier this year were really ill recently: probably a Summer cold but worse.  Tests didn't show.  Hopefully your friend will recover after 3-5 days, as with a cold. 

Jenna

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »

A friend of mine who is double vaxxed got Covid last month.

Test and Trace told her it's now presenting as either a heavy cold or severe hay fever-like symptoms.

The day she later started to feel ill, she did a lateral flow test which was negative, visited her elderly and vulnerable Dad (thinking she was fine) but by that evening she had a sore throat and runny nose. The Zoe app prompted her to get a PCR test but the daily lateral flow tests she did were all negative until about 5 days into the illness.

How confusing is that?

This explains when the different tests should be used  - basically lateral flow tests are for when you don't have symptoms.

PCR tests are for when you do have symptoms.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/get-tested-for-coronavirus/

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 08:16:30 AM »

:thankyou:

Jasmine20

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2021, 03:31:52 PM »

Thanks Jenna.

It's just worrying how unreliable the lateral flow tests seem to be. I'm not sure how much to rely on them when I'm around my vulnerable Mum.

My friend's Dad isolated for 10 days and was fine thankfully!

shrosphirelass

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2021, 04:19:36 PM »

Jasmine20 I don't tnink they are reliable at all. Both my sons and their girlfriends all tested negative several times using lateral flow tests, despite going on to have positive PCR tests. They only seemed to detect the virus when they were really ill, ie in the midst of it, with a high viral load.
Pages: 1 [2]