Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 86030 times)

dulciana

Re: Noise
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »

Apples, celery, chompy chewy sweets and anything with a crunch should be banned from offices - and anywhere else I can't escape them!!!  I'm pretty sure I have a mild form of misophonia (means I react badly to sounds that most people wouldn't even notice).  I want to inflict pain on people eating noisy foods (or eating noisily in general) - and I'm surrounded at work by a never-ending stream of apple-munchers and celery-chompers, liberally interspaced by those crunching anything they can shove in their mouths with noises like a pig with a lump of coke  >:( >:(  I'm going to kill someone before home-time today.  The woman across the desk from me doesn't chomp or slurp when she eats (unlike the guy who sits behind me), but grazes all day on anything with a crunch - it's driving me insane.  Yesterday, I had to leave the floor or I would have said something I'd have regretted, and all the poor woman was doing was eating a small bag of almonds!!  I really don't like wearing earphones, but I might have to resort to it today as I seem to be more sensitive than usual - and 'usual' is bad enough.

Hi Scampi - I've only just read your post two months after you wrote it, but it has struck a chord with me.  I've become really irritated by the sound of anyone swallowing near to me and that's usually my hubby, poor thing!  At least now I know I'm not the only one to be affected like this, as I was beginning to feel like a freak.   I've always had very sensitive hearing but this is ridiculous now.  However, I do feel reassured to read about your experiences and I certainly do sympathise/empathise!
Dulciana x 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2017, 09:08:57 PM »

Mine eats lots of noisy apple every day especially now when our trees are ready  >:(  ::)

Scampi

« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »

Hi Dulciana - have a Google for 'misophonia' - it's a real thing!  I too found it reassuring I wasn't alone (or going mad), but it really is something you have to develop coping strategies for - I don't think there's a 'cure' as such.  Sometimes I just have to put my earphones in and listen to music. 

My husband has a 'clicky' jaw - not helped by the HUGE mouthfuls he insists on taking  >:(  But at least when it's him annoying me I can tell him to belt up!!

CLKD

« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

What *is it* with men chomping ........ mine can't understand that it makes me quite queasy when he takes a large mouthful  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

Currently it's owners who allow their dogs to bark constantly.  Next door, next door to them; across the road there are 4  :o as well as a large dog that I have yet to identify.  Words will be said  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2018, 08:18:40 PM »

I am in the house. Double glazing.  Raditors tapping as they heat up: and I can STILL here a dog barking which lives 3 doors away  :diablo:  I swear to God ..........  :whip:

CLKD

« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2018, 02:37:03 PM »

Dogs still being a nuisance.  I spoke to the neighbour earlier, his had been barking for 2 hours - I thought that they were out but nope, the owner was lazing in the sunshine  >:(.  "She's having a barking session!" he told me.  Yep, I can hear, from inside.  "Nowt I can do about that!" - we will see,  :bang: - off to the Council next week !!!

Cars racing by at over 30mph.  In a school zone but there isn't a 20mph and the school is less than year old  :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:58:26 PM by CLKD »

Joaniepat

« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2018, 04:02:24 PM »

What an idiot! Don't these people realise that dogs are pack animals and need to be with the rest of their "pack"? It's inevitable they will bark or become distressed if left alone. I know some dogs can cope with solitude for a time, but obviously not the ones near you that are causing so much disturbance. The owners obviously don't give a damn about you, the dogs or anyone else within earshot. Talk about "I'm all right Jack"  ::) Do you think other neighbours will also lodge complaints with the Council?
JP x

Daisydot

« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

Bet he had his ruddy earphones in with music blaring while he was sunbathing,poor dog.poor CLKD too.

Shadyglade

« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »

Just spent, what should have been, a quiet afternoon in the garden, listening to my neighbour power washing her patio
:cuss:

CLKD

« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »

We had that last weekend.  The neighbour took 8 hours to do his  :-X

This particular dog barks whilst they are in sight of it  :-\ ........ runs round the house as though looking for someone, even when the owner was sitting in the garden.  It will get a good  :kick: ........

However, birds are singing - now that doesn't bother me a bit  :)

CLKD

« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »

Yesterday I read an article about a girl who is 'allergic' to noise.  It has a name which I need to look at again but it maybe explains why I find repeated noises annoying to the point that I want to  :cuss:

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2018, 04:17:01 PM »

CLKD, my OHs the same.
He can't tolarate noise either.
Wheather it be kids, dogs, music, and after a certain time at night,
well, our house can turn to a dramatic shade blue....lol
He just can't deal with it....

Jd x

CLKD

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2018, 09:50:13 PM »

I will have a look-see at the article again ...... of course, it's down stairs and I'm not  ::)

Quick search:

The term Selective Sound Sensitivity Syndrome has been championed by audiologist Marsha Johnson as a more accurate description of the symptoms experienced by many misophonia sufferers, but Misophonia UK understands that Dr Johnson now prefers to use the term misophonia as an official diagnosis.
FAQs - MISOPHONIA UK

The article concerns Juliette Wills who has issues with noise that she isn't able to control.  Even eating at a table with others can upset her equilibrium!  'The Daily Telegraph', Health Section, Monday 18th June.

Certainly it's noise that I am unable to control that upsets me the most: lawn mowers, barBQ smells/sounds, dogs barking when owners do nowt, speeding cars - it's 30mph behind us but drivers particularly locals! drive much faster.  Then even speed over the zebra crossing which is humped  :o
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:42:55 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »

It's getting me down  :'(.  Background music to adverts..   Introductory music to The 1 Show, Bargain Hunt etc. boring  :(

Neighbours are drilling, almost constantly all day ......... be glad when their build is finished.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20