Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Starting HRT - Surgical menopause / hysterectomy - when will it kick in??  (Read 181 times)

velo-femme

• First Flush

Hi everyone -

I am new here and looking for someone else possibly with a similar experience to me.

I am 55 and have been having symptoms - hot flushes/lack of sleep/brain fog for about 2 years now, right when my periods starting becoming less regular. But then over the past year I had some fibroid issue so had to sort that out... it got so big that I had to have a hysterecomy in Jan. Overall the surgery went ok. I kept my ovaries as the surgeon said they looked heatlhy, but my tubes/uterus, cervix was removed.

So now that I have recovered from the surgery, the hot flushes have now returned! My GP just perscribed me an estrogen patch over the phone (its 50 dose). I am just wondering... how long before it starts working? As I no longer have a uterus, I dont need progesterone as well... but how long before I know if the dose is too low? I see things on the internet from "a few weeks" to "3 months". Would like someone who has some experience to share it.

Before I had my surgery I was still getting my periods at age 55, even the day before I was still bleeding! So I am probably still having some natural estrogen left, although probably not too much...

thanks for listening!

I really hope these hot flushes will end soon as I cannot sleep.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:   hysterectomy is major surgery so it may take a while for the body to readjust. 

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful.  Your ovaries will continue to perform a little so try not to rush ;-).  Hopefully some1 will be along with advice about the HRT.

Arya Underfoot

Hi, I have had a hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. I was on HRT before the surgery and continued afterwards. I still take progesterone because I feel better on it, so you can still take it without a cervix and get some benefits, especially better sleep. I would give the 50 patch one month and then take small increases to find out your best dose. You can cut your patch up or try some gel alongside your patch to get the right dose. Hope those flushes ease for you soon.

Gnatty

Slightly different story as I had my ovaries removed but anecdotally my understanding is that even if you keep your ovaries, they can go into a bit of a shock after hysterectomy and refuse to play ball for a while! Maybe have a search on this particularly on Louise Newson s Balance website. So it might be that you are going to need to up your hrt to counteract the lack of oestrogen. x