Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Navigating hrt  (Read 306 times)

JessWare

• First Flush
Navigating hrt
« on: May 19, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been searching this forum and found it really useful to keep going back to my gp. I'm 43 and have been having symptoms since 40, mainly fatigue and low libido the first year.

Here's my story to date. I had been going to the gp for persistent fatigue, low libido, night sweat, hot flushes for a few months and finally I got some support. She suggested black cohosh or hrt and I opted for hrt. I was prescribed the evorel sequin patch last July for 3 months and got horrible migraines in week 2 so my gp said to just stop them after the three months. I had a blood test to check my levels on day 3  which came back normal so my gp said that's that.

Since then I've developed symptoms of migraines and anxiety that I haven't had before, on top of the previous symptoms. My gp said to try beta blockers for the migraines as in her eyes we should only treat migraines or perimenopause. So took the beta blockers. This was around 9 weeks ago.
3 weeks ago I woke up with vertigo and thought I was having a stroke, I couldn't get out of bed. Eventually it settled and I made my way to A&E like 111 said to. The doctor I saw there said I shouldn't have been prescribed beta blockers as I was too fit and it gave me bradycardia and that was the cause of the vertigo (I'm not sure that's right as it wasn't lightheadedness, it was pure vertigo). I was sent home and told to wean off them and speak to my gp.
I spoke to my Gp, a new doctor at my surgery, and she didn't think it was beta blockers but also said that hrt could help with migraines so she recommended to continue the beta blocker wean and prescribed me a new hrt regime. I'm on oestradol gel pump (1 pump) and utrogestan (100mg orally). I've been on holiday the last two weeks so I'm not sure if it's the holiday or the hrt or both but I've not had aura or migraine since starting it.
However, I have had the worst time getting to sleep after taking utrogestan. I'm on day 16 of taking it. I decided to take 100mg for the 25 days although my gp prescribed 200mg for 14 nights (after the migraines on week 2 on the patch I believe I'm progesterone sensitive).

So that's my story to date  ;D

I've decided to post up as I've read a couple posts on here about others having terrible time sleeping on utrogestan and wondered if any solutions were found?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Navigating hrt
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 10:04:13 AM »

Well done on pushing your point.   :welcomemm:  It shouldn't be a navigating procedure but we sometimes have to advocate for ourselves.  The 1st GP was out of order and obviously had no interest or knowledge in HRT. 

At least your 2nd GP seems to know a little more.  As for betablockas, they won't cause vertigo!  This condition is nasty and caused by an inner ear imbalance.  I woke one C.mas morning and didn't dare move and know when I open my eyes that it's there.  Fortunately I haven't suffered for 10 years.

I was prescribed Propranolol to ease early morning cortisol surges = intense anxiety.  They saved my Life.  I am fortunate in being able to sleep for England, in fact I never want to get out of bed.  Once up and at it, I'm OK  ::)

Migraines may increase during peri anyway so some forms of HRT may well trigger them.

Let us know how you get on.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  There are also dedicated menopause clinics which have waiting lists both in the private sector and NHS.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 12:40:42 PM »

Utrogestan is bad for my sleep too. I take it at 11 am now so it's mostly worn off by bedtime. I can get to sleep now but I always sleep for less time when I'm on it. You could try a normal sequi routine and see how you are, it might have been the type of progestogen in evorel which is a synthetic one rather than progesterone itself. And it could be it was from oestrogen deficiency. You could try Utrogestan vaginally in case it helps (it doesn't for me). I use long cycle sequi now which gives me more time off it.

JessWare

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 06:14:13 PM »

Thank you for the welcome and the advice! Propanalol is what I had been prescribed for migraines (120mg per day) and when I missed a day due my prescription not being available I had the worst anxiety (which is also new to me) so it definitely was doing something.
I have taken the utrogestan in the morning after putting on my gel and I have fallen asleep pretty well the last two nights which I'm really happy about!
I have been back to work and no migraines yet so I'm very hopeful this may be the right combo for me. I'm still feeling anxious but am hoping that will settle in time.
Sheila thank you for your advice, I'm still new and not sure what you mean by a sequi routine - can you clarify that for me please? 🤔 😄