Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 821717 times)

GOW

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »

I knew things /changes were going on with my mind and body as far back as 10 to 15 years ago.  I was having weekly periods for a while!  Got a couple of hormone level tests over the years but was always told they were normal - even the last one I got not long before or after my last ever period!  That was pretty much all the help or advice I got from doctors.

As well as the too frequent, then infrequent periods, I was flushing a lot and emotionally very up and down.  I think I also had some night sweats and insomnia.  Now my boobs are saggier and smaller and emptier, skin drier, I'm fatter and my waist more straight up and down, I have vaginal atrophy symptoms and generally over the last few years have just felt quite tired and old.  
The only benefit has been that i feel a bit calmer now PMT has gone and have saved money on pads and tampons!. Although i sepnt some on herbs now and again -  but was never sure if I was taking the right ones and didn't take them for long!  

yes, I do feel a bit cheated and disspointed that maybe it didn't have to have been that way.  However, will try to put the energy from that anger into getting on the RIGHT HRT for me now - before ti is definetly too late - and appreciate any help with that.

Thanks very much for the advice so far, "sisters" - will follow it and get back here again if I still need answers. x
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:01:42 PM by GOW »

Blair

« Reply #466 on: January 28, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »

Hi
was going to ask my question in a new thread but couldn't work out how ::)
Does anyone have any experience of Trisequens?
I'm currently taking Elleste Duet but it doesn't seem to be suiting me so my GP has suggested I try Trisequens. Does anyone know if it comes in different doses like other HRT? I know it's 3 different tablets etc, have looked it up online, but my prescription just says 'Trisequens Calendar Pack' and my GP wasn't sure (admitted he didn't know much about HRT ::)).
Any advice appreciated. I've still got a couple of weeks Elleste left first so hoping to find out other people's experiences of Trisequens before I take the plunge & change

Eddie

« Reply #467 on: January 28, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

Hi Blair. Welcome to the forum. I think this hrt is a new one, looking at the preparations here it is very similar to elleste duet, combining 1mg and 2mg then prog, why does elleste not suit you? Eddie. x

Blair

« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »

Hi Blair. Welcome to the forum. I think this hrt is a new one, looking at the preparations here it is very similar to elleste duet, combining 1mg and 2mg then prog, why does elleste not suit you? Eddie. x
Hi Eddie
thanks for the welcome & your reply :)
I'm getting a lot of bloating, tight legs (though not swollen) and headaches. I tolerated the 1mg ok but didn't get symptom relief so it was increased to 2mg nearly 3 months ago.
I'm really not sure about this Trisequens, hadn't heard of it before but my GP says they used to prescribe it a lot before the HRT scare.
I'm prone to headaches, used to get a lot before the meno kicked in so maybe it's something I'll have to put up with?
I would rather not take HRT at all, put up with hot flushes etc for a couple of years but was prescribed it following a shock diagnosis of osteoporosis (probably due to early meno) last year, aged 44yrs!

Eddie

« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »

Yes, You prob will benefit from it, have a look on the left green menu, HRT preparations, peri-menopause, when you scroll down you will see both types listed there, they have the same ingredients, not much point in changing i'd say, i also get bloating with elleste? But it does help other meno probs. Haven't heard of tight legs, i did get muscle spasms from my knees up years back, long before hrt. Eddie. x

Blair

« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »

Thanks Eddie :)
same dosage too. Don't know what to do, might try to get an appt with the female GP as she seems to deal with all things hrt related. I know what suits one person might not suit another. Trial & error I suppose.

Harrys-girl

« Reply #471 on: February 13, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »

This thread was very helpful when I was deciding whether to HRT or not, so I thought I would add my two-penneth to the debate. I am now on week 6 of Elleste Duet 1mg

Background - 43, hot flushes since I was 38, gave up smoking at 41 and suddenly meno symptoms increased. Depression, anxiety, loss of libido, dryness, inability to think straight...however my periods were every 28 days as they have been since I was 11. I had gained 2 stone as I had give up smoking 16 months previously, however I am a fitness freak and was / am very fit.

Day 2 - I thought I had made the biggest mistake, I seemed to be 'off on one' with major PMT which was very out of character (I still think this was the HRT, but others may say it was too soon to have any effect).

Day 4 - I really started to feel better, I honestly can not explain why and how I felt better I just did. This could be a placebo effect...but who cares.

Week 14 - Huge improvement in my mental health, my well being in general and frankly I found my sense of humour in my sock draw!

The downside though was: a dull headache for the first few weeks but this was not unbearable, very sore heavy breasts, huge water retention making me feel fat and even though I had joined a fat club I was not losing weight, even though I swim a mile every morning and gym / class / spin / run most evenings.

