Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Storing Photographs  (Read 2342 times)

katsclaws

Storing Photographs
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

I'm sorting through our photographs and have already thrown a lot away . Everything since 2006 is on a PC or phone. We haven't had a holiday since 2006 apart from visits to family and travel for work so no holiday photos since 2006. My husband has  photos from working in Asia but I will not touch those. I now have 120 wallets of 36 photos so 4000 and probably 1000 loose photos plus all the school photos. A lot of other photos are already in albums. I'm going to go through and hopefully save 6 out of 36 from each wallet.

I've been looking at photo albums online and most seem to be the slip in type with plastic sleeves which I don't really like. I've found cardboard photo boxes which store about 700 photos. We also have a scanner.

My only excuse for not doing this sooner is working full time for 40 years and I am now retired.

How do people on this forum store their photos. ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Storing Photographs
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »

Albums. 

I've 'inherited' the family archives  >:(  ::) - those that are the most important to me are the ones of my pets.  Also the ones that relate to the gardening records that Dad made: every night, making notes which are now a) social history and b) an eye into the past weather fluctuations.

My pet albums are ready to grab in case of fire.  Others are all over the house - drawers, wardrobe, attic  :D.  I have no one to leave them too.

I also have large framed bl/wh photos of Gt Grandparents so must get details written on the back.  As much info as possible because photos are social history and those who do fashion/design Courses etc. can use them as records.

katsclaws

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »

Hello Stella Jane, thank you for your reply.
I love what your MIL did with photos of your father-in-laws summer jacket. He must have really loved that jacket. I love old family photos too.

katsclaws

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »

Hello CLKD, thank you for your reply.
The photos of our dogs are very precious. Our chocolate labrador has such a sweet caring nature towards other dogs and especially our Belgian/ Dutch Shepherd when he was a puppy.
How wonderful to have your dad's gardening records.
I love looking at photos of my mum in gorgeous suits in the late forties as well as her wedding photos. My Mother-in-Law had a very grand wedding but the photos are with one of my brothers-in-law.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »

I have my paternal Grandparents' birth and death certificates and a 'photo of them I think, taken on their engagement day.  Grandma was 21 that day.  When I find a suitable frame I will put all their Certificates in it around that bl/wh photo and if I can find it, one of their Grave.  Must Get on with IT!!!

Mum made photo albums for her kids so must find those too.  Somewhere here, amongst the rubbish. 

JaneinPen

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »

Hi Katsclaws. If you google self adhesive photograph albums you can get them in sets of three and they are the ones you lift the see through sheet up and put your photographs on each page. They are more like the old kind of albums. I use them but otherwise I store mine on my iPad and pay for extra storage to be able to do it. My grandchildren love looking through them whereas the albums are in a cupboard and don't get brought out often

katsclaws

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »

Hello CLKD, I think you have to be in the right mood to sort photos. My husband is away for a few days so I've been able to put all the photos in a six drawer chest of drawers.

katsclaws

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

Hello Stellajane, I'm trying to declutter because I know how hard it was to clear my in-laws house. My late MIL kept everything. I would like to make albums for my son and daughter but will probably end up scanning them. 

katsclaws

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »

Thanks Herdwick, I have some self adhevise albums that I've had for 40 years. I've just seen one that has 100 pages so may well buy that.

katsclaws

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »

I've found those self adhesive ones discolour badly with age, that's the only drawback.

Hello Stellajane, the self adhesive ones I've had for 40 years have discoloured at the edges. I have 4 new leather albums that I bought a few years ago that need sticky corners to attach the photos and these are the ones that I was going to give to my children but now I wonder if they would really want them. I still have my school photos. 

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »

My parents used this type of album. His photos dating back to the thirties are still really good but once you unpeel them they won't stick back down and my dad wrote all sorts of info on the back. I could put them into new albums but I love the fact that it was his hands that arranged them the way they are.

Taz x

JaneinPen

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »

My dad also did quite a few albums Taz2 and wrote captions. They are well over 40 years old some of them but still in good order. So lovely to have them. Interestingly both of our daughters keep albums of photographs they who've so that they can pass them on and the grandchildren love them

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »

My sons are really keen on looking through the photos now - not so much when they were younger though. My own are partly in albums but, mostly, under the spare bed in a huge cardboard box  ;D

Taz x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »

My mom had a huge bag full of old photos.
When we had to clear their house out, after they'd both died, me and my brothers took what we wanted to keep, and I gave all the photos to my brother, whom I was talking to obviously at that time. Sadly, we don't talk anymore, so I don't get to see the photos. Maybe one day.
Sad really, all our childhood memories are in that bundle of photos. But still, some are still in my memory.....🤷‍♀️