Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Paying for meningitis vaccine  (Read 3383 times)

Taz2

Paying for meningitis vaccine
« on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

The advice to all first year students to have the ACWY vaccine against meningitis has an NHS cut off date of twenty five. My son starts uni next week at the grand old age of 26 and so isn't able to have the free vaccine. We've spent an hour or so trawling the internet to find a local private clinic to do this following advice from both his GP and the Meningitis Helpline. Looking on the uni websites none of them seem to mention that if you are going into Halls for the first time then you do need this vaccination. It costs £75 so I can see that the NHS had to have a cut off age but I think there should definitely be advice to first-time students older than this to pay for their own jab.

Taz x

honeybun

Re: Paying for meningitis vaccine
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »

Ouch, that's expensive.

The thing we have found over the university years is the total lack of information. Perhaps it was worse for me with my two having gone straight from school where the letters were never ending.

However with something as important as this you would think there would be some information for new students whatever their age.

I take it he is getting done Taz ?

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »

Yes with a lot of persuading! He just thought that as the cut off age is 25 then anyone over that age wouldn't need it but, obviously, living in Halls in close contact with others all of the time you do. The bug doesn't think "he's over 25 won't bother to infect him then" does it!

If you're well travelled then there's a chance you will have been vaccinated anyway but it's not necessary for travel to America or Canada which is where he's spent most of his travelling time.

Hope the side effects aren't too bad - he's not even started getting stuff ready yet and he goes on Monday but, if you remember, this is the same one who left his packing for a year in Canada until half ten the night before so I shouldn't be surprised!  ;D

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »

Glad he is getting it done. One of my sons friends had meningitis in her first year at uni and she was in halls. Fortunately she was fine after a spell in hospital. Unfortunately my son came down with a tummy bug at the same time and of course I was worried sick. Even had the doctor out to him. ::)

Have you got him sorted with the practical stuff Taz. From cutlery to loo rolls and everything in between.  ;D

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »

I've been very restrained at getting him sorted although there is a growing pile of things in the spare room. It's difficult to know what will fit into the car once his flat screen tv, gaming computer and guitar(s) have been stowed away - they are obviously the most important things.  :D  I've just paid for his TV licence and I have a feeling it will be me footing the bill for the vaccine too - small price to pay though I reckon.  We'll do the supermarket shop once we get there and find out just how much cupboard and fridge/freezer space he has been allocated. Takes me back to when the first one went, although that was fifteen years ago, as I keep being reminded!

I'll just be glad when Monday's here at last!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:27:47 PM »

Is the TV licence not included. Heck it was in my daughters halls which I thought were ridiculously expensive.

How many is he sharing with. Is it mixed, the girls generally keep the kitchen cleaner than the boys do  :D

You will find the house quiet after he has gone, but it's so good that he is now doing what he wants.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »

No every student has to get their own tv licence unless they don't have a tv and never watch live tv on their computer. It's very complicated nowadays. They try to catch you out every which way! He has an en-suite room but shares the kitchen with two others - all mature students. It costs £5,100 a year for the room. Not his first choice - that was much cheaper - but this was what he was allocated.

Yes the house will be different without him here but, as you say, it's great that he has now found his feet so to speak and is motivated to do this. I'm really proud of him actually admitting that he threw it all away at eighteen. Watching him trudge off on those dark winter mornings (he's a summer person not like me) to the bus stop in the village before then getting the train into the next town and then the final half hour walk to the college for his Access Course last year I knew that he must be keen!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

Ok, I spoke to my daughter and I've been sent back to say I got it wrong. TV license was not included. As she never took a TV just a computer we never thought of it but we should.
The tale I was told....was.

One girl had a TV which they all watched. ....well...one night there was a knock on the door and my daughter let the TV license man in. At that point the TV that was moved from her flat mates room to the living area was not in evidence. They were told they were breaking the law. Man was shown out and the never let anyone vaguely official back in the flat again.
They got letters that they ignored....and that was that.

Best he has it sorted properly which I would have done if I'd known. My daughter never watches TV just streams things on her computer and broadband was included.

She paid £570 per month. Not sure how that compares ....just seemed a lot.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »

He pays around £135 a week for his room I think.

If you live stream on the computer you have to have a licence but if you only watch on demand services then that's ok. http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »

Well they never let " the man in again "  ;D

Better safe than sorry though.
She was in a huge tower block along with hundreds of others. When we did the maths just for her floor it was a money making machine.
It was not her happiest year and I'm very glad it was not her third year....and certainly not her honours year.
It was a learning curve to say the least.....but your son is a lot older so a totally different situation.

I'm sure he will love it.

Honeybun
X