Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sunbathing?  (Read 2734 times)

blossom60

Sunbathing?
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »

This is an interesting article, for all who like to sunbathe but are worried about the dangers!!

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/308202.php

Dancinggirl

Re: Sunbathing?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »

It is now widely accepted that Vitamin D is essential and those of us who get little or no sun exposure are at risk of being deficient in this vital vitamin so really need to either supplement or at least ensure we get enough sun.  I do think it is about balance though, as with all things a little is good but too much can be very bad.  The type of skin we have, where we live and other lifestyle issues all have an important part to play. 
HRT can bring many health benefits which are rarely highlighted and the fear of cancer related to HRT and sun exposure has made us more worried about the dangers than the benefits. The press are greatly responsible for this but health professionals are also at fault for not keeping fully informed and advising us accordingly.
They want us work for longer, to remain healthier in the long term and the advise is simply to eat well and exercise regularly but the advice is sadly lacking in many areas.
I know a remarkable lady who is nearly 90 and she takes a winter holiday in the sun every year and is still on a small amount of HRT - she has not shrunk with bones loss, her mind is still sharp and she still works - yes she has a good lifestyle, enjoys a glass of wine and swims most days but her life has been far from easy, so she is my inspiration.
It is about balance, a little of everything is usually good - too much of any one thing is not. DG x

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »

I love to hear about older women with active lifestyles. It gives me so much hope!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »

Good to see there are studies validating what the NHS has been recommending for some time - stop the cover up and get out in that sunshine. Obviously if you go off abroad to a hot country and your skin isn't used to it - that's the time to be careful - but from February onwards - when the sun is out - find a sheltered spot and soak up those rays when you can - even those with fair skins will come to no harm. As long as fair-skinned women put sun-screen on in the height of summer and in the heat of the day - the rest of the time - if you build up a tan this will also be protective against damage. I expose myself from mid February until October - vest tops and short shorts are the order of the day - and who cares what we look like when it's our health at stake?!

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Hurdity x :)