Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 827514 times)

Valsmart

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #810 on: April 12, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »

Thanks dancing girl the 2 times I tried vagifem it gave me thrush it's one of the side effects not sure if all vaginal eostrogen will do it I'm 47 and never had any issues until last year it's affecting my work as I can't sleep and the anxiety is through the roof I can't sleep without pills

Dancinggirl

« Reply #811 on: April 12, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »

The vagifem shouldn't have actually given you the thrush and certainly not on one or two doses - did you have a cottage cheese type discharge and felt itchy, burning and sore? If you just had a bit of soreness or burning then this is normal when first starting Vagifem or any local oestrogen treatment.  As I mentioned, some lubricants are a good idea alongside.
It could be worth coming off the nacrez (if it is a BCP) to see what is happening with your cycle, get some blood tests done for oestrogen and FSH levels once you have been off the BCP fro a month and if there are indications that you are peri menopausal then HRT would be the appropriate treatment. At your age it is not good to be oestrogen deficient so HRT is the the way forward to not only treat the meno symptoms but also to protect your heart and bones for the long term. Dg x

Valsmart

« Reply #812 on: April 13, 2016, 04:23:23 AM »

I tried the 2 week treatment that went ok it was when I went down to the 2x week the thrush started it is one of the side effects on the box I use yes yes as a moisturiser not on anything at the moment for vag dryness what do the ladies recommend 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #813 on: April 13, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »

Valsmart - I think you have posted on the wrong thread???  You need to do this post not eh 'Vaginal Dryness and atrophy' thread to get the responses you need.  You could simply start your own thread under 'All things Menopause'.

The possibility of getting thrush, BV and UTIs increases with meno as the flora balance in the vagina changes and this can result in some bacteria and thrush taking hold - using some vaginal products to prevent this is the often best way forward I find.   There are various that are good but Sylk can be excellent. I also use Multi Gyn Actigel every day to prevent any BV or thrush actually starting.
It is weill worth continuing with Vagifem as it will help the whole vaginal and bladder area to stay healthy - just use some Multi Gyn as well to keep things comfortable.  Oh goodness, isn't the menopause a challenge!!! :-\DG x

Valsmart

« Reply #814 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »

Sorry dancing girl thanks for the advice having trouble understanding all this lol

Beautifulprune

« Reply #815 on: April 28, 2016, 06:47:22 PM »

I watched my mother struggle without hrt and the strain it put on our mother/daughter relationship was intense. We have spent periods of time with no contact and I do not remember my childhood fondly.  She was very irrational, angry, spiteful, depressed, agoraphobic etc and it is only now that I am at this stage of life I realise why she was that way.

My children are still young and just coming to be tweens. I explain that just as they are reaching puberty and at the mercy of their hormones I too am going through reverse puberty.  I hate the shouty mum I am becoming and hrt seems to be a blessing. If it works for me it will improve not only my quality of life but be life changing for two children as their future development and opportunities for happiness depends on me. I embrace hrt wholeheartedly

Cazikins

« Reply #816 on: April 28, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »

I watched my mother struggle without hrt and the strain it put on our mother/daughter relationship was intense.

Me too - I remember coming home one day & my mum was in a right tearful state, she said that no one would miss her if she put her head in the gas oven.... I thought she was bonkers at the time, but now I totally understand how she must have felt.  :(

Caroldanby

• First Flush
« Reply #817 on: May 23, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

I had a sub total hysterectomy when I was 53 and two years later the menopause hit me.  I was going through a stressful period at the time, my husband had just been made redundant we were moving house and my boss decided to start bullying me!!  I have struggled on for 3 years as I said I would never take hrt.  After some nasty urine infections, impossible to have sex and drenching sweats I have started on Evoril patches.  I feel so guilty for taking it but I sleep through the night, and feel like me again.  I decided that the insomnia and sweating also cannot be doing my body any good at all

Dancinggirl

« Reply #818 on: May 23, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

Hi caroldanby and welcome to MM

Please, please don't feel guilty about taking HRT. The anti HRT lobby is very strong and is led by those lucky women who don't really suffer with meno symptoms.  As you only need oestrogen the risks for you are virtually nil so there may well be no reason why you can't use oestrogen fro the rest of your life.  The quality of your life and the life of those around you is very important - lack of sleep, low mood and generally feeling rubbish most of the time is no way to live.  Do remember that the oestrogen will be protecting your bones from osteoporosis, it will also protect your heart and very importantly HRT will improve energy and health generally. It's a 'no brainer' really. 
BTW - if sex is still be a bit uncomfortable then do ask for some Vagifem local oestrogen to use alongside the systemic oestrogen as this will really help.  Vaginal moisturiser e.g. Sylk is also great to use.  DG x 

emblake

« Reply #819 on: August 05, 2016, 03:24:17 AM »

I am 54, after having heavy periods for years, have had all the various treatments, and refusing to have a hysterectomy, I was given decapeptyl injections monthly, which worked fine, no problems at all.  Then my doctor said i needed to see the gynae as I had been on it a long time, decision was made to stop the injections and start on elleste duet hrt, after a while, more heavy periods, another visit to gynae, this time she recommended tridestra, here we are day 25 and the pain is sooooo bad, I have had enough.  The gynae did say if tridestra doesnt work she will allow me back on decapeptyl.
Im in so much pain, its 4am cant go on.... Will get hold of doctor tomorrow and get referred back to gynae.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #820 on: August 05, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM emblake
Heavy bleeds can be such a nuisance - have they identified the cause?  Fibroids, polyps? Do you have endometriosis?
I am also wondering why they haven't suggested you have a Mirena fitted? The Mirena can often reduce and even stop all bleeding, control endo and shrink fibroids if they are a nuisance.
Giving you HRT could have stimulated the womb lining which would result in cramps and bleeding.
You do need to hot foot back to the GP - get a referral to the gynae to have your womb checked out - identify why you have cramps and such heavy bleeding and do ask about the Mirena.  I have to say if I had your problems and a hysterectomy was offered, then I would jump at it.  A hyster can bring other problems but at least it stops the problems with bleeding and makes life easier - one tends to only need oestrogen after the uterus is removed - although if you suffer with endometriosis then they often prescribed combined HRT.
Keep us posted.  Dg x

nothappybun

« Reply #821 on: September 25, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »

Just started, don't even consider if it is good or bad I just know I NEED IT!
When I settle in post will definitely try alternatives right now just can't cope without.

Anna02

• First Flush
« Reply #822 on: December 13, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »

I can it has been an absolute life saver for me. I had severe bladder symptoms - felt like I was sitting on razor blades and going to the loo 6 times a night. I also had ferocious hot flushes during the night so either way wasn't getting any sleep. I was on my knees. It has resolved those symptoms with the odd top up of Estradiol cream needed and I have gone back to being "me". Taking HRT is a balancing act of risk versus quality of life and for me it has been a very positive decision. The question now is when is the right time to come off it ....

LostLady

« Reply #823 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »

Today is my first day on Elleste Duet 1mg, I was unsure if I wanted to go down the HRT route, but I am struggling to cope with my mood swings, lack of sex drive and lethargy.  I have three months worth to try. I have read the leaflet and my Doctor talked me through the possible side effects,so I will monitor my progress.

I would also like to say, I am so thankful for this forum, it has helped me no end with my feelings. Just being able to get things off my chest has been a real help. Thank you to all you lovely ladies for your support.

LostLady

Taz2

« Reply #824 on: December 20, 2016, 11:28:43 AM »

LostLady - not so lost now that you have us!  :foryou:

Taz x  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 83