Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I gained 8ibs on evorel sequi  (Read 559 times)

Abs75

I gained 8ibs on evorel sequi
« on: May 10, 2024, 07:29:59 AM »

I stopped using my Evorel sequi (50) patches just over 2 weeks ago as I put on 8 ibs in the 4 months since starting hrt despite not eating much and going to gym 4 times a week. I had hoped the extra weight would drop off quickly  but so far I’m only 2 ibs down. I would dearly love to go back on hrt as I’m not feeling great but I’m not happy with gaining weight, has anyone else had a experience of this and managed to find a form of hrt that doesn’t cause weight gain? I am peri so I wonder if the 50 patches were just too high for me and if I might do better on a lower dose but I think those are the only patches nhs will prescribe.

DottyD68

Re: I gained 8ibs on evorel sequi
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 08:39:19 AM »

Hi Abs75,

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question but for what it is worth.....

I started on gel in peri and became very swollen around my boobs and trunk (was on 4 pumps at one point). I really noticed the difference when I gradually reduced it and had a break of 3 months.

Due to my age (55) I have been on Evorel conti (50) for 3 months now and do not feel as "swollen" or blobby. Infact I have managed to fit into shorts this week that I haven't been able to get into since before Covid.

Personally I definately think there is a correlation between the level of oestrogen HRT (along with own fluctuating hormones) in terms of weight gain. I exercise on a daily basis and watch my diet and could not shift the bubblewrap that appeared to come from nowhere. I kind of accepted it as a pay off for having other reduced symptoms even though I felt uncomfortable and embarassed.

If it is bothering you, it may be worth trying a lower dose to see if there is any change without bringing your symptoms back.

Abs75

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 10:18:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing your experience Dotty, so do you think with the gel the estrogen level was a lot higher than you’re now getting with the patch? It is so frustrating, the weight is all around my stomach and thighs which is not something I’ve ever had a problem with before. I do feel like I’ve aged loads facially in the 2 and a bit weeks since I stopped the patch though so I’m desperate to find something that works without making me chubby!

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 11:59:14 AM »

I gained steadily as soon as I started on sequi gel and utrogestan. Like you, I've never had an issue with my thighs and hips but now they are large!!! I stopped hrt 3 weeks ago and am yet to see a decrease. Hoping the summer amd more exercise will help!

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 02:27:41 PM »

I definitely think a reduced doseage (whether gel or patch) has "co-incided" with reduced "blubber" so it would suggest a link in my case, however I think there are several variables to take into account.

When I started HRT I was peri-menopausal so my hormones were fluctuating wildly and I think it is really difficult to get the balance of HRT right during this phase, so there will be times when you may have too much oestrogen (your own plus HRT). I still think I may be peri (difficult to know having had bleeds on HRT) but the GPs seem adamant that I should be meno by now as nearly 56. I currently feel like my own hormones are no longer wildly fluctuating and more stable (but who knows when that may change, again  ::) ).

In terms of the HRT itself one of the problems I was having was managing the balance of oestrogen and progesterone (along with everything else). I could tolerate utrogestan for 14 days a month but didn't feel right on continuous utrogestan which is why I went for the patch as GP said I should be on continuous. Other option is Mirena coil for progesterone but I dont want one.

So in summary it could be (any or combination of...) my own hormones have levelled out, the balance of O&P suits me better on the patch and/or the reduced doseage of Oestrogen has reduced the blubber.

Like I say there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer. It is a question of tweaking and I would suggest when tweaking to give it a few weeks to settle before you tweak again.

Hope this makes sense.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 05:01:55 PM »

I stopped using my Evorel sequi (50) patches just over 2 weeks ago as I put on 8 ibs in the 4 months since starting hrt despite not eating much and going to gym 4 times a week. I had hoped the extra weight would drop off quickly  but so far I’m only 2 ibs down. I would dearly love to go back on hrt as I’m not feeling great but I’m not happy with gaining weight, has anyone else had a experience of this and managed to find a form of hrt that doesn’t cause weight gain? I am peri so I wonder if the 50 patches were just too high for me and if I might do better on a lower dose but I think those are the only patches nhs will prescribe.
.  I gained a stone in weight very quickly when I started Evorel Conti but initially attributed the gain to lack of exercise during lockdown (April to July 2020). I went on a diet then but couldn't get my weight below 12 st whatever I tried so started to blame the HRT. I am the same weight now and am trying to lose but still haven't got below that. I get to 12 st and half a pound but then it goes back up by half a pound!

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2024, 06:17:01 PM »

I can relate Katejo,
In terms of exercise I am an ex Personal Trainer and have always been into exercise from childhood and during my previous desk-based career. Although I do not do anywhere near the amount of exercise I did as a PT, I am still very active mainly cycling and walking along with yoga, pilates and some resistance training but no matter how much exercise I have struggled to shift the "blubber" that appeared right around my trunk. I have never been naturally skinny/slender but slimmish, toned and "athletic". I am no Angel in terms of a perfect diet but it is pretty healthy and I am very aware of what and how much I eat/drink. I am not making excuses but I do think a lot of this new-found fat is menopause related (change in metabolism etc) but also related to HRT doseage as I have definitely lost weight since being on a lower dose.

