Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Christmas Cake  (Read 13932 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Christmas Cake
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »

How lovely.  Maybe take a photo this year to put with the childhood one, with notes ?  ;) social history after all.

Dorothy

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »

The cake usually gets a photo either on its own or with family/Christmas decorations!  I take photos of all the good stuff that happens through the year and print the best pics and put them in an album, around one album per year.  It's a real mood booster to look through past years as all the good stuff is recorded with no 'negatives'.

But I like the idea of putting a new photo with the childhood one - maybe I can do a print from the old photo and put them side by side in this year's album.

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 08:01:02 PM »

Put names, dates of birth etc. on the backs of the photos too, because within a generation, that history will be lost.

Dorothy

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »

No next generation to pass it on to sadly.  Most of the history is on my dad's side, I am the youngest in my generation and none of us had any children - which makes it daft me taking so many photos really, but I get huge pleasure from it and when I pop off it will be someone else's problem deciding what to do with all the photo albums!  I did wonder about grouping them by area in case local history societies would be interested.  All my pics are captioned and dated.

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 05:11:11 PM »

Certainly keeping them in 'areas' will be interesting to someone.  It's surprising how many people collect postcards, others collect photos for social history: i.e. hair styles and dress design …….

Is there a young family in the Church/local area that would like the decorations with your history?  To make their own plus  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 10:27:56 PM »

I still use them for my cake now!  But I'll probably pass on the 'sentimental value' stuff to my Godchildren as they are the closest thing to family in the next generation. 

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »

ahhh - lovely idea.  With a history.  My God people were chosen in a hurry in Hospital  >:( ……. 'cos Matron didn't want an un-Christened baby dying on her Ward  :-X

Dorothy

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »

Mine are children of close friends and I see them regularly, some every couple of weeks and others several times a year.

We seem to have gone off topic a bit!  I'm hoping to make my cake this weekend - it's easy enough to find time to make the cake, but no so easy to be around for it to bake afterwards...hoping Saturday evening might be my moment!

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 10:55:38 PM »

Could it be cooked over night?  I had a recipe many years ago which took 5 hours to cook  ::) …….. DH set the alarm clock for what seemed like the middle of the night  ;D but oh, how lovely to wake to baking smells  :-*
Pages: 1 2 [3]