Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Menopause and Work - Colleagues Reaction  (Read 25695 times)

AngelaH

Re: Menopause and Work - Colleagues Reaction
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 10:08:35 AM »

“Menopause and work” is very sensitive subject, I went myself through it a year ago. I didn’t talk about menopause to my team, I know that even not every medical profession can understand how meno symptoms can be severe and effect your life, some GPs have very limited knowledge of it, so I didn’t expect my team would understand such things. I contacted HR and asked to put me in touch with someone who can help me, so they did. Of course because of foggy brain and low concentration ability I had to give up job, which I did before, I asked the company to move me to job which doesn’t require high concentration, I also had my hours cut and adjusted to my needs. Unfortunately when you feel too ill to work you need to lower your expectations and try to adjust everything in your life to your body needs. Nobody in my team knows my diagnosis, they only know I have disability, they don’t ask me about that and I never talk to them about that. I think it should be kept privately and I only talk to HR and a person who is responsible for disability matters at work.

This is just my experience, but I believe a lot of depends on company rules of course, how they can deal with it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 11:14:21 AM »

However: menopause is not a disability ............ any more than pregnancy is.  There's an article in today's Telegraph stating that in the work place 1 must not say that a pregnant woman is hormonal !  As if any1 would  :-X

Tnx Dazedandconfused  :D

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 11:36:13 AM »

We have a list of resources on our Menopause at Work page:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause_at_work.php

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 11:41:12 AM »

:thankyou:

AngelaH

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 12:29:54 PM »

However: menopause is not a disability ......

menopause symptoms have a long term and substantial impact on a woman’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities, these symptoms could be considered a disability. If menopause symptoms amount to a disability, an employer will be under a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/guidance/menopause-workplace-guidance-employers#:~:text=If%20menopause%20symptoms%20have%20a,obligation%20to%20make%20reasonable%20adjustments.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 12:35:54 PM »

That doesn't mean that menopause itself is a disability.  Any illness may contribute to problems in the work place. 

AngelaH

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 12:44:12 PM »

That doesn't mean that menopause itself is a disability.  Any illness may contribute to problems in the work place.

When the symptoms are too severe and affect every day life and ability to work employers take them under disability act, and you are entitled to work adjustment. Without that some of us can’t continue employment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:45:31 PM by AngelaH »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 01:36:40 PM »

:thankyou:

Beatrixx

• First Flush
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 03:07:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went back to work today, hence the delay in my acknowledgment.

The grievance is now official, HR sent an individual emails to all concerned to say formal investigations have started. I feel guilty but I don't know why.

Menopause and work” is very sensitive subject, I went myself through it a year ago. I didn’t talk about menopause to my team, I know that even not every medical profession can understand how meno symptoms can be severe and effect your life, some GPs have very limited knowledge of it, so I didn’t expect my team would understand such things. I contacted HR and asked to put me in touch with someone who can help me, so they did. Of course because of foggy brain and low concentration ability I had to give up job, which I did before, I asked the company to move me to job which doesn’t require high concentration, I also had my hours cut and adjusted to my needs. Unfortunately when you feel too ill to work you need to lower your expectations and try to adjust everything in your life to your body needs. Nobody in my team knows my diagnosis, they only know I have disability, they don’t ask me about that and I never talk to them about that. I think it should be kept privately and I only talk to HR and a person who is responsible for disability matters at work.

I decided to disclose only that I was going through the menopause, and about my vertigo attacks, I didn't go into too much detail about any other symptoms. To me, at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. I felt to hide it would only cause trouble and speculation. You know, I think I would be in same position if I didn't say anything. She would have found something else to complain about.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:09:11 PM by Beatrixx »

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 04:39:55 PM »

Don't U feel guilty!  Be pleased that your raised concerns have been listened to.  The Company may already have 'their eye on ' this person ;-).  Get on with learning your job so that you enjoy it.  Let us know how you get on!

Penguin

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2024, 04:43:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went back to work today, hence the delay in my acknowledgment.

The grievance is now official, HR sent an individual emails to all concerned to say formal investigations have started. I feel guilty but I don't know why.

