Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 1252 times)

Katie

• First Flush
Bleeding
« on: May 20, 2024, 01:20:07 PM »

Hello Ladies, I'm New to this forum and hopefully looking for some reassurance.
I am  55 yrs old and am post menopausal.  I have now been on HRT for 2 yrs. Just under 2 weeks ago I started to get really painful breasts, feeling  very full like when you are about to have a period. I decided to reduce my 1 pump a day of oestrogel to half a pump.i continued to take 100mg capsule of utrogestan a night. I then went away for 3 days and decided not to use the oestrogel but continue to take the capsule. After a couple of days start sporting. A little brownish discharge after wiping. I go back to using the full pump of oestrogel but continue to have spotting. It has got heavier and last night looked like a proper period. I made an appointment with the doctor this morning and he has said he will put an urgent referral in on the cancer pathway to be seen in 2 to 4 weeks. My question is could it be related to the HRT doses missed even though my prescription is relatively low ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 02:48:07 PM »

Absolutely most likely 2B related to the ups and downs of your regime.  Your GP is wrong to suggest the 'cancer' pathway ...... a 2 week pathway may take 3-4 weeks to don't worry!  These scans etc. will give you a base line from which to work.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Also take a list of any concerns to the appt.

:welcomemm:   Let us know how you get on.  Why did U begin HRT initially, has the treatment ease those feelings? 

Jules

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 03:12:33 PM »

Hello Ladies, I'm New to this forum and hopefully looking for some reassurance.
I am  55 yrs old and am post menopausal.  I have now been on HRT for 2 yrs. Just under 2 weeks ago I started to get really painful breasts, feeling  very full like when you are about to have a period. I decided to reduce my 1 pump a day of oestrogel to half a pump.i continued to take 100mg capsule of utrogestan a night. I then went away for 3 days and decided not to use the oestrogel but continue to take the capsule. After a couple of days start sporting. A little brownish discharge after wiping. I go back to using the full pump of oestrogel but continue to have spotting. It has got heavier and last night looked like a proper period. I made an appointment with the doctor this morning and he has said he will put an urgent referral in on the cancer pathway to be seen in 2 to 4 weeks. My question is could it be related to the HRT doses missed even though my prescription is relatively low ?
I'm sure the NICE guidance is that bleeding within the first 6 months of HRT can be normal. After that and in post menopausal women,  it should be checked. I'm sure your doctor is only following protocol and making sure there's nothing to worry about. The cancer pathway seems the routine thing now until they know everything is fine. I've been referred for scans after spotting.  I would trust your doctor.  It's better they're overcautious than apathetic

Katie

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 04:48:30 PM »

Thank you for your responses. I went on HRT to help with night time hot flushes, terrible lower leg pain, foggy brain and sleep issues unfortunately the bleeding is getting heavier. I'm now at day 7 .

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 04:49:10 PM »

That would almost certainly be because you stopped the gel then started again that has happened to me as well before.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 05:27:35 PM »

Any time I forgot to change my patch I would have bleeding so your change seems a reasonable explanation.

Katie

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 05:46:17 PM »

Thank you. I'm really trying not to worry but it's so hard. Just when I think it's gone back to slight spotting it seems to then flood out again.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2024, 10:23:20 PM »

My friend has had similar. It sounds as though its the HRT but your doctor must want to be sure. Try not to worry too much. You'll get some reassurance.

Katie

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 05:11:01 PM »

I have my appointment through to attend the gynae oncology clinic on Friday.  Seeing the word oncology has reduced me to 😢 tears.As well as receiving the letter in the post this morning I also had a phone call from the hospital telling me the appointment will be a 30 minutes consultation. Do you think that means no tests or scan will be done ?

Nas

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 06:17:34 PM »

If your appointment is 30 minutes, they may decide to
do a scan or biopsy.

Do you have fibroids? These can sometimes cause bleeding when on HRT ( although you have been on HRT for two years, so not sure on that one).

More than likely, the bleeding is due to the stopping and starting of oestrogen. Any changes ( big or small ) can trigger spotting or bleeding in my experience.

Agree with Jules; your GP is following the correct guidelines. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck for Friday 🌺
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 06:19:39 PM by Nas »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2024, 06:22:13 PM »

Katie, If it was me I'd ring the department and ask them what will happen at the appointment. That way you are prepared. Good its this week though.

Jules

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 09:03:53 PM »

Katie, If it was me I'd ring the department and ask them what will happen at the appointment. That way you are prepared. Good its this week though.

I would too especially after my experience. Best to be prepared and in control.

Northerngirl

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2024, 06:55:24 AM »

Hi Katie, just wanted to say please don't worry about your appointment being with "gynae/oncology " I had this last December and went into a complete meltdown when my email and letter said the same. As some of the ladies on MM told me this does not always mean cancer as they also deal with complex gynae conditions, as was my case.. it all turned out fine!!
You are getting the very best care and being seen really quickly, so this is positive news.
I know it's easy to say don't worry but please try not to. You will hopefully get some answers.
Let us know how you go

Katie

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2024, 07:07:04 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words and reassurance, im so glad i have found this forum. I have a blood test at the Dr's this morning.The bleeding has returned to spotting again as of yesterday, however I did try not to walk around as much yesterday to see of that would help.

SallyPickle

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2024, 09:34:41 AM »

So sorry you are having all this worry, it’s horrible.  I’ve had similar experiences in the past.  I don’t know if this will help but the BMS have recently issued detailed recommendations for post menopausal bleeding on hrt and I’ve found it really useful and also very reassuring as I think only just over 2% of bleeding ends up showing some signs of cancer.  The link is here but if it doesn’t work if you just search BMS post menopausal bleeding the pdf will most likely come up.

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/01-BMS-GUIDELINE-Management-of-unscheduled-bleeding-HRT-APRIL2024-F.pdf

Wishing you lots of luck for your appointment tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2