Day 20 - Had bad period pain without the period which was very worrying this continued for another 7 days.

Day 28 - Started period right on schedule, so being on HRT never interfered with my normal cycle. However I had bad period pain for the first 2 days.

Six weeks - Headache gone, no more lower pain, no more sore breasts, no more water retention and I have dropped half a stone in two weeks (with fat club and exercise). Slight improvement in libido but nothing to write home about, however I do live in hope. ;)

HRT is a very personal thing, however at 43 with a career, a social life and a great marriage I was not prepared to live my life with depression, anxiety, mood swings AND become just another grumpy middle aged woman. Each to their own, however I have no problem with the heath scares as I have smoked, I have had too much sun, I have drank and eaten the wrong things and I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. ;D

I will update in a month xx
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:24:06 AM by Harrys-girl »

wiselittleant

« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »

Hi, I am new in the forum. I am 45 and after almost 4 years of suffering with palpitations, insomnia, anxiety, lack of energy and many other symptoms I am finally trying HRT (my second week on Femoston 1 10, just started with the progesterone part)
The only improvement I perceive at the moment is I am sleeping better, but I still struggle with palpitations when I go to bed and when I wake up. I can have a very good day and still having them when I go to bed. I can have a good night sleep and still wake up with them. I always thought that anxiety gave me palpitations, but lately I realized it is probably the other way round?
Anyway, I just meant to ask, any other person that tried Femoston 1 10 and can tell me if symptoms improve with time?

Thank you very much for your help

Bette

« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

Hi wiselittleant (great name, btw!  ;) )
 :welcomemm:
I'd say that the HRT will take a bit longer to kick in completely. I found that some symptoms improved after a month or so, others took longer. Palps are a common symptom and may well be caused by an adrenaline surge - I didn't get palps but did suddenly feel anxious and would wake with a start in the night.
Not on Femoston so can't comment on that one.
Maybe you could start a new thread on "New Members" as more folk will see that - newbies sometimes get missed in the middle of existing threads.
Lots of info in the Green Menu and you'll lots of support here, so browse around and join in. And don't forget to check out the "Funnies."  ;D
Bette x

silverlady

« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »

For Bette and all us on HRT, to make you feel even better :)

I follow this Drs Blog  http://andlos.blogspot.com/2010/08/youthful-skin-with-bioidentical-hormone.html

Remember we have the bios in UK just not the compounds.

silverlady xx

Trey

« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »

Can I just add one bit of experience I had, especially if Larky looks in.  I tried my Estrace cream on my cheeks (on face cheeks), did not use much.  I got a visual migraine almost right away or within a few hours.

Whenever I recommend estradiol cream I try to remember to pass on what this leading gyns' study said: that is, one must be consistent in usage in order to form a layer of superficial cells (this was a study on the vag for dryness, etc.) and after the first week of use, very little Estrace, Vagifem is absorbed, because the superficial layer protects against the absorbing.  

One must not use it intermittently, but should have a consistent maintenance schedule of twice a week on average, or each time one starts anew, more is absorbed.  I've been afraid to try it again as I loathe visual migraines.  

Perhaps others will not have this experience.  I do not normally get visual aura unless a spike in Estrogen.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 05:39:59 PM by Taylor »

silverlady

« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »

Taylor I only use a tiny amount of estriol ( not estrodiol) mixed in a tub of my face cream and dab on the lower part of my face about a couple of times a week, I have never had a headache from it, other then that I just use a 0.25 estrogen patch. I don't have any vaginal problems.

I find it interesting that estrogen is very useful for scars in elderly people and have read many papers alluding to it.

Estrogen is very good for the skin as well as joint pain also for fibromyalgia, the research is ongoing.
I did think this doctors blog was interesting, but we are all different in how react to all drugs.

silverlady x

DaisyChain

« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »

Today, and I can only speak for today as yesterday I felt irritable and low and had an ocular migraine, I feel splendid and am on my 2nd week of oestrogen in Climagest. I feel bloomin marvellous in fact.

I hope this continues as it did last month and longer as I turned into a frightful cow once I started the progesterone.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. Pllleeeeeaaaassssssseeeee!!!!!!!

wallflower

« Reply #478 on: April 15, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »

Hello,
I know you posted your response to Premique in 2009...but I found your comments really helpful.  You said that all your symptoms calmed down but you still had mood swings....have these calmed down too....mine are going balistic....
Thanks
xx

DaisyChain

« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

I am now on tridestra as I react to progesterone and my alternative Dr said if you react to it he saw no reason to keep me on it for three months to see if the side affects got better. So far so good. Although I still have no sex drive which is a problem. Especially as the progesterone seems to be the thing that helps. The rest of this is going on in the private section.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 83