Menopause and work” is very sensitive subject, I went myself through it a year ago. I didn’t talk about menopause to my team, I know that even not every medical profession can understand how meno symptoms can be severe and effect your life, some GPs have very limited knowledge of it, so I didn’t expect my team would understand such things. I contacted HR and asked to put me in touch with someone who can help me, so they did. Of course because of foggy brain and low concentration ability I had to give up job, which I did before, I asked the company to move me to job which doesn’t require high concentration, I also had my hours cut and adjusted to my needs. Unfortunately when you feel too ill to work you need to lower your expectations and try to adjust everything in your life to your body needs. Nobody in my team knows my diagnosis, they only know I have disability, they don’t ask me about that and I never talk to them about that. I think it should be kept privately and I only talk to HR and a person who is responsible for disability matters at work.

I decided to disclose only that I was going through the menopause, and about my vertigo attacks, I didn't go into too much detail about any other symptoms. To me, at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. I felt to hide it would only cause trouble and speculation. You know, I think I would be in same position if I didn't say anything. She would have found something else to complain about.

Well done, and no need to feel guilty. What you've done is brave and empowering!

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 08:04:56 PM »

Group  :hug:

getting_old

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2024, 10:01:33 PM »

It sounds like this person is very bitter and was probably causing problems before you even took the job, and like you say would have found some way to try to discredit you. At least you are aware of what they are doing, and have been able to raise the problem to the company, so they can take appropriate action.
I am surprised that the mediator didn't step in, and would be inclined to raise a complaint there. You obviously went into the session with the intent to sort out a problem, and whilst their role is to be impartial, what actually happened was a direct personal attack on you, which should have been stopped. Mediation should focus on resolving a problem, and not the people involved.

T’oldlass

• First Flush
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 08:38:35 AM »

I’ve cringed reading the OPs first post. For a woman to vilify another woman like that is absolutely appalling. What happened to supporting each other? How toxic is she? I’ve never wished anyone any ill-will but may all the symptoms of the menopause rain down on her in Biblical fashion when it’s her time. And to hide behind confidentiality is criminal because I bet the rest of the team don’t feel the same. Make sure you speak to your union - it shouldn’t matter if you’ve only been in it for a couple of weeks. It’s terrible and I can’t imagine what you’re going through. Life at our stage is hard enough without having issues like this on top of it. I want to hold her while you punch her which probably isn’t PC but I’m sure you’d feel a bit better….what a dreadful state of affairs!

Have a look at the links below:

https://www.acas.org.uk/menopause-at-work/menopause-and-the-law

https://www.acas.org.uk/menopause-at-work/talking-with-staff-about-the-menopause

Let us know how you get on x

Beatrixx

• First Flush
« Reply #29 on: Today at 10:05:51 AM »

Hi All

I have no update. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has replied and offered advice.

@T'oldlass - thank you for the ACAS links, especially 'Talking with Staff'. I thought I was in the wrong for disclosing my menopause with my team but I see now that I was well within my right to do so. I have spoken to the union, they can't do anything for me because my membership started after this situation started. I'm very much on my own.

I was supposed to have a meeting with HR today, however, my anxiety over having to go into work is so bad that I simply can't go in. They've taken all my responsibilities away from me so I am certain I'm going to lose my job. I have a job interview tomorrow plus I have a doctor's appointment to discuss potentially being signed off with stress. So even they do sack me, I'll be fine. Worst comes to worst, I'll take early retirement and find a part-time job.

Truth be told, I've decided I don't want to work for this company anymore. They've handled the situation poorly, they've allowed this woman to bully me out of my position. I can't remember if I disclosed in my original post that she had applied for my job. She's been causing trouble ever since I got the job over her, before I started. They should have put her on a formal warning before she was let loose on me.

A positive! My Evrol conti patches have done wonders to manage my peri-menopause. As predicted the vertigo attacks have stopped and I feel physically great. More importantly, the heavy bleeding has stopped  :)
« Last Edit: Today at 10:09:53 AM by Beatrixx »
Pages: 1 [2]