Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]

Author Topic: All things gardening  (Read 201266 times)

Songbird

Re: All things gardening
« Reply #825 on: April 21, 2024, 08:57:55 PM »

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove weeds from in between paving stones? Is there such a tool to save my poor back and knees?  :o
Don't really want to use weedkiller 🤔

Minusminnie

« Reply #826 on: April 22, 2024, 07:22:13 AM »

You can get long handled weeding tools for paving.

My husband lifted, cleaned and relayed our paving slabs on a terrace.  On relaying he filled inbetween with a resin mix from the builders merchants that was brushed in with water.  That has stopped weeds coming up inbetween now and hopefully into the future.

I still use weedkiller around drive edges and have been advised by the hardware store to double up on the strongest weed killer they have.  Last year i must have done the weeds 3 times the stuff is so weak now.

There is always a flame thrower as well !!

Songbird

« Reply #827 on: April 22, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »

The long handled weeding tool, I reckon, is the perfect thing for me Minnie 👌. I'll check out Amazon for the one with good reviews 👍.
Not keen on using weedkiller because of the cockapoo 🐶 and a flame thrower in the hands of Songbird is a recipe for disaster  :rofl:
Thanks Minnie..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #828 on: April 22, 2024, 07:35:49 AM »

What happens to the rain = no run off?  Unless the fill is porous.

I love getting onto hands and knees getting rid .......... celandines are a problem here  >:( and I bought tansy years ago and it still pops up between the slabs even though the parent plant is long gone  ::)

Raining here.  Again  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #829 on: April 22, 2024, 08:55:18 AM »

The long handled thingies are good. I never use weedkiller as it can have such a detrimental effect on our wildlife and the environment. We also have multiple hedgehogs passing through each night and they find lots of insects hiding amongst even the smallest weeds. I'm not a tidy gardener though  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #830 on: April 22, 2024, 09:22:16 AM »

However: on night camera we can see Earth worms on the patio which the hedgehogs walk by  ;D.  I have untidy areas, more to do with not being able to deal with them all each year.  Hellebores leaves have taken over.  Again so it's a bit green out there  :-\. And slugs go into our compost to do their work away from the beans etc..

Minusminnie

« Reply #831 on: April 22, 2024, 11:36:45 AM »

What happens to the rain = no run off?  Unless the fill is porous.

I love getting onto hands and knees getting rid .......... celandines are a problem here  >:( and I bought tansy years ago and it still pops up between the slabs even though the parent plant is long gone  ::)

Raining here.  Again  :-\
He did 2 areas in the garden each with a different type of fill the second is more porous on advice from the building merchant.
We try to future proof as much as possible nowadays to cut out some of the repetitive work!

I kill weeds around drive/parking area it then also avoids any conflict with my neighbour.  One neighbour beyond was out weeding the road kerb last year where nothing is now being done. 

Hope you find a happy solution Songbird.

CLKD

« Reply #832 on: April 22, 2024, 12:48:22 PM »

Certainly 1 has to apply for Planning Permission/Building Regs. to alter a driveway, which means that proper advice is given regarding run-off to avoid flooding.  Especially when people have paved over front gardens for parking.  I got rid of lawn 30 years ago, we put that black liner down B4 adding gravel, however I wouldn't bother with the liner if we had other areas to do  ::) because it still requires weeding  :D

I did try camomile - the pricest mistake I've made thus far  ::) and I didn't like the smell  ;D

DH does touch that weed that climbs everywhere with a killer ......... it has lovely white flowers if it gets away  :-\.  Most other 'weeds' are either tolerated or pulled for the compost.  There is 1 here that is prolific and has white flowers which the hover flies love.  Off to do a search .......
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]