Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie on Prempak c  (Read 5131 times)

kayeb

Newbie on Prempak c
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »

Hi there, this is my first post, but I have been lurking for a couple of years. Lots of really useful info thanks! Having had really heavy periods up to a couple of years ago, I was quite enjoying the menopause (periods almost nothing, even mood). However the hot flushes were getting a bit much this spring & faced with a hot summer I bit the bullet & went to see my GP in June. As it was 5 months since my last period I asked for the 3 month bleed HRT but the Dr said he wasn't aware of that & I'd have to have the monthly bleed & prescribed Prempak C .625 saying it was the lowest possible dose. Good initial results, flushes stopped v quickly, but first two periods horrendous, the worse I'd ever had, so bad I dialled 111 as it felt like I was haemorrhaging, it did diminish of course. If it had been in the week I would have had to ring in sick to work with the flooding & pain. I was having to get up every 2 hours in the night despite a super plus tampon & max pads.   My dr didnt make much of it but I really can't face any more of these heavy periods & have stopped taking them.  I'm hoping when the flushes return they are not too bad. Taking Menopace Plus in the meantime as it did work for quite a while up to this Spring. Has anyone else had really heavy bleeds with this hrt then had a better result with another preparation? Thanks for making a really good web site & forum.

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie on Prempak c
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »

My bleeds weren't too heavy on sequential HRT but they were very painful.  I used to get terrible period pains before I went on the Pill and when I came off the Pill to start a family the pains came back with vengeance. After my first baby the period pains were a lot better.
I suspect, as you had problems before, the HRT has aggravated your problem.  You may have fibroids?
You could have a Mirena fitted and then use oestrogen in gel or patch form - this would eventually result in no bleeds at all - you tend to get some break through bleeding for the first few weeks but this gradually gets less and less and there shouldn't be any pain.  The Mirena is often used for women who suffer with heavy bleeds and fibroids  - also less progesterone is absorbed systemically so you tend to get fewer side effects.
I've tried phytooestrogens and herbs etc. and nothing really worked - waste of money.
I hope that helps.  Dg x

kayeb

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »

Thanks DG for sharing that. I suspect I do have a fibroid or something, 3 or 4 years ago I was given a pelvic exam & told there was nothing, but I understand they sometimes only show up on a scan (my mum & sister had fibroids). The doc was to fit me a Mirena at that time but me being childless & a wuss we had to abandon halfway through the fitting! Fortunately the heavy periods burnt themselves out up to taking HRT. I'm going to see how I am when the hrt is out of my system (not sure hiw long that will take) & may go to see another doc friend who does private work. I can talk to him & if he thinks I'm wrong he will tell me & I would accept his advice & recomendation as he's very experienced. Thanks for the input again x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »

The HRT hormones will decline very quickly once you stop taking it - many report the flushes etc returning within a few days.
You can opt to have the Mirena fitted under anaesthetic which may be wise if you haven't had children and if you are post meno.  If your menopause symptoms are making you unwell then it is worth pursuing an HRT treatment. You don't say how old you are but if you are below 50 then HRT is recommended to protect your heart and bones - if you are over 50 then even 5 years of HRT will also bring protection.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen.
Good luck.  DG x

kayeb

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:46 AM »

Thanks very much for the advice. I was aware Mirenas can be fitted under anasthetic & if it came to it I would push for that, never known pain like what is was when the doc was trying to fit it (but then I've never had children). I turned 50 in May, I could cope with daytime flushes by wearing cardigans, but the night time ones certainly disturbed mine & my husband's sleep. I managed to find a 3 tog duvet at the local Dunelm shop which helped. Over the last 18 months hot flushes have come for a few weeks & then gone again, after stopping the HRt do far so good, but it just a bit more tired, is only one week so I am sure they will return. It's a shame doctors only have 10 mins to fully assess, diagnose & prescribe. I am a debt adviser at a charity & it's like someone coming in & saying they're in debt so I tell them to go bankrupt & it comes out later they're a homeowner with equity so they end up becoming homeless. Thanks for all the advice, looking at others' exoeruences is helpful as we can draw comparisons & reuse we are not alone. x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »

Hi kayeb

:welcomemm:

Just to say so sorry to hear you are yet another victim of an ill-informed GP.

Prempak C is the old-fashioned form pof HRT - that was originally produced years ago and happens to be the cheapest. It is also made from horse urine and contains a mix of oestrogens including some that are not the same as human oestrogens. Although it is the weakest form of this type of HRT, many women seem to find it stronger than the other types and you will see from the menu on the left that it is classed as medium dose.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

If you don't want to try the Mirena, you might be much better off initially starting with a lower dose HRT, and the one that seems to be better tolerated is Femsoton (listed as low dose) - the oestrogen in this is estradiol - bio-identical with our own, and the progestogen is closest to natural progesterone of all the tablet HRTs.

I wouldn't have thought that the heavy bleeding could have been caused by fibroids in just two months but I may be wrong. Oestrogen can and does stimulate their growth but I wouldn't have thought your periods would have stopped so easily and your periods been so light if you had fibroids of significant size. Very small fibroids do not usually cause heavy bleeding ( I have one that was deteced by scan but causes no problems as yet).

Re your doc you could either ask fo a different product and/or say you are worried by the heavy bleeding in case it is fibroids - your doc should automatically refer you if your periods are that heavy on HRT having been very light or non-existent. At least this would put your mind at rest as to t he cause.

Hurdity x

kayeb

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »

That is absolutely brilliant advice, thank you for taking the trouble to give such a detailed reply. I had picked up from this web site that prempak was a medium not a low & was the cheapest. For goodness sake if it was a matter if cost I would happily pay a few extra pounds to get a better product.
Step one wait to see if the hot flushes come back & whether bearable.
Step two go back to docs but when I phone for an appointment I will ask for another who is more switched on with menopause

Thanks so much for the info again x