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 06:21:02 AM »

I can relate Katejo,
In terms of exercise I am an ex Personal Trainer and have always been into exercise from childhood and during my previous desk-based career. Although I do not do anywhere near the amount of exercise I did as a PT, I am still very active mainly cycling and walking along with yoga, pilates and some resistance training but no matter how much exercise I have struggled to shift the "blubber" that appeared right around my trunk. I have never been naturally skinny/slender but slimmish, toned and "athletic". I am no Angel in terms of a perfect diet but it is pretty healthy and I am very aware of what and how much I eat/drink. I am not making excuses but I do think a lot of this new-found fat is menopause related (change in metabolism etc) but also related to HRT doseage as I have definitely lost weight since being on a lower dose.

Dotty how long after reducing before you noticed a decrease in the the blubber? And had your thighs got big with it too? I stopped hrt 3 weeks ago and no difference yet, I thought I'd start deflating but no sadly, and I have love handles you can now grab. My estrogen has just come back as high, so it isn't low E causing it, in fact it seems to be related to having high E which I guess is either hrt or my own!

Abs75

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 07:00:42 AM »

I gained steadily as soon as I started on sequi gel and utrogestan. Like you, I've never had an issue with my thighs and hips but now they are large!!! I stopped hrt 3 weeks ago and am yet to see a decrease. Hoping the summer amd more exercise will help!
Ah Penguin you and I are in exactly the same boat! Since I started hrt I also started going to the gym a lot more, I’m now doing a 45 min class 5 days a week so it makes absolutely no sense that I am fatter now than I was before hrt!! I’m wondering if I could ask dr to switch to topical gels or creams so I can tweak the dose myself until I get it right, maybe less estrogen and more progesterone as I’ve read supplementing estrogen too much can cause weight gain.

MrsMitch

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 07:02:13 AM »

I had trouble with weight gain when I first had symptoms of VA and was obviously peri, but I didn't know that at the time. Whilst I don't think HRT (high doses now) has contributed,  I'm just about to start testosterone which I'm told does help with weight gain in the you can lose it easier and not have the propensity to gain, but I realise it may be too soon for you to need that. Liss of libido is what it's prescribed for.

Abs75

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 07:04:50 AM »

I stopped using my Evorel sequi (50) patches just over 2 weeks ago as I put on 8 ibs in the 4 months since starting hrt despite not eating much and going to gym 4 times a week. I
.  I gained a stone in weight very quickly when I started Evorel Conti but initially attributed the gain to lack of exercise during lockdown (April to July 2020). I went on a diet then but couldn't get my weight below 12 st whatever I tried so started to blame the HRT. I am the same weight now and am trying to lose but still haven't got below that. I get to 12 st and half a pound but then it goes back up by half a pound!
Katejo are you still using the conti? I  going to try to change to topical gel or cream and start on as low a dose as I can, see if that helps. I’m very disappointed that stopping the patch didn’t make it all magically melt away!

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 08:02:07 AM »

Hi

There is a good article here on this website which summarises the issue of weight gain at menopause and the contribution of HRT:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Hurdity x

DottyD68

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 08:54:37 AM »

Abs75,
It gradually reduced over a few weeks. It's not all disappeared and I still have some remaining under my belly button but I can live with that. My clothes just feel more comfortable.
I've always been pretty shapeless, no matter what my weight, no curves/shape and although my thighs are pretty solid/muscly they have never been wide. I've just lost some muscle tone on top of legs and bum.

Just thinking this would make a great profile on a dating app wouldn't it  ;D

Hurdity, great article, thank you.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 07:22:11 PM »

I stopped using my Evorel sequi (50) patches just over 2 weeks ago as I put on 8 ibs in the 4 months since starting hrt despite not eating much and going to gym 4 times a week. I
Katejo are you still using the conti? I  going to try to change to topical gel or cream and start on as low a dose as I can, see if that helps. I’m very disappointed that stopping the patch didn’t make it all magically melt away!
. Yes I am still using Conti and my weight has stayed the same all this time. I have briefly tried reducing to half patches but not for long enough to see whether it will make a difference. If my current attempt to lose doesn't take me below 12 st I may try it again. I was exactly that  weight this morning....

Birdbrain

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2024, 07:43:41 PM »

I started Evorel Sequi a few months ago, and my appetitie has exploded (particularly during the Evorel 50 phase) even though I'm on weight loss medication that normally suppresses appetite. I've also been doing loads of exercise so fortunately haven't put on any weight. I do wonder if it's just natural change in appetite as menopause approaches (I started HRT as symptoms became noticeable) or if it's due to my mood improving on HRT or whether it is the patches. It's trange as I feel like in my case it's not so much slowed down my metabolism but speeded it up hence I'm making up for it by eating? Hmm. I guess we're all different. I did read somewhere though that it's best not to put the estrogen patches on your stomach as estrogen attracts fat, but how true that is, I don't know. I put mine on bum/lower back or thighs.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 07:48:18 PM by Birdbrain »
Pages: [1] 2