Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Update on hysteroscopies complaint  (Read 921 times)

Jules

Update on hysteroscopies complaint
« on: May 20, 2024, 03:34:37 PM »

I hope this post is okay and doesn't break rules. If it does I would like an explanation why before its removed rather than a statement that its been reported. It feels a bit like school.

I've had a reply from my MP with a letter from Maria Caulfield MP.
It's quite long but mentions the Women's Health Strategy 2022. She also states that NHS England  are clear that women should be offered information about pain relief options prior to consenting to the procedure, that women should feel able to stop the procedure at any time and should be able to discuss alternative treatment.

There is also a women's health area on the NHS website and a section on hysteroscopy.   www.nhs.uk/womens-health.

In Feb 2023, the Royal college of obstetricians and gynaecologists published a good practice paper www.rcog.org.uk/media/ymvha2n3/gpp16-final-publication-proof.pdf

The RCOG is also updating its best practice in outpatient hysteroscopy guidelines. It's currently under peer review and due to be published soon.

I haven't checked any of it yet but will do. There's one thing publishing guidance, it's another getting it put into practice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Update on hysteroscopies complaint
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 03:37:41 PM »

I agree - what's written down on paper can soon go to the bottom of the 'in-tray'!  Pity that medics don't read what is suggested by these various bodies for which the tax payer is charged!  Glad that you had a reply ...... that isn't lip service.

Northerngirl

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 04:02:01 PM »

Keep up the good work Jules, looks like you're getting a  positive response.
Like you and CLKD say...they can publish all the paperwork they like but if nobody takes any notice of it what's the point.
Us ladies just need to make sure that when we are treated badly we kick up a fuss and get heard.
Well done Jules :)

Jules

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 05:30:10 PM »

Keep up the good work Jules, looks like you're getting a  positive response.
Like you and CLKD say...they can publish all the paperwork they like but if nobody takes any notice of it what's the point.
Us ladies just need to make sure that when we are treated badly we kick up a fuss and get heard.
Well done Jules :)

Well Im surprised I've got a response so quickly although my MP has been quite good at getting information like that. I wasn't asked if I wanted them to stop, I could barely speak as I was fainting and I wasn't provided with the gas and air.  I wouldn't complain to the hospital. I don't want to cause any trouble for the doctor and nurses and that's just one hospital anyway, It's probably the same in others.  I'll have a read of these web pages later.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 05:37:04 PM »

It's always good to raise awareness, so thanks for your ongoing work on this Jules.

It does seem that at the moment it is that individual women's responsibility to advocate for themselves. Some women don't feel able to disagree or raise concerns with a gynaecologist.

Those of us who can either challenge the status quo at the time of a procedure or after it, will hopefully encourage a change in practices. it does seem like we've been waiting for things to improve for a long time though.

Jules

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 10:19:04 PM »

It's always good to raise awareness, so thanks for your ongoing work on this Jules.

It does seem that at the moment it is that individual women's responsibility to advocate for themselves. Some women don't feel able to disagree or raise concerns with a gynaecologist.

Those of us who can either challenge the status quo at the time of a procedure or after it, will hopefully encourage a change in practices. it does seem like we've been waiting for things to improve for a long time though.
Yes I suppose its at least a reminder that some women are still having bad experiences.  But when you are sat in a compromising position with someone putting a camera inside, you're hardly in a position to challenge.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 08:40:49 AM »

It's been the same across maternity services in many areas  :'( and yesterday at my dental appt he briefly said "Ill get X to do the treatment" and I didn't think to ask any more so need to send an e-mail to the surgery to clarify because I had assumed that he would do what is required.   :-\

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 10:02:27 AM »

But when you are sat in a compromising position with someone putting a camera inside, you're hardly in a position to challenge.

I can be very assertive but when in these kind of situations I am like a lamb to the slaughter, nerves take over and its impossible for me to challenge anything.
The only time I was assertive was when after giving birth for the first time I needed stitches and that was the last straw, I told the doctor to bloody well hurry up I've had enough of all this, he didn't bat an eyelid, seen it all before I suppose.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 10:33:57 AM by Ayesha »

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »

But when you are sat in a compromising position with someone putting a camera inside, you're hardly in a position to challenge.

I can be very assertive but when in these kind of situations I am like a lamb to the slaughter, nerves take over and its impossible for me to challenge anything.
The only time I was assertive was when after giving birth for the first time I needed stitches and that was the last straw, I told the doctor to bloody well hurry up I've had enough of all this, he didn't bat an eyelid, seen it all before I suppose.

There's something about being in medical places that can make people become really passive. I saw it happen with my mum and I was her advocate a lot of the time as she would never ask or challenge, even when it was young and clearly jumior doctors (house officer level). But I have also more recently seen it happen with me. This whole conversation about hysteroscopy has made me adamant I'd point blank refuse without being put to sleep for it, as I just can't guarantee I'd be able to speak up if I was awake and went through what some of the ladies here have gone through.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 01:20:03 PM »

I'm pretty assertive, came with my job. But when you're at the mercy of someone to diagnose and treat you, it's like you don't want to irritate them and in my case sat with legs akimbo, gyny crouched below with a scope up there, and fainting,  I couldn't say assertive never mind be it!

merrygoround

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 12:21:22 PM »

I hope this post is okay and doesn't break rules. If it does I would like an explanation why before its removed rather than a statement that its been reported. It feels a bit like school.
Annoying isn't it? When I take the time to reply or ask a question I hate it being randomly deleted by a moderator with no explanation whatsoever.
It's just plain rude.

It seems like their dubious motivation wouldn't gain support, otherwise they wouldn't hide behind the "we don't enter into discussion" rule.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 10:30:04 PM »

Annoying isn't it? When I take the time to reply or ask a question I hate it being randomly deleted by a moderator with no explanation whatsoever.
It's just plain rude.

It seems like their dubious motivation wouldn't gain support, otherwise they wouldn't hide behind the "we don't enter into discussion" rule.
It wasn't mine that was removed, but another one that I was interested in. Someone said they'd reported it, no reason given and I asked why but the who thing was